cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time VR with Rift S (what a deception)

comatrix
Protege
Hi all,
I finally tried for the first time ever, the VR concept, and with the Rift S, there are positive and negative points, but overall it is a deception, not for the Oculus itself, but about what companies and reviewers claim to be the VR today..., I expected REALLY better than this, A LOT better.
Positive points:
- They do what they claim, I mean the VR concept, it is really addictive, it real feels to be there
- I had no negative points about controller flickering, even if it was not easy to understand at the beginning, how to run games in VR (for example in Assetto Corsa you need to select Rift Rendering, otherwise it will not work even if you start the games from the Oculus itself)
- The wearing of the Rift S is pretty good, even if when it is hot like today, the lenses mist up; it is pretty light to me and the adjustment assets are ok
- Luckily I have an IPD of 65, so it is ok to me
- very nice the pass through implementation, really really good, congratulations developers

Negative points
- First of all the most annoying even irritating point: every time I close a game (app), if you try to start another one it always says that it is not suggested to run multiple apps together for the PC resources, this stay ALL the time, even if you wait 2 hours (some people told me that this depends of SteamVR), you need to close manually every single VR process from the task manager
- Second the graphics aren't great at all, BUT AT ALL, you can see CLEARLY the screen door effect, it is like if you are sleeping under a mosquito met all the time, unless you are on dark areas, there the door effect is less visible but for obvious reasons, after I compared the game graphics on the screen and the same game on the Oculus and OMG, even the HD 1280*720 display is better, but A LOT Better, it seems to play on an OLD 4:3 TV on the Oculus
- The textures aren't displayed in a correct manner, if you approach the object near the Oculus, than the screen door effect almost disappear and you can appreciate REALLY the good work of the developers, but all the rest OMG, on Alyx, which is renowned to be one of the best VR games with best graphics, the cables were flickering on first area, you can see clearly the pixels if you watch far away buildings, even the ALYX text on first screen had some blu/orange halo, depending on how do you move the head and so on (on first thoughts I was thinking it was me not configuring correctly the Rift S, I read a lot on the net and no, the setting were even pushed on high, like 1.5 supersampling for example, 2k resolution and so on (I tried even 4k with same results), it was a REALLY bad experience I'm sorry, to me it's a NO on this aspect
- it is beautiful talking about a real 3D immersive world (and this is the positive point as described before), but you can clearly see that you are inside a cartoon like world, don't get me wrong, I don't mean like a cartoon, I mean you can clearly see that it is not real, not even approach the feeling about it
- I have no idea why, but today I had to do again and again the safe area (like 6/7 times), why it does forget continually the safe area?
- I have a powerful PC, not the top of the top but a high one (CPU AMD 3700x, Asus Strix 2080 Super 3 fans, 32GB of RAM 3.600 CL 19, the maximum on the third generation AMD processor can support on infinity fabric, higher is almost useless, 1.000w PSU, 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 and 2TB SSD 3.0, x570 E Gaming motherboard, 10 Fans Airflow from 240mm to 70mm), that said my GPU reached almost 88 degrees Celsius all the time (190° Fahrenheit), even if I put the graphics on 800x600 and disabling the supersampling (0), is it me or what? If it is, can someone explain me how to low that before I can cook the eggs on my GPU? Thanks a lot
- the dashboard inside the Rift S view is often misplaced, totally on the left or on the right and you can't move it
- often the controller (hands ingame) are misplaced, I mean they are under some objects, walls or under the floor and so on, and you can't restore them if not closing the Oculus software and restart it

OK stop talking because there are other negative aspect to say, but I think you get the message, I mean the idea.
To my humble opinion, the VR concept is really good one, but the development is not even a beta, I feel like it is on a  PRE RELEASE APLHA TEST, not even a complete alpha, but I bought it because I'm an enthusiast, but it is correct to say the truth about it
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB
73 REPLIES 73

MowTin
Expert Trustee
*shrug* Maybe it's not for you. I was blown away by my first experience on the cv1. And the cv1 SDE is far worse than the Rift S. 

But I went into it expecting a SDE because that's what all reviewers said. I don't think there is any reviewer who says the Rift S has no SDE. 

If you focus on the SDE instead of the overall experience that's all you'll see. Your brain has a way of adjusting such that you don't notice the SDE as much. On the Rift S is pretty mild compared to the CV1. If you expected 4K like clarity then you were misinformed. 

I've learned that no matter how great something is there are always people who don't like it. Some people more fussy about certain things. Some have sex the first time and say "wow." Some say "meh." Everyone is different. 

You should try the Index or HP Reverb G2 when it comes out. You can then sell your Rift S. 

You should also be more patient and ask for help with issues because a lot of your complaints are things you're doing wrong. There is no way you should get 40fps in Assetto Corsa for example. Your issue about having to force close apps is resolvable. SDE can be reduced by choosing the right balance of graphical settings. 

Chill out and ask for help. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

mmm, the Oculus photo is zoomed in by exactly twice as much as the screen photo, was that an accident? otherwise it could be described as a poor comparison... maybe even deceptive.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
It is true that the clarity of VR is not the same as a monitor.  That said it's doesn't take Sherlock Holmes levels of pre buying investigations to know that.

