cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper Beast - new game by the maker of Another World, full game and awesome demo now available!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
At first this game looked rather ... weird ... but I'm starting to think this could be a great game and concept:

https://youtu.be/5cmFlAKwoV8

https://youtu.be/pcyXigJdhVk

The game is right now promoted in the "Coming Soon and Pre-Order" section of the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1895750390540682/#/?_k=kh6chx

Seems Steam is slightly ahead - if you can't wait, download a free demo here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232570/Paper_Beast/

System requirements are quite low:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 11

More info about the game which should launch this summer:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/paper-beast-vr-steam-summer/

Some shots:

v19cv35a1iqw.jpg

ywoxlzfpnbly.jpg
v9vrakqbrwc2.jpg
g9bovy9goxkp.jpg
s4b4rya2mxeq.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

38 REPLIES 38

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Note that the Steam version starts SteamVR when I try to start the game using CV1 in Oculus Home - I've asked the devs how to activate the native Oculus drivers when using the Steam version.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
This just came out today at VivePort and it's included with my Infinity sub.  I'll be giving it a go with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop later today and will report back.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'm starting to think that games first made for PSVR, like Moss and Trover, isn't a bad thing - but maybe more a sign of excellence, lol. Like @snowdog wrote, it's very expensive to develop games for the PS4, so small indie devs might not have a chance - or dare to take it. 

Paper Beast was originally made for PSVR, thus devs had the funds to do that - and had the guts to take the financial risk. Paper Beast was made by indie developers - by it seems more than one dude worked on the game 😉 The devs behind the game are seen here - I can count 13 persons:

2019wgy74mbh.jpg

Eric Chahi is to the far left. 

According to one dev, the game took 4½ years to make - quote from Steam:

I wrote the game, I spent 4 years and a half of my life making it

Another great thing - often when I mention issues, devs are unaware, maybe because they never tested their game on many hmds - and maybe some devs don't have the funds to buy expensive hmds. But the devs behind Paper Beast actually tested the game using the Index and even tested very high levels of super sampling:

The final game will expose graphics presets so powerful machines will be able to run the game even better.
I do not have any issue with super sampling as long as the setting in Steam VR is done before starting the application. Changing the super sampling at runtime leads to wrong GPU buffers size and requires a game restart. I work here with a Valve Index @150% without any issue, I even tried 200% and did not had any problem with it.

The game will indeed crash when changing SteamVR res when the game is running - so do it before you start the game. Being made for PSVR (=lcd hmd) and seeing that the devs used the Index, this game does seem thoroughly designed for lcd hmds. It looks awesome using the Index - haven't gotten the CV1 to work with the Steam version yet so I can't compare (dev says I should launch the game from inside Steam and then select Oculus for launch option, I'll try that later). 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More reviews from Steam - note I did not only select positive review, but so far there aren't any negative reviews 😉

I am sad to not see more players have engaged with this wonderful world.
This is one of the best VR Titles out yet.
This game is beautifully designed. It takes you on a Dali-sequel safari through desert lands where you interact with different animals who you enlist to help you move along the journey. The game is a light puzzler with huge payoffs when you complete a section. One in particular took my breath away and left me with a 5 minute sense of wonder. The game starts off a little slow and there are no instructions. But once you figure out how to explore and experiment, it starts making sense. This is a unique experience that you can not experience anywhere else except in VR.
Wow. Just... wow.

I finished my first play-through and I'm incredibly impressed and moved by this game. The most beautiful thing I have experienced in VR to date, and it literally brought me to tears at one point. I can't wait to go through it again to get all the achievements and unlocks I missed the first time around. Definitely a world I will be returning to for both the story and the sandbox mode.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I highly suggest at least giving the demo a try. If that small slice intrigues you the way it intrigued me then consider making the purchase!

This is going on my list of must play VR titles for when friends need recommendations. I look forward to seeing more from these developers in the future. Really great stuff here that makes owning a Virtual Reality headset worthwhile.

