cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Images of New Oculus Headset

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
9u6f8za4mnr5.png

NOTE - This is a Twitter supplied source, and it has yet to be confirmed if this is a render from a fan or an actual promotional image, though it seems to be following the lines that have been leaked so far.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
232 REPLIES 232

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Mradr said:

What is SoC you are referring to?

Just in general - for example in the SD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip

You could make a headset in the 845 and another in the 865 or any other chip that will be out in 2021. While you still sell the older chips because it will be cheaper and they will want to sell any stock they have left of it. The 900s will be out this year as well. You also have the Samsung line up etc The way I see it there are all sorts of options out there and to limit your self down to one product to cover all that for 2 years will be crazy lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

dburne said:

Mradr said:

What is SoC you are referring to?

Just in general - for example in the SD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip

You could make a headset in the 845 and another in the 865 or any other chip that will be out in 2021. While you still sell the older chips because it will be cheaper and they will want to sell any stock they have left of it.

Ah ok - "Systems on a chip".
Thanks,

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Well, I've been hoping that we would get some more leaks this week, but nothing so far. In the meantime, here's another UploadVR article that nicely summarizes everything we've heard and seen so far about the new Quest.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Well, I've been hoping that we would get some more leaks this week, but nothing so far. In the meantime, here's another UploadVR article that nicely summarizes everything we've heard and seen so far about the new Quest.

I find the below excerpt to be an interesting take away from the article:

"Facebook didn’t add Hand Tracking to Rift S, and the headset also didn’t get Guardian updates like color selection and startup object warnings. The Rift S changelog hasn’t shown major improvements since Oculus Link launched, with Quest clearly getting Facebook’s attention.

It’s conceivable the company plans to replace Quest and Rift S with this Oculus Quest 2, which could see it pitched as a “hybrid” headset. "

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah... of course that's just speculation on the part of the writer. Certainly a possibility though; consider if the screens and lenses were significantly better, comfort was improved, the new SoC enabled higher-bandwidth Link and/or built-in high quality wireless streaming, and the price was $350. Would they sell many Rift S headsets against it?

To be clear, I don't expect that to be the case. A little further down the road, I think that's where it's going, but I'm not convinced that we're at that point quite yet.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I can see the concern about Quest getting stuff that's not on Rift (yet), but a few things to consider:
  • Quest can be played 100% untethered without a PC, so the Guardian system is exceedingly more important than that of Rift-S, since Rift-S can only be played while tethered and limited to the length of the cable.
  • Oculus already publicly stated that Quest will get hand-tracking first before Rift-S, so this isn't exactly news. By the time Oculus releases hand-tracking for Rift, they will also need to launch Rift software that implements hand-tracking. This takes times, and there's no reason to believe that it won't eventually arrive. There isn't a slew of amazing hand-tracking experiences for Quest users in its current state. 100% of the experiences are demo's that barely rival the worst of Steam's independent dev software.

Mradr said:

Considering the supply issue that we've been having, which started before, but made much worse by Coronavirus, I just can't see anyone at Oculus thinking that increasing headset models would be a good idea. I can imagine streamlining production being a buzz phrase over there right now.

How so? I mean - if you are "short on supply" of a product part - then that causes the whole unit to be delay. Thus, wouldn't a tiny spread help? For example, SoCs are usually made in batches and same with screens. If you get short supply on one of them - you are kind of stuck, yet, if you had two different products you could continue to sell the other until the batches come in for the others as they use different parts. 

Then there is the flip side of things - you still have to have workers building them of course. Yet, that is a simple fix of hiring more workers.

Then there is also the price differences - are they going to just stick with the lower price point then? You can't keep yoyoing the price up and down if you are not going to sell two different products either. IF you do - or think you could - then what about the people that want the lower price unit? Or the people that want the higher price unit when they switch during that cycle? Wouldn't make sense.

Your best bet - is you keep it to base a model - then upgrade that base model instead - this way you reuse the same parts over and over again yet you change out the parts that have higher risk of delay like the SoC and the screens.

