cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Rights act for Europe question.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So I ordered a HP Reverb G2 headset, but HP and the vendor are adamant that it comes with a 1 year warranty. I don't want to argue with them them about this, but does anyone know what my rights are regarding consumer guarantees within the EU? This link tells me that it is a 2 year minimum so why are HP saying they sell things with a 1 year warranty within the EU? Take a look at this link and please tell me what I am missing here.

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have a 2 year warranty with the vendor, the vendor have a two year warranty with the manufacturer, HP.

If you don't get a 2 year warranty then have a word with the area manager of the shop you're buying it from. If the worst comes to the worst you'll end up with a sure fire win in a small claims court.

lensmandave
Superstar
The only exception is if the sale is to a business as opposed to a private consumer. Is it described as an 'enterprise' product? Maybe they are using that loophole.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

There's a myriad of information on various money expert type websites talking about consumer law and EU directives... and most of it just ends in arguments over interpretation.

From what I've read, the EU directive regarding the 2 year warranty period for consumer goods is a directive, meaning it relies on the various member states implementing it into their own consumer laws, which the UK didn't actually do as they already had a 6 year period whereby the consumer can pursue a refund or replacement if they can demonstrate the item had a defect at the time of sale, and not a fault caused by misuse.

I think most retailers selling within the UK just adopted the 2 year thing but I'm pretty sure some haven't. But then comes the 1 year warranty, which probably means a no questions asked replace/refund type deal where the consumer doesn't have to prove there was a fault... after which there's a 5 year period where the consumer has the right to pursue through the courts.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
If you are officially selling a product within the EU/UK market it has a mandatory 2 year warrenty, there is no middle ground, that is the consumer law..........NOW, comes the interesting part, HP themselves have not made it clear if this Activesystems company are their offical UK launch seller of the new G2 as all i see are "official partner", nothing about the product being officially launched in the UK, so the main question here is are AC just sourcing them from HP American forgien market and importing them to UK/EU buyers, and if that is the case then then HP and AC have dodged the 2 years warrenty because the product has to be official launched and sold in the UK/EU market for it to be covered by 2 year said consumer rights law, and this is why i have held off on the G2 at this time to see what is what as i am still unsure what is going on with this product and HP.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I think you'll have to quote the law in question there @OmegaM4N there are many consumer laws and there are EU directives. The two are very different.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

If you are officially selling a product within the EU/UK market it has a mandatory 2 year warrenty, there is no middle ground, that is the consumer law..........NOW, comes the interesting part, HP themselves have not made it clear if this Activesystems company are their offical UK launch seller of the new G2 as all i see are "official partner", nothing about the product being officially launched in the UK, so the main question here is are AC just sourcing them from HP American forgien market and importing them to UK/EU buyers, and if that is the case then then HP and AC have dodged the 2 years warrenty because the product has to be official launched and sold in the UK/EU market for it to be covered by 2 year said consumer rights law, and this is why i have held off on the G2 at this time to see what is what as i am still unsure what is going on with this product and HP.

I have checked the Consumer Rights act and this is how it works. Curry's PC World even sells laptops in the UK with only a 1 year warranty on them. What you have to do is if a product becomes faulty after 1 year you then have to take it up with the Consumer rights act and have to pay for an engineer to look at the laptop or in this case a VR headset. The engineer then has to say it wasn't accidental damage and you can take this to a small claims court or threaten to do so. 

Here's also something I didn't know. The the UK actually has a 6 years warranty and not 2 years warranty, like in other European countries. Apparently we didn't join something, (Not sure what it was) which made the UK have a 6 year warranty under the Consumer rights act.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

OmegaM4N said:

I have checked the Consumer Rights act and this is how it works. Curry's PC World even sells laptops in the UK with only a 1 year warranty on them. What you have to do is if a product becomes faulty after 1 year you then have to take it up with the Consumer rights act and have to pay for an engineer to look at the laptop or in this case a VR headset. The engineer then has to say it wasn't accidental damage and you can take this to a small claims court or threaten to do so. 

Here's also something I didn't know. The the UK actually has a 6 years warranty and not 2 years warranty, like in other European countries. Apparently we didn't join something, (Not sure what it was) which made the UK have a 6 year warranty under the Consumer rights act.

Currys, PC world, Dixions all have some of the worst consumer servies you will ever come across, and this as part of their training, to be as obstructive to warrenties as possible, because they are pushing those extended warrenties which is a scam that still goes on today no matter how many times they are caught doing it, all three were found last year again with misleading sales practices on warrenties and extended warrenties, but they are just the worst of the worst and if you have the choice you should really get your electrical stuff elsewhere, horrible company with some dubious practices that they pull in the hope that the consumer just buckles under, and i might add all owned by the same group DSG Retail Limited, no doubt why this monopoly thinks it can treat the consumer like they have a zip up the back of their head..........oh and the irony of a company selling IT and electrical goods having IT security so lax and open that this year the hackers basically walked in the front door and helped themselves to 15 million consumers personal and financial details, so not a company you should be willing to buy anything from at this point. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

RedRizla said:

OmegaM4N said:

Currys, PC world, Dixions all have some of the worst consumer servies you will ever come across, and this as part of their training, to be as obstructive to warrenties as possible, because they are pushing those extended warrenties which is a scam that still goes on today no matter how many times they are caught doing it, all three were found last year again with misleading sales practices on warrenties and extended warrenties, but they are just the worst of the worst and if you have the choice you should really get your electrical stuff elsewhere, horrible company with some dubious practices that they pull in the hope that the consumer just buckles under, and i might add all owned by the same group DSG Retail Limited, no doubt why this monopoly thinks it can treat the consumer like they have a zip up the back of their head..........oh and the irony of a company selling IT and electrical goods having IT security so lax and open that this year the hackers basically walked in the front door and helped themselves to 15 million consumers personal and financial details, so not a company you should be willing to buy anything from at this point. lol

Yes, I wouldn't be going to Curry's in a rush they tried to get out of giving me some Oculus touch controllers that were still in warranty but developed a fault.