Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varifocal Optics Are “almost ready for primetime”

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I stole this explanation from a Facebook group member:
For a brief explanation: your eyes have 2 main ways to optically judge the distance of things. One is stereoscopic vision: a difference in perspective between both eyes. The second is focus: how blurred objects are, in front of and behind the object you're looking at. Currently, all VR and AR headsets render objects at about 2.5m focus, no matter if virtual objects are close or far away.
With varifocal displays, objects can be rendered on different focal planes, coming closer to a more realistic and probably comfortable viewing experience.

Facebook Reality Labs, the company’s R&D department, previously
revealed its ‘Half Dome’ prototype headsets which demonstrated
functional varifocal optics small enough for a consumer VR headset. At a
conference earlier this year, the Lab’s Director of Display Systems
Research said the latest system is “almost ready for primetime,” and
also detailed the Lab’s research into HDR (high-dynamic range) and
pupil-steering displays for XR headsets.

So it looks like the HALF DOME is finally going to see the light of day? 😉

23 REPLIES 23

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I just read that article a little while ago. Exciting stuff--maybe there is a new Rift in the works for next year using some of that awesome Half-Dome tech!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

pyroth309
Visionary

nalex66 said:

Yeah, I just read that article a little while ago. Exciting stuff--maybe there is a new Rift in the works for next year using some of that awesome Half-Dome tech!

Hopefully so. I hope they at least tease it at OC.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Also read the article earlier today, not sure what Oculus will do, but maybe publishing such articles can help put some pressure on Oculus to deliver new high-end hmds.

The new Star Wars game is described with trailer in the Oculus Blog, but it's a Quest exclusive, no Rifts. Let have some Half-Dome and renewed love for high-end PCVR!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Yea Vader Inmortal was quest exclusive also but it was released later for the Rift.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of the things like HDR was talk about a long time ago. Its also one of things you have to have right for higher pixel screens for like the ones NV show off that were stack on top of each other where more light was needed to make it happen.

Some of what the articular covers seems more like research than something ready for 2021. While interesting read - I can't see anything to really take away for 2021 at this time.

I still dont see how they can add half this stuff and yet still cost only around 400$.

Best take away though:3 we see what they're thinking and how they will build out. This is good knowledge for me though and others when we look at HD for sure.
  1. Basic Research – Basic principles observed
  2. Technology Formulation – Technology concept and application formulated
  3. Initial Validation – Experimental proof of concept
  4. Small Scale Prototype – Technology validated in lab
  5. Large Scale Prototype – Technology initially validated in intended environment
  6. Prototype System – Technology robustly demonstrated in intended environment
  7. Demonstration System – System prototype demonstrated in operational environment
  8. First of a Kind Commercial System – System complete and qualified
  9. Generally Available Commercial System – Actual system proven in operational environment

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if this is going to prevent us needing to wear glasses in VR?

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

I wonder if this is going to prevent us needing to wear glasses in VR?

I assume for light prescriptions 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Presumably, varifocals can correct for prescription on top of adjusting for accommodation. I hope we can limit the accommodation adjustment—I’m starting to need reading glasses in real life, I don’t want to need them in VR. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also Oculus should make this

This thing looks like its ready to crack open some skulls xD