Pros:
-Smooth Locomotion and turning options
-Awesome physics simulations
-Gorgeous yet simplistic visuals
-Incredible soundtrack and audio design
-Immersion that was off the charts for me
-Post story content/incentive to replay chapters
-Loveable Paper Beasts

Cons:
-I didn't want the story to end so soon

I absolutely love this game! It's a Masterpiece.
I do not write many reviews but I felt compelled to write one for this game. This is a truly breathtaking experience and is very well created, it looks and feels great in VR and of the many VR titles I have played over the years this is one of the memorable ones.

The story mode is fantastic, a collection of interactive set pieces that have some of the most strange and wonderful visual art I have experienced in VR. The addition of a sandbox mode that unlocks more content to use as you progress through the main story really makes this title worth the asking price and a title that I recommend all VR enthusiasts to try.

Two thumbs up
This is the first time that a vr game almost makes me cry for his beauty and unique sensitivity. You really care for this beasts, and makes you forget the real world for a while. You become a tourist, a savior, and a friend. It's incredible.

- and one from Reddit:

Just been playing this tonight. Really is something special. The way the animals, err, BEASTS move is just so good. And that opening sequence really caught me off guard! I wish the devs were marketing this differently on Steam. You go look at their store page and the description is jumping between talking about how its an adventure, a sandbox, a zoo keeper simulator, etc. I wouldn't have tried it if I wasn't getting it included with my Viveport Infinity sub, because I was so meh about the pitch. But I'm glad I did try it! Looking forward to going in and finishing!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

The game is now available in the Oculus Store for $30. But it's only $20 on Steam and then you additionally get 10% off the first week... Strange with this price difference...

The $30 in the Oculus Store has been fixed - now it's $19.99 like Steam - but without the 10% off you get on Steam (until July 31). 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just to show the awesome dynamic shadows in the game - especially when so many devs seem to remove shadows from their VR games for performance reasons. Paper Beast shows how it's done - while still maintaining awesome performance:

u2aprk87yev1.jpg

If we move a little closer, you can see the fine textures on the bones of the beast:

oi5j4twjdlyr.jpg

Again, it's not Alyx or Boneworks class of textures - but it not far from it either. Some textures on the "golden plants" look really amazing.

Here're more shadows:

qm9gvb08b1kd.jpg

- and the water looks awesome too:

4j8iqs04elfk.jpg

Some say the game is way under-priced at just $20, I don't disagree. 

m44e96ct9bmr.jpg

saami81
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

The game is now available in the Oculus Store for $30. But it's only $20 on Steam and then you additionally get 10% off the first week... Strange with this price difference...

Same price now. Atleast for me. Without 10% discount ofc, but i still bought Oculus version. Downloading atm.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

This just came out today at VivePort and it's included with my Infinity sub.  I'll be giving it a go with my Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop later today and will report back.

Ok, I've finally finished testing this out on 3x VR headsets ( Rift cv1, Vive Pro, and Quest wireless with VD).  This is with my VivePort version (free with my VivePort Infinity subscription) and should be the same as the SteamVR version.

To cut a long story short, I think my Rift cv1 is best overall.  Good graphics/textures, very good audio, comfortable ,and very good controller tracking/response.

The Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop surprisingly works very well and I would say it is almost as good.  A bit more lag though.  I'll give it second place.

My Vive Pro has the best graphics.  Unfortunately my Vive controller trackpads do not work as well for me compared to Oculus touch controllers. Still very playable.

Edit; I forgot to say, buy this one for sure imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea I agree, this is a pretty awesome title. I've only played a little...up until the cave bit but so far it's awesome on the O+ and plays great.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems some are having trouble with the sound using the Oculus version causing the game to get several 1 star ratings in the Oculus Store. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon. I've yet to see similar complaints about the Steam version.

Currently the Steam version has 50 ratings and 93% are positive.