Many of OPs issues sound a mixture of general PC issues or Pebcak and I don't mean that in a nasty way..... But one thing I always do with my PCs is torture test them. (Partly because I overclock the balls off them)
Running VR does not push a PC as much as that so IF your PC is getting too hot just by running VR then one way or another either  cooling is not good enough, there is not enough airflow or voltage is too high(which goes back to inadequate cooling).
Airflow is not just about number of fans it is about their placement and direction  or even cooling profile. I may be selling ice to Eskimos there however you should not be able to overheat a properly set up PC regardless of what game you run on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

comatrix
Protege

Zenbane said:

The rest is questionable how? Once again you stop short at providing the details. Which means only your review is questionable.

I Provide reality, which you didn't until now, what I encountered on the Rift S, and here it is another one of what I am saying, so you can ONCE AGAIN tell to people that it's my opinion

3mo9tu5s3qr6.jpg
Of course I modified the image to protect an respect of the reviewer, but it is another example on what I am saying: the SDE is not removed at all, it's still present and in a hard manner, so please stop saying that it's my opinion, I never had a VR before, but when I READ reviews and WATCH videos saying that it is WOW and after when you wear it and test it and it is totally not what reviewers and companies described, you still think it is my opinion? (I REPEAT I NEVER HAD A VR BEFORE, never tested it, so what I encountered for the first time it is purely the truth about the difference between what I read and watched and what after I encountered on wearing and testing the Rift S).

It is true that the clarity of VR is not the same as a monitor.  That said it's doesn't take Sherlock Holmes levels of pre buying investigations to know that.

Many of OPs issues sound a mixture of general PC issues or Pebcak and I don't mean that in a nasty way..... But one thing I always do with my PCs is torture test them. (Partly because I overclock the balls off them)

In my case it is not a PEBCAK, I proved with real fact what I encountered :
- Immersion = this is absolutely WOW
- wearing the VR = pretty good (there is still something to think think about how to avoid tarnishing your lenses from sweat and heat and fill the cover with sweat)
- software = so so (my live images attached before with bugs)
- graphic flickering present everywhere (Minecraft image attached before)
- general graphics so so (Minecraft image attached before showing the difference)
- controllers flickering (see other discussions in this section)
- Games Catalogue (Rift S has limited games compared to the Quest on Oculus Store, but if you go to Steam, there are HUNDREDS of games available for the Rift S, first how that could be possible, second people tends to tell that SteamVR is not totally compatible with Oculus, so we should stay with those few games for the Rift S?)
I hope now, people present in this thread, finish to say that it is my opinion, because it is not, I described EXACTLY what I read, watched and after what I encountered when I wore for the first time the Rift S, to tell ALL the truth, I was convincing that it was my Rift S were bad (and still could be), but after reading all those post in this thread, I'm convinced that the Rift S is what it is and NOT what reviewers and companies described it, no more no less.
Peace and Love ^_^
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD

dhrto
Expert Protege
@comatrix I understand your frustration or rather 'deception' as you call it. But I think that your (very) high expectation of the product plays a part in that. Let me try to visualize it with a simple chart:

Person A's expectation: ------------------------------->
Person B's expectation: ------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Person C's expectation: ---------------------------------------->
Reality      of     product: -------------------------------------->

To person A (for example me) and C (for example the many reviewers), the product delivers and for person A even exceeds the expectations. However for person B (for example you) the product falls rather short and ends up being a 'deception'. 
There's no absolute truth, but only perception of truth. So the reviewers are not lying or covering things up because for them it's their version of the truth. It just so happens your version of the truth is far different. And there's nothing wrong with that (to have high expectations).

And frankly, in many reviews the SDE is clearly discussed. In many of the original Rift CV1 reviews that I read before purchasing, it was stated that it is far less sharp than on a normal screen, but that after 5 minutes you won't notice it because of the immersion. I can definitely concur with that.
Of course I would like to see better screens too, but we're just not there yet.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The SDE will be present, I believe, using all hmds, also the G2, but it may of course be harder to see using high-res lcd hmds. I'll still swear that Index res 150+ % has way less SDE when looking at objects less than 4 feet away than sitting 2 feet from a 50" 1080p TV, but the SDE becomes more noticeable looking at objects more than let's say 10 feet away. Being into bright racing games, the OP may notice the SDE way more than when placed in smaller and more dark in-game locations.
If the OP is trying to convince others in here that VR is deceptive and of bad quality, then it's the wrong place to do so. I'm sure we'll all be happy to help - which I think already has been done to such a great extend that it kinda feels like this thread has started going in circles.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

comatrix said:
I Provide reality,

Not really. You have yet to show any of these "reviews" that you claim deceived you. As others pointed out, plenty of reviews back as early as 2016 talked about SDE and Glare. There were plenty of pics back then that teased about it:

t8em44dm1jsi.png

the SDE is not removed at all, it's still present and in a hard manner,
so please stop saying that it's my opinion, I never had a VR before,
but when I READ reviews and WATCH videos saying that it is WOW and after
when you wear it and test it and it is totally not what reviewers and
companies described, you still think it is my opinion?

