cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no such thing as a killer app that will get vr to the masses

inovator
Consultant
It has been said from the beginning vr needs a killer app to get vr to the masses. Its said to this day by some. Some will say half life Alex is it. It will take many half life Alex games in a constant flow along with other arguable attributes physically needed on a vr headset along with price to accomplish this. My argument is vr is the killer app. 
57 REPLIES 57

inovator
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Zenbane said:

inovator said:
 I stand by what I said.

The data does not stand by what you say. Which is probably why you continue to post without showing any data. I showed the Steam numbers for HLA and Beat Saber, which measures in the millions. You've shown zero data.
The data stands by what I say.

Fully agree, content is key - exactly like Beat Saber and Alyx.

I get the feeling that the OP is just trying to get some reactions by provoking readers - this evening I'll spend some time in VR instead of spending time on a thread that probably never should have been made. 

It should have been made. No provocation intended. Vr is the key then the content. Without vr tech you would have content with other sources but not vr.

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

RuneSR2 said:

Zenbane said:

inovator said:
 I stand by what I said.

The data does not stand by what you say. Which is probably why you continue to post without showing any data. I showed the Steam numbers for HLA and Beat Saber, which measures in the millions. You've shown zero data.
The data stands by what I say.

I get the feeling that the OP is just trying to get some reactions by provoking readers - this evening I'll spend some time in VR instead of spending time on a thread that probably never should have been made. 

It should have been made. No provocation intended. Vr is the key then the content. Without vr tech you would have content with other sources but not vr.

Well it isn't a chicken or the egg situation obviously. You can't have VR games without VR headsets, unless I've misunderstood this post?

But like with any sort of games hardware, whether it's a PC, console or VR headset, content is ALWAYS King. At the moment the vast majority of headsets in homes have been bought by gamers for playing VR games, so you need AAA quality games to attract gamers. Thankfully we've seen PLENTY of these AAA quality games since the Rift and Vive first launched. and the majority of those AAA quality games have been released by Oculus. But there are others (Sony, Valve and HTC) that have added to this top quality content.

But the MAJOR thing that needs to happen is for Microsoft to bring VR to their console, once that happens we'll start to see a shift by publishers and developers from flat development and releases to VR development and releases, and some time between 5 and 10 years after that you'll find only a small minority of developers working on flat games.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

The members are smarter than you believe. 

Most members are smarter than what threads like this impose.  As seen by Rune's reply, who is one of the most credible and knowledgeable VR enthusiasts in the community.
You are literally suggesting that people would put on a VR HMD without regard for the software that they would use; it's rather absurd to suggest. Especially since you compared it to pancake gaming which only thrives because of the existence of "killer apps."

Regardless, you are typing everything you can to avoid doing the hard work and backing up your claims with data. Likely because you know that if you would stop typing auto-replies and actually did some research, the data just might not align with what you're saying. Just like the way your version of kojack's views on Quest were 100% off target.

RuneSR2 said:

Quality advice!

lb3dk1k2auhl.gif

inovator
Consultant
Zenbane: You are literally suggesting that people would put on a VR HMD without regard for the software that they would use; it's rather absurd to suggest. Especially since you compared it to pancake gaming which only thrives because of the existence of "killer apps."

Not true. To get the vr experience you 1st need the vr tech then the software to attract people to use it along with the physical attributes to get even more people to use vr. Pancake gaming thrives because 100s of millions of  people use it so developers have the money to make many more aaa games and experiences. Vr has in the low millions of users and has a long way to go to before it will be able to thrive at the pancake gaming capacity.
To snowdog:
  This is a chicken and egg situation. The tech had to come 1st. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
When a Video recorder was produced years ago, it obviously needed to do something good before anyone would buy it. The Video recorder would eventually end up doing two things, which was to recorded television and you were then able to rent  films and other content for it. So it basically ended up doing what billions of people wanted it to do and so eventually people bought into it.
Now lets talk about VR. The one thing that VR has going for it right now is that it immerses you in games to some degree. But the thing I keep hearing from some gamers is that the visuals just aren't there yet. When the visuals do become acceptable and hopefully a lot of gamers swap their monitor for a VR headset, will these visuals be good enough for the other things that have also been talked about? Things like going ring side and watching a boxing match, or taking a front seat at a concert or a show.
When VR can achieve all this, that is when it will sell to billions of people. I can't see how it will sell to billions of people any other way until it achieves all this. I'd like to say this is only my opinion, but having seen a fair few gamers criticizing the visuals in VR, I can't really say this is only my opinion 😛
Content might be King, but visuals play a big part in all of this 🙂

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

When a Video recorder was produced years ago, it needed to do something good before anyone would actually buy it. The Video recorder would eventually end up doing two things, which was to recorded television and you were then able to rent  films and other content for it. So it basically ended up doing what billions of people wanted it to do and so eventually people bought into it.
Now lets talk about VR. The one thing that VR has going for it right now is that it immerses you in games to some degree. But the thing I keep hearing from some gamers is that the visuals just aren't there yet. When the visuals do become acceptable and hopefully a lot of gamers swap their monitor for a VR headset, will these visuals be good enough for the other things that have also been talked about? Things like going ring side and watching a boxing match, or taking a front seat at a concert or a show.
When VR can achieve all this, that is when it will sell to billions of people. I can't see how it will sell to billions of people any other way until it achieves all this. I'd like to say this is only my opinion, but having seen a fair few gamers criticizing the visuals in VR, I can't really say this is only my opinion 😛
Content might be King, but visuals play a big part in all of this 🙂

Good point. Visuals are in the category of physical attributes  I mentioned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

Zenbane: You are literally suggesting that people would put on a VR HMD without regard for the software that they would use; it's rather absurd to suggest. Especially since you compared it to pancake gaming which only thrives because of the existence of "killer apps."

Not true. To get the vr experience you 1st need the vr tech then the software to attract people to use it along with the physical attributes to get even more people to use vr. Pancake gaming thrives because 100s of millions of  people use it so developers have the money to make many more aaa games and experiences. Vr has in the low millions of users and has a long way to go to before it will be able to thrive at the pancake gaming capacity.
To snowdog:
  This is a chicken and egg situation. The tech had to come 1st. 

It ISN'T a chicken or the egg situation because there's no debate - the VR tech had to come first.

But this is true for ANY gaming hardware, whether it's a GPU or game console. The hardware has to exist before developers can write code that uses it.

inovator
Consultant
Snowdog: the VR tech had to come first.
Agreed

Digikid1
Consultant
Well I know what I have to do...

0ld5mxj7p9cd.gif

and here is enough for everyone....

c2bb5bfa9eux.jpg

inovator
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

Well I know what I have to do...

0ld5mxj7p9cd.gif

and here is enough for everyone....

c2bb5bfa9eux.jpg

Put your headset in that bag and it will pop with added high tech.