cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The newer touch controls crack like eggs.

inovator
Consultant
How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.
44 REPLIES 44

Thmoas
Rising Star
Dropped mine several times, knocked them together and they still perfecty fine. It looks like they are build weaker then the CV1 controllers but in practice mine endured a fair beating and are still fine.

inovator
Consultant

Thmoas said:

Dropped mine several times, knocked them together and they still perfecty fine. It looks like they are build weaker then the CV1 controllers but in practice mine endured a fair beating and are still fine.

I guess some can be defected. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I would guess +95% are fine (mine included) and many of those that report problems have not been properly using guardian and/or banging controllers together.  People who report that dropping them to a carpeted floor are kinda full of it imho.  Either that or they have already damaged them.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

inovator
Consultant

TomCgcmfc said:

I would guess +95% are fine (mine included) and many of those that report problems have not been properly using guardian and/or banging controllers together.  People who report that dropping them to a carpeted floor are kinda full of it imho.  Either that or they have already damaged them.

No I'm not full of it. That really happened. It's not neccesary to be insulting. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
While I can't comment on all controllers how they got damage - keep in mind that the top heavy versions do get more wear and tear than the bottom design ones along where the stress points will be at. In the case of the top ones - the pressure will be right in the middle at the top area where the bottom design ones could use the base to disrupt more energy/impact. By wear and tear - I mean that most games that have you swing your controllers will have more power moves upwards than downwards where you will hit more objects on the daily with the ring than the old style with your fist..

With that said - they are making them lighter as well so the plastic used could make a difference. I can't comment on that as there have been no test on what plastic either controller uses, but I assume its the same stuff. The point thought is that don't drop your stuff - carefully still sit it down. Don't treat it like its a toy - yet - as it still cost a pretty penny.

falken76
Expert Consultant

inovator said:

How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.

Oh man that sucks.  I have the original touch that came out for the old rift from the first run.  I've punched walls and flung them across the room and they hardly got marks on them.  They're made of sturdy plastic.  It's a shame to hear the new touch have the structural integrity of balsa wood.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@Mradr  All good points mate, thanks.  Other posters are not so good but thankfully the Ignore feature on this forum works a treat.  Oh the Serenity, lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WLuQOLq5Q

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Richooal
Consultant
I feel sorry for you guys with the cheap, light weight, brittle plastic controllers. :'(

I used to have a ceiling fan above my play area. On one occasion I reached above me and my CV1 Touch Controller showed that fan just who's boss. The fan is now gone and the Touch Controller has a very hard to see mark on the ring. I think it's time Oculus paid extra to get the good plastic back again.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

inovator
Consultant

falken76 said:

inovator said:

Oh man that sucks.  I have the original touch that came out for the old rift from the first run.  I've punched walls and flung them across the room and they hardly got marks on them.  They're made of sturdy plastic.  It's a shame to hear the new touch have the structural integrity of balsa wood.

Ya I have the rift cv1 too. The controllers are like tanks.

saami81
Rising Star
My left Rift S controller ring is loose. It still works tho. I smashed it to wall when trying to stab someone in Blade and sorcery.