cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - This looks like an awesome experience and it's it's £3.59. I'm going to purchase this now.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
First we got a nice pancake:

https://youtu.be/a3pTw0jmxlg

- then we got another nice pancake (9/10 positive ratings on Steam):

https://youtu.be/Nxwm5_8rpgw

- which then was transformed into a real game, although designed for Quest (and ported to Rift):

https://youtu.be/FrRS73Kn0js

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2909467265792435/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_29094672657...

It's an Oculus exclusive for now, but it works more than perfectly using the special program called ReAnimator ... no... ReJuvenator...ReLive.. ReVoke...uh, whatever  😉 

Normally I have a passion for disliking the horrible phoneVR-like Race-To-The-Bottom Quest games, but this game is rather good. I guess it's highly optimized and doesn't need tons of polys or photorealistic textures. Now, this game was nice using my CV1 ss 2.0 - although the SDE was disturbingly easy to see due to the bright colors - but the game's out-of-this-world amazing using Index with no-SDE, big fov and res 200% in solid 120 Hz. In fact I think this is the first game I can run in solid 120 Hz even when forcing res 200% (that's 17 mill pixels per frame). 
I'm in such a good mood I might even drop 30 bucks on Lies Beneath, lol (which is another close to 100% Quest port), because Index res 200% in 120 Hz is close to a dream come true. Still, res is way more important than refresh rate - but when res is maxed, 120+ Hz become really interesting.  

Seems like I could become a rather great fan of (some) Quest games!  😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Slightly interesting, but in a shop I saw Sony's new super-cheap 50/60Hz 85" lcd TV (2020 model) - the price is down to about $2k. And I saw something that I knew too well from the Index - namely the columns:

m7c0o67w8093.png

Now my own 100/120 Hz 85" tv does not have these columns at all, but the intro price for that tv was $10k - although that was in spring 2018. I'm still guessing it has a much better panel (Series 9) than the new cheap tvs (Series 8), black levels looked much more gray-ish on the new TV too (but hard to judge without having both TVs next to eachother). 
Of course you're not going to ever see the columns on an 85" tv unless you're really close - and know what to look for (the columns are dynamic, they come and go, you have to be fast to "catch" them - different colors may expose them differently etc). It took my 12 year old son some time to see the columns on the TV even if I repeatedly told him what to look for - but finally he noticed them. Guess most people won't ever see them - but it's much easier using an LCD hmd, lol. Several also see them in the Rift-S, but the Rift-S panel is oriented differently than the Index panels, so in Rift-S you get horizontal columns instead of vertical. 
Not sure what to make of this - maybe Valve used some cheap panels in the Index, or maybe the columns are especially seen in panels with very low refresh rates? Or maybe it's caused by certain types of lcd panels? I don't have the answer... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like Road To VR is being somewhat optimistic, lol - just because the waiting time for the hmd alone may have decreased:

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-stock-check-headset-availability-shipping-countries/

Base stations continue to be totally unavailable. 

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like Road To VR is being somewhat optimistic, lol - just because the waiting time for the hmd alone may have decreased:

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-stock-check-headset-availability-shipping-countries/

I just got a word that mine shipped today and is expected to be here on Wednesday. If that's the case, total turnaround would be 2.5 weeks since I first hit them up.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably a refurbished headset. Apples and oranges; it's a warranty issue. Sorry for the brain fart, lol.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

I just got a word that mine shipped today and is expected to be here on Wednesday. If that's the case, total turnaround would be 2.5 weeks since I first hit them up.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably a refurbished headset. Apples and oranges; it's a warranty issue. Sorry for the brain fart, lol.

