cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no such thing as a killer app that will get vr to the masses

inovator
Consultant
It has been said from the beginning vr needs a killer app to get vr to the masses. Its said to this day by some. Some will say half life Alex is it. It will take many half life Alex games in a constant flow along with other arguable attributes physically needed on a vr headset along with price to accomplish this. My argument is vr is the killer app. 
57 REPLIES 57

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Who cares what the masses do, i already got my VR so i am sorted, let them eat cake.;)
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

inovator
Consultant

OmegaM4N said:

Who cares what the masses do, i already got my VR so i am sorted, let them eat cake.;)

The reason why you should care is if vr sells to the masses and vr games make similar money for developers as pancake games do the quality of games and the number of aaa games will go through the roof.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
The only killer app is an app you can use everyday, it's an app that has broad appeal. No story based game like Half-Life will be a killer app, it's like reading 1 book; that book has a shelf life you will eventually be done with, not to mention the type of genre of book will not appeal to a lot of people in the first place.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyone with ANY sort of sense knows full well that Nakamura's Fall is going to be the killer app for VR, you crazy fools.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I don't think it's about a killer app anymore because there's already some good content in VR now that should appeal to a variety of people. Here's a list > Games, desktop VR, watching media, experiences, social apps, maps, adult content, multitasking. Have I missed anything?
This is only my opinion, but I think it's more about visuals and getting VR to look similar to a 1080P monitor now. That's if we are just talking about native PC -VR and not the standalone Oculus Quest. There are people who are impressed by the immersion VR gives you at first, but then there's a lot of people who just want VR to look as good as a 1080p monitor. When I showed VR to people they would often ask why it was so blurry, but I also found they wowed by the immersion it gave them.
I don't think it's all about content because standalone devices like the Oculus Quest seem to be doing quite well. I think there's also less people who complain about the Oculus Quest visuals, because its just a mobile device and people don't expect games to have great visuals on a mobile device. With PC gamers it's a different kettle of fish, these people are used to playing games with great visuals. PC Gamers are playing on anything from a 1080p monitor to a 4K monitor and have far superior processing power than any mobile device can give them. So yeah, I think some of the PC crowd expect a bit more in the visual department IMHO.
Edit: Triple AAA games also can take years to make, so VR can't just rely on games to be successful, which is why I mentioned the list of other things it also offers right now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The last time the OP started a thread with this hyperbolic clickbait headline, it got closed and the Moderator gave some very intelligent advice:
This could have been quite an interesting thread on comfort although the
subject has been discussed several times already and maybe the slightly
hyperbolic title was a clue that energetic discussion was the aim
rather than the less energetic variety. I usually find that a topic like
this is better served with a question rather than a statement
but I
guess that's me.

Both Half-Life Alyx and Beat Saber have brought millions of users to VR by themselves. When you're in the millions, you are in the masses.

3u7nciu76abj.png

ek1x4zp44xwb.png

Some Math:
  • Beat Saber is in the 2million-5million category
  • HLA is in the 1million-2million category

VR can't be a killer anything if there's no Software to support it. VR isn't a killer App because VR isn't an App. That's just fundamentally wrong on every level.
  • VR is an Industry
  • VR is a platform
  • VR is an ecosystem

I doubt facts will matter in this discussion though, based on the history of how this is always approached lol

inovator
Consultant
Let's stop with the insults. If a member doesn't like the heading then just pass. There is a reason why a certain member got banned twice. It's ok to disagree. I'm just saying.

When I talk about the masses, I'm mean masses similar to what pancake gaming has. Or better said would be mainstream. When I say vr is the killer app of course it's not an app. The point is what will draw people into vr will be vr itself not a particular app. Many have said in the past we need a killer app to make vr mainstream. When vr has enough aaa games and popular software and the right physical attributes it will become mainstream not a so called killer app. (That's singular) half life alex and beat saver help move vr in the right direction but the low millions attracted, moves the needle forward slowly. Yes you need the software for vr. But at the end of the day you can use similar software on other medias. When vr becomes mainstream there will be millions of  people choosing vr as their main media choice. They will be choosing vr to use the software not the software to use vr.

Digikid1
Consultant
You really like your "No such Thing" threads.

inovator
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

You really like your "No such Thing" threads.

I do.