cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller losing track

martin_degraaf_
Explorer
Hi there,

Every now and then my right controller is losing track. It just floats in space and doesnt respond to movement. Only solution is removing the battery or reboot the quest. Anybody else experience this issue? Shall i return the quest and ask for a new one?
35 REPLIES 35

kraziek8460
Honored Guest
I can't even play games 

RazgulSr
Explorer
Hah - Beat Saber & Thrill of the Fight are worst - seems like fast movements are more prone to the 'fly away' problem.  Sometimes if I quickly bring the controller up to my headset & rotate it a few times (to 'show' the cameras the IR emitters) it will lock back on.  

Thought it was due to one cracked controller (right down the seam), but now brand new controllers do the same thing.  Anyone had luck with a factory reset? 

Made sure to wipe cameras too.  Seeing if Oculus Support will have any value add.  

Vividox
Honored Guest
This is very much annoying especially if you hold the grip button while playing beat saber. Buttons seem to make them fly away aswell, I might try a factory reset later, but this absolutely sucks. I'm just trying to test out my new custom sabers and my controllers go "haha yes i be do fly". I can't explain how indeed annoying this is.

Vividox
Honored Guest
communist bugs bunny btw

Sandrilyona
Honored Guest
My left controller tends to lose track a lot in Beatsaber. It never happened while I played original soundrack and started after I installed some custom maps onto it. As custom maps seem more energetic and need you to move more, I began having the tracking issue. Sometimes helps to pause and shake the controller or press a button or two, sometimes it helps to wipe the camera lens.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Most of the time when I have problems with my Touch controllers not tracking properly, it's because it's too dark due to the sun going down without my knowing, and I can fix it by turning on the lamp in the living room. That said, this morning I couldn't play Beat Saber due to the controllers losing tracking and floating off into the distance in-game. Actually shutting off my Quest (instead of putting it in sleep mode) seems to have fixed that though.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Weird_Wes
Honored Guest

Chipyluna said:

If anyone is still reading this and having this issue, I had an issue with this the other night with my right controller, I'm right handed so naturally adjusting the headset on my head would use my right hand, It occurred to me that the headset uses the cameras to detect the controllers, when I looked at the lenses they had finger prints on them, I cleaned them off and the controllers have been fine since. If it happens again try this too! Of course this worked for me it may well be that others are a hardware issue.

I've been using my Quest on and off for a few months since I picked it up second-hand in late march(During the big Covid outbreak I was stuck at home so I picked one up since Switch was out of stock across the country *and still kinda is as of writing*) and after a few weeks I started getting desyncing with the left controller every now and again during play sessions. Terribly aggravating. Come August here, I picked up Phantom: Covert Ops. Started playing and like five minutes in it was Desynced and my arm was 10 feet away from me. Pulled up the thread here and tried cleaning the Sensors. BAM! Instant improvement, didn't need to reset the game or anything it was just back to normal. I have a pretty nice felt-lined case for my quest but I know I had to have smudged it at some point when handling.

TL;DR: Absolutely try a quick, careful wipe-down of the camera sensors on Quest with a nice rag or preferably some kind of microfiber cloth if you're experiencing Drift with your Touch controller.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Cleaning themdidn't help me. I finally got in Touch (arf) with support and they suggested a factory reset, which I did and which caused no end of other problems for me, end result being that I don't have even half the stuff on my Quest that I used to - and the tracking is still squint.
Most often happens after having the Touch close to the headset, but no longer happens just from inactivity, like it used to.
Examples are In Death Unchained, where it loses tracking every time I aim an arrow and No Man's Sky, where the left Touch loses tracking every time I use the scanner.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

aaazzi
Honored Guest
Same problem

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Support got back to me again suggesting I repair both controllers - although I'd told them I've done this, and then to do another factory reset, which I've also just done.

I don't think they are going to help - just repeating steps I've already taken is highly unlikely to achieve anything, except giving me more frustration. I'm beginning to think it's just hardware limitations and probably area lighting is critical to tracking - but that may not be the whole story. I suppose we'll see if things improve when those that buy Quest 2 report on how well it works. If it does across the board, that would show that the tracking on this model is generally sub par and those that enjoy good tracking probably have lucked into a suitable environment or headset.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2