What I'm saying is that you clearly deceived yourself. I challenge you to show a single review that claims SDE has been completely eliminated.

The existence of SDE and Glare has NOT prevented nor diminished the WOW factor of VR. As has been discussed for years now, this is the same as going deeps sea diving and having Goggles with small POV and other visual artifacts, yet the experience is still immersive and amazing.

Your Minecraft example was quite bad. You chose a VR Port that is pixelated by Default. And the issue you illustrated with you double-zoomed-in screenshot is an issue found in just about any piece of gaming software for the past several decades. The issue is common, and often fixable.

Overall, I still strongly feel that this is just buyers remorse due to spending too much money unnecessarily, coupled with not reading reviews properly, which have addressed SDE, Glare, etc.

comatrix
Protege

Zenbane said:

comatrix said:
I Provide reality,

Not really. You have yet to show any of these "reviews" that you claim deceived you. As others pointed out, plenty of reviews back as early as 2016 talked about SDE and Glare. There were plenty of pics back then that teased about it:

t8em44dm1jsi.png

What I'm saying is that you clearly deceived yourself. I challenge you to show a single review that claims SDE has been completely eliminated.

The existence of SDE and Glare has NOT prevented nor diminished the WOW factor of VR. As has been discussed for years now, this is the same as going deeps sea diving and having Goggles with small POV and other visual artifacts, yet the experience is still immersive and amazing.

Your Minecraft example was quite bad. You chose a VR Port that is pixelated by Default. And the issue you illustrated with you double-zoomed-in screenshot is an issue found in just about any piece of gaming software for the past several decades. The issue is common, and often fixable.

Overall, I still strongly feel that this is just buyers remorse due to spending too much money unnecessarily, coupled with not reading reviews properly, which have addressed SDE, Glare, etc.

Again, are you a 15 years old child? Did you see the pictures? They are not enough provided information about it? I didn't say they if I am remorse I'm still in time to send it back? And why I wish to keep it? Even, I ordered a Rift S Cover and Lens Protection, but hey, I am a remorse guy but hey I'm still buying accessories for Oculus Rift S...
Not all people are like you think they are, this is the second time I'm telling you that it is not a question of money...

comatrix
Protege

dhrto said:

@comatrix I understand your frustration or rather 'deception' as you call it. But I think that your (very) high expectation of the product plays a part in that. Let me try to visualize it with a simple chart:

Person A's expectation: ------------------------------->
Person B's expectation: ------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Person C's expectation: ---------------------------------------->
Reality      of     product: -------------------------------------->

To person A (for example me) and C (for example the many reviewers), the product delivers and for person A even exceeds the expectations. However for person B (for example you) the product falls rather short and ends up being a 'deception'. 
There's no absolute truth, but only perception of truth. So the reviewers are not lying or covering things up because for them it's their version of the truth. It just so happens your version of the truth is far different. And there's nothing wrong with that (to have high expectations).

And frankly, in many reviews the SDE is clearly discussed. In many of the original Rift CV1 reviews that I read before purchasing, it was stated that it is far less sharp than on a normal screen, but that after 5 minutes you won't notice it because of the immersion. I can definitely concur with that.
Of course I would like to see better screens too, but we're just not there yet.

Well wait a minute:
- a point if someone tell you an opinion, but it not the point..
Have you seen the images examples about what I said? If reviewers and companies say that the SDE is practically removed, what do you expect from that? Do you understand this?
If they say it is WOW, what do you expect from that? That EVERYTHING is WOW; not only certain points (see the software bugs, see the graphics, see the flickering and so on, there is not only the immersive point wee n if it is the main point).
It is very VERY simple:
- if they describe WOW, most of the implementations must be WOW, but effectively not everything is WOW, even the contrary: most of them are less as described (only the immersive point is WOW here, for example: do you really think that the graphics are WOW in VR headset? Really? Answer honestly)

bigmike20vt
Visionary

comatrix said:

Zenbane said:

comatrix said:
I Provide reality,

t8em44dm1jsi.png

Again, are you a 15 years old child? Did you see the pictures? They are not enough provided information about it? I didn't say they if I am remorse I'm still in time to send it back? And why I wish to keep it? Even, I ordered a Rift S Cover and Lens Protection, but hey, I am a remorse guy but hey I'm still buying accessories for Oculus Rift S...
Not all people are like you think they are, this is the second time I'm telling you that it is not a question of money...

If the money is no object you bought the wrong headset. If you want ultimate clarity you need a reverb (and now may as well wait for G2 even then it's not perfect but vr is still an emerging technology.

Back in the 1940s when people 1st got TVs in their lounge did they moan that it was tiny, a crap picture and black and white or were they blown away with being able to watch TV in their home?

All the info is out there to see the rifts warts and all ..... The rift s is an affordable vr headset which is GOOD quality but is full of compromises to get to a price point and to work on a certain level of hardware.

You keep saying it's not true but it looks to me you didn't do due diligence.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