cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The newer touch controls crack like eggs.

inovator
Consultant
How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.
44 REPLIES 44

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:
I doubt there is any worry there, pretty sure Oculus allows anything and everything to be posted on theses forums.

Oh, I think you know it was not Oculus I was talking about allowing discussion 🙂

We allow all manner of complaints here without censoring. Some members do little else but complain about Oculus products and/or management, and yet they remain here year after year. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Eh - I dont think the controllers cost that much to make - while I think they cost more than current ones - these are one of them items I am sure they make some good markup on.

Cost-cutting is essential for profits though. Just because it doesn't "cost that much" doesn't negate their impact on ROI. Restaurants go through this very thing. You ever been to a restaurant and notice how they go from big paper towels down to flimsy napkins? lol
It's basic business finance. I had to fill out all sorts of balance sheets back when I was at the university going through these exercises.

I know lol I am just saying 200 could be a bit... not sure what word to use xD "pay what you like?"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

nalex66 said:

We allow all manner of complaints here without censoring. Some members do little else but complain about Oculus products and/or management, and yet they remain here year after year. 

The ability to have an alternative opinion, while respecting others to have it - ah yes, greatly appreciated to be bestowed by you alone @nalex66. ::smile:

But seriously, mistaking criticism for complaint is a dangerous path to go down. But agree, this is one of the few forums that supports open discussion. I was glad that Cyber and the other moderators overturned attempts to make this a segregated discussion group. Thank you for reminding us of that. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Eh - I dont think the controllers cost that much to make - while I think they cost more than current ones - these are one of them items I am sure they make some good markup on.

Cost-cutting is essential for profits though. Just because it doesn't "cost that much" doesn't negate their impact on ROI. Restaurants go through this very thing. You ever been to a restaurant and notice how they go from big paper towels down to flimsy napkins? lol
It's basic business finance. I had to fill out all sorts of balance sheets back when I was at the university going through these exercises.

I know lol I am just saying 200 could be a bit... not sure what word to use xD "pay what you like?"

Before the Rift bundle in 2017, the standard price for Touch was about $340. This was in Scandinavia with 25% VAT included, and today that's about the same price you'd pay over here for Knuckles.
I'm sure the US price was $199, everything is much more expensive over here.
Later Oculus reduced the price to €119, more than 50% price reduction. When I hit a wall with Touch, I tend still to focus on $340 leaving my wallet  😄 - And today that might actually be true on eBay  :#

I consider CV1 and Touch some sort of "proof of concept", I'm sure the Oculus QC/QA has been extremely high.

On Reddit I've seen many more broken Rift-S and Quest controllers than I remember ever having seen broken CV1 Touch controllers. When CV1 Touch breaks, it's my impression that the thumbstick is involved, while the tracking ring on new Touch looks to be most often affected.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Rather than Reddit and the FB Oculus forum - I wonder if Lenovo and Oculus should have created a new customer forum for tracking development?

Agree @RuneSR2 that the CV1 was a much more proof of concept approach doe entry into an undefined market. The work that was done through the DK2 allowed this advance investment - the VR community indirectly supplying years of operational feedback that shaped the final CV1. Its a shame this effort is not recognized. A common danger in modern business, individuals thinking that they alone create a concept or experience, forgetting the mass of individuals in the shadows that give their valuable incite for free, with no recognition. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Speaking as someone who has been super active on forums since the 1990's, the internet has made everyone a critic, similar to how YouTube has made everyone an actor lol. I don't think I've ever encounter a forum poster who admits to complaining; everyone prefers the term "critic" even though it's really just a bunch of complaining (e.g. true criticism is typically healthy and involves impartial analysis).

I don't think this forum was ever on the verge of being segregated. There was some discussion around requiring product owner validation, but that was merely conversation that some may have found uncomfortable
at the time. Especially back then with so many users who didn't
actually own Oculus products but came here to complain anyway.

I've personally enjoyed witnessing this community evolve to what it is today, where nearly everyone is an active Oculus Product owner, with few people left who hang around waiting for Facebook/Oculus to fail. The mood has definitely improved over time!

RuneSR2 said:
I consider CV1 and Touch some sort of "proof of concept", I'm sure the Oculus QC/QA has been extremely high.

Agreed. That goes back to my conversation about how this is all still bleeding edge tech.

Regarding the main topic,

Consumers should consider some Protective Sleeves for the new Touch Controllers:

That is probably the best solution.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The dude says this still works, but protective sleeves does sound like the better idea 😉

25om8l9hmglo.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
LOL!
My general reaction to that particular phone commercial has long been "Dude, you're an idiot. Stop dropping your phone."
My reaction to people complaining that their VR controller broke when they threw the controller or punched the wall/tv is generally "Well then, don't do that."
On the other hand, I can fully understand how it can happen. It's not like you can generally see what's around you while in VR. Thus why I decided to take precautions. Was quite happy I did earlier. I normally do about 15 minutes of Beat Saber for my workout, this morning I played for a good hour. The last song was rather energetic, I was starting to get tired, and my hands were a bit sweaty. One of the controllers slipped out of my hand during a particularly energetic swing. Only reason it didn't go flying is because I had the wrist strap on.
Then after taking a break to relax and recuperate (as well as clean off my Quest's face plate) I decided to play Creed. That was a bit of a mistake to begin with, 2 intense workouts with only a five minute break between them. Got really into it though, and was physically moving around my living room to dodge punches. Only for me to stumble into a chair and fall into it, banging the back of my head into the wall in the process. The guardian system doesn't help much if you can't see what's behind you 🙂
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

The dude says this still works, but protective sleeves does sound like the better idea 😉

Oh like a condom for touch:3? Sounds... interesting lol 

inovator
Consultant
I was about to do one of the dumbest things I've done in a while. That is eat my words after saying I was not going to preorder the g2 before reviews. I found out from hp I do have 90 days to return it if I dont like it. Some of the members mentioned their great experience they had with their reverb 1. So against my better judgment i decided to order. I went on the main.preorder hp website and put my info. The parts if the site to pay was greyed out. I filled out everything needed. There is an 800 number if there is a problem. I was connected to the correct department and after 50 minutes I just get a message an account manager will be with you shortly. 5 minutes more and I give up. Maybe someone in the clouds is trying to protect me from this preorder. The 90 days is no good if you go to a 3rd party (hp partner)