cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

Digikid1
Consultant
Going through the entire Pirates Of The Caribbean series.

FANTASTIC movies.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

They just don't make movies like they used to do and yet they have all this tech they didn't have years ago. We only get 3 to 5 movies a year now that stand out, but even these are not as good as film from say 10 or more years ago.
There's plenty of good books out there so why don't they just take these books and make them into a movie if they are stuck on how to write a good story. I'm fed up of switch films off after just 15mins.
What stops them writing a better film then say The Shinning? Instead they just take a good film and make a shite sequel the majority of the time.

I fully agree - the problem might be that you need the cognitive skills (the brain activity of a mastermind like Kubrick) to design such movies. Not sure I can think of anyone right now to fit the description. 

Btw, this was fun too:

https://youtu.be/FB9VAq_fy8I

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like the authors were more or less clueless about the contents of The Shining. The sequel is more or less turned into some superhero movie, but maybe that's what sells these days. 

The difficulty they had is Doctor Sleep is based on the Doctor Sleep book, which is the sequel to the The Shining book, which is different to the movie.
Stephen King wrote both The Shining and Doctor Sleep. He hated what Kubrick did to his story and characters and likes the Doctor Sleep movie.

I love The Shining movie, but it's not what King intended.

So I guess you could say it was Kubrick who was clueless about the contents of The Shining (book). 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like the authors were more or less clueless about the contents of The Shining. The sequel is more or less turned into some superhero movie, but maybe that's what sells these days. 

The difficulty they had is Doctor Sleep is based on the Doctor Sleep book, which is the sequel to the The Shining book, which is different to the movie.
Stephen King wrote both The Shining and Doctor Sleep. He hated what Kubrick did to his story and characters and likes the Doctor Sleep movie.

I love The Shining movie, but it's not what King intended.

So I guess you could say it was Kubrick who was clueless about the contents of The Shining (book). 🙂

Fully agree, King greatly disliked Kubrick's version. Kubrick may simply have used King's book as a simple platform for making Kubrick's own movie - filled with Freudian themes and other subconscious mind-twisting tricks and illusions. 
Still Doctor Sleep uses several flashbacks to Kubrick's movie, and the Doctor Sleep movie still uses the Overlook Hotel, although the hotel was burned to the ground in King's book. The Overlook Hotel is therefore not part of King's Doctor Sleep book, but it's a big part of the Doctor Sleep movie. So I do consider the Doctor Sleep movie something that tries to be a true sequel to Kubrick's movie. 

I fully agree with this (long) review:

https://youtu.be/UE1LkT96eFo

Also, the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep is more than 3 hours long, while the Theatrical version is like 2.5 hours long. Only the latter is available in UHD, but I might check out the Director's Cut soon... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Really sad to see the decline in available 4K (UHD) movies - feels like blu-ray 3D all over again  :'( The problem may not be big in English-speaking countries, but without Scandinavian subtitles my kids can't watch these movies. Lately the amount of 4K movies with Scandinavian subtitles have been greatly reduced - for example I have to import 1917 and Lion King (2019) from the UK if I want the 4K version, but then there's only English subtitles. 

Had to buy the boring 2K blu-ray edition for the movie we're going to see this evening:

https://youtu.be/sL-9Khv7wa4

Then did feel an urge to support the industry, and bought these also - both with Scandinavian subtitles  o:)

Baby Driver 4K Ultra Hd Blu-Ray Film  Kb billigt her - Guccadk

Black K Klansman 4K Ultra Hd Blu-Ray Film  Kb billigt her

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, generally video games and films usually only have FIGS (French, Italian, German and Spanish) subtitles and localisation here in the UK unfortunately. ☹

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Continuing my journey into intellectual life-enriching warm films, this weekend I've got :blush:  

rw17stgwj2jf.jpg

Forgot to watch the movie for 6 months, lol - but just saw it (it appeared on Netflix, guess I deserved that, sigh). Quite a boring movie, had to more or less force myself through the 3 hours. In comparison Doctor Sleep is an awesome movie  B) The 4K quality is awesome though, but more than 4/10 I don't think this movie deserves. I think I'll skip the third part. Did like the first part much more, like 6/10 😉

Mushroomies
Heroic Explorer
Speaking of movies, I have often thought that they should have put cans or boxes of Soylent Green into the Alyx Half Life game. That would have been fun to see

Anonymous
Not applicable
I love that film, one of my favourite sci-fi films. Logan's Run was also great back in the day too. ?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just bought the new intellectual movie "Uncle John Goes Cleaning in Mexico" - might see it tonight  o:)