How about the columns, did you ever notice them? - also interesting with the new or refurbished headset!  B)
One dude had 5 hmds, he says they all had the columns, but to different degrees. I don't always see them, seems to depend a lot on colors - maybe also slightly on hmd temp (before and after warm-up).
Would greatly dislike getting a new hmd just to find out it also has the columns, especially since my hmd seems to have no other issues (no dead pixels, no dust behind lenses, no glue problems etc)

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

How about the columns, did you ever notice them? - also interesting with the new or refurbished headset!  B)
One dude had 5 hmds, he says they all had the columns, but to different degrees. I don't always see them, seems to depend a lot on colors - maybe also slightly on hmd temp (before and after warm-up).
Would greatly dislike getting a new hmd just to find out it also has the columns, especially since my hmd seems to have no other issues (no dead pixels, no dust behind lenses, no glue problems etc)

My first one had them, but they didn't bother me. In fact, it was only after I looked the issue up online that I could see them. And then also noticed them in my Rift S (differently oriented though). But they never did bother me. Fingers crossed that a new one isn't worse than the previous one.

It's been explained to me that they have something to do with difference in persistence between subpixels. Different colors of subpixels supposedly have different persistence, and are far more susceptible to minute differences in conditions during the manufacture process (which is why some headsets have it more pronounced than others). As a result they become most noticeable while your head is turning. A millisecond of difference between one color of subpixels and the other two is enough to throw off the balance and create the effect.

My biggest worry is that I'll get a headset which has panels from two different batches of LCDs. That's far more likely to produce noticeable issues

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

...it's probably a refurbished headset...

To which I now say:

Cause a BNIB unit arrived after all.

If it's a refurbished one, it sure fooled me - not a spec of dust on it, brand new cables, all nicely wrapped and protected in original packaging.

Vertical columns? Same as before - barely noticeable even when looking for them. I just spent an hour in the headset looking for issues, and I'm one happy customer 😃

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Personally I've found that when the bass gets really deep, vibrations are coming from the Index speakers. Rift CV1 might do the same - and now we're talking really deep bass - but to a much lesser degree. 

My question - if anyone has the time to check it out - if you start Fantasynth (free app) using the Index, are any Index owners able to not experience any rattling in the speakers? Note I have my volume set to 100 (max) in SteamVR, which really isn't very loud, but do reduce the volume if it's too loud. Fantasynth can be downloaded here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/624460/Fantasynth_Chez_Nous/

I'd love to test my theory that all Indices will have this issues - but only when the bass gets really deep - I don't experience sound problems in Pistol Whip, Boneworks etc.
For the record, my high-end Sony headphones (40 and 50 mm drivers) play Fantasynth with as much bass as CV1 and without any rattling at all. 

Some other users convinced me that the Index speakers should indeed be able to produce even the deepest bass with no vibrations. I contacted Valve, and they agreed - and just sent me a new speaker. The new speaker does indeed work perfectly - so do not accept even the slightest sound problems from your Index speakers 😉

It's a slow Thursday - I'll try to pump up this post with some extremely exciting unboxing shots! o:)  😄 This also shows the awesome commitment from Valve, they even sent me a new screwdriver  B)

m8urj4i0nwso.jpg
nh20euf53vdj.jpg
hkp151a9hstx.jpg
sakobmahot8n.jpg

Some close-up shots of the speaker and arm, since I don't remove them often, lol - now's the chance 😉

kv78w2p5uil6.jpg
49ej0ps2adfl.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
After some Blueplanet VR, where you can see like miles into the horizon, I felt like 66 mm IPD was better using Index than my usual 64 mm. Back using the CV1, 64 mm still felt optimal.
Starting to doubt what my real IPD is, today I visited an optician and got my IPD results - I guess their equipment is much better than anything else. She said I was the first ever to get my IPD measured due to VR glasses, lol :blush:  Interestingly, my result was 63.94 mm - surprisingly close to the 64 mm I've been using since 2017 based on my CV1 results. The optician explained that minor errors of measurement could occur, and looking at things very close or very far away could also have a minor impact. I wonder if dialing in the Index lenses could have an impact on IPD... 

But nice to finally know my real number - I guess I'm sticking to the 64 mm I've been using in both Index and CV1. Would be nice if Valve made a proper IPD tool like Oculus to optimally measure IPD and find the sweet spot. I use the CV1 calibration tool every time I use the CV1.