Maybe I'm thinking too simplistically, but the way I see it, it all comes down to people as you mention.

People in design, testing, in the factories, in the depots, the transport industry right down to the local delivery firms. Not to mention the availability of replacement parts and accessories. If there's a way to make two different headsets economically, with a lot of components that are bespoke to each, supplied by different companies, then maybe that helps mitigate production shortcomings but I'm not sure that's the only restriction in the overall chain.

Choosing to take that approach for the purposes of getting more headset available could be problematic I think. It assumes there's a big enough market for both to make non-commonality of design financially feasible. I think goods manufacturers generally try to use as many common components as they possibly can to minimise costs. I really don't know what margins are involved with these headsets but I've always assumed it's pretty tight.

I also think Oculus are struggling on the support front right now, there's such a wide range of PC configurations and so many new users now that even if a very small percentage of users have a problem, it translates to lots of tickets and I just get the feeling they're a little below where they'd like to be, staffing-wise (just guessing). I think a large user base influences the desire to streamline models rather than diversify.

Well, I'm no expert. I'm used to specifying electrical equipment for clients during normal times, not manufacturing the stuff like VR headsets, during the current situation. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also think Oculus are struggling on the support front right now, there's such a wide range of PC configurations and so many new users now that even if a very small percentage of users have a problem, it translates to lots of tickets and I just get the feeling they're a little below where they'd like to be, staffing-wise (just guessing). I think a large user base influences the desire to streamline models rather than diversify.

Releasing another headset is not going to fix that either way. While Quest does have its own problems - it still does allow PC connection thus you still going to have tickets over that. If your goal is to lower ticket numbers - this isn't the way LOL. If your goal is to stream line the ticket problems down so that they are all the same - then you remove all products that are different to the base headset. So that way - if 100 people have a problem then you can focus on that vs 100 people have different problems.

I mean if that is their goal - then you can say bye bye to the PC headset then... and all future headsets would aim for Quest-2-> steam line as they all would have the same problems if there is a problem and they all would have be steam line production as the only things you are changing is the SoC and screen most likely.

Maybe I am off - but in your world - there is no PC-Only-Headset... Granted - I also see it coming to that point at some point as well as Link gets better. So when you say 2 headsets - you don't mean one PC and one Mobile - you mean 2 Quest headsets then.

If you just mean - remove the complicity of what Quest 1 had - then of course. That's basically what I been saying and the whole idea around what Quest-2-GO was even about.

I'm not really suggesting anything as a fix for support but having 2 Quest headsets in addition to the Rift, if those 2 Quests are component diverse in order to mitigate production pinch points would probably add to the problem and not necessarily solve any of the non-production related pinch points or profit margins.

So yeah, a Rift and a Quest for now... then maybe 2 quite different (performing/featured) Quests, when they're at the point that they're good enough to do PCVR that they can replace Rifts completely.... maybe Oculus think the next Quest is good enough but until we see it, I'm going to say it won't be, if I'm wrong, and it is... then I think they'll let Rift come to an end and develop two diverse Quests. But of course all this is just my opinion and I'm regularly wrong.

Not sure if any company currently has more than 2 headsets on the go, unless we count Pimax who seem to have 4 with another up for pre-orders, but they seem to be all variations of the same headset and the asking price for the higher end models allows them to target small numbers of buyers whilst relying on other companies to build mainstream VR so their customers have games to play.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Not sure if any company currently has more than 2 headsets on the go, unless we count Pimax who seem to have 4 with another up for pre-orders, but they seem to be all variations of the same headset and the asking price for the higher end models allows them to target small numbers of buyers whilst relying on other companies to build mainstream VR so their customers have games to play.

HTC - VIVE Pro, Cosmos, Focus
HP - Reverb G1, G2, Standalone
Sampson - Odyssey, Odyssey 2, Standalone
Varjo - XR-1, VR-2, VR-2 Pro
Acer - OjO, AH101, AH121
Pimax etc.........

Sorry there are a few with more than two headsets on the go!
And I feel they may be targeting a muchh more diverse group.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959