cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVERY update screws my rift over!

Anonymous
Not applicable
honestly im beyond sick of this. Its every update WITHOUT fail. I run the setup and everything is fine. Before the update my headset worked flawlessly. Now just after guardian the setup quits and i get a hmd error. WHY cant oculus just give cv1 users a final stable release instead of constantly updating their spyware just to annoy people. 3 times now. every time i have had to spend days messing with software to get it to work. and every update screws it up. safe to say im staying WELL away from anything oculus. their software is abysmal. I have attached a log in case it helps but im starting to think its not worth anyone's time. There was NO need to update my software. I restart my pc, I update mobo drivers and i DDU and re install nvidia drivers but nothing works. Thanks oculus!
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have not I would open a support ticket with Oculus on the issue you are having.
It would be much better to try and get to the bottom of what is going on rather than trying to band aid it by blocking the device from receiving updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ill block the updates once i get it all working again. i haven't opened a support ticket because i know oculus support is aids (I will do now).

I use the log app and i get the following:
  Code: -3000 -- ovrError_Initialize
  System error: -2147024809 (80070057) -- The parameter is incorrect.
  Description: D3D11ComputeTask::Initialize: Unabled to initialize compute shader.
  OVRTime: 20840.280350
  Time: 2020-07-29 04:39:01 [607:375:400]

I also get a lot of
" {WARNING} [Dash] [dash_warn] { message: ": Failed to load Texture asset asynchronously: "

All i know is that it was working before the update so thank you oculus

Anonymous
Not applicable
also im in the ect/host file but its just an example one by microsoft theres nothing to change. im confused

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

Try adding the following to the end of the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc) 31.13.95.61 graph.oculus.com

Or use the other one = 127.0.0.1

so im in the driver folder with all the .dll's but which one is it?

Keep going into the folder labeled, "etc."  Inside that folder is a file called "hosts."

I can confirm that this works. Its really a shame when we have to block updates just to keep our headsets on. The only permanent solution is to buy anything but Oculus for your next headset.

Valve also constantly forces SteamVR updates, not sure that's much different.

Yeah but i bet valveVR updates don't brick your hardware EVERY time. Absolute joke this is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

also im in the ect/host file but its just an example one by microsoft theres nothing to change. im confused

nvm i did it. thank god i can stop updates. im still trying to get it to work (day 2 now)

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

Try adding the following to the end of the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc) 31.13.95.61 graph.oculus.com

Keep going into the folder labeled, "etc."  Inside that folder is a file called "hosts."

I can confirm that this works. Its really a shame when we have to block updates just to keep our headsets on. The only permanent solution is to buy anything but Oculus for your next headset.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

Yeah but i bet valveVR updates don't brick your hardware EVERY time. Absolute joke this is.

Well, I have the Index, have experienced some problems, mostly 1 year ago when Index had just launched - but Index may receive more focus and more updates than other hmds - since Index is Valve's own hmd. If you don't have the Index, SteamVR updates may be more safe for you.

Although I'm not fond of forced updates, I don't think Oculus - on my rig - has been the source of more problems than the SteamVR updates. During the last 3 years my CV1 has never been "bricked", maybe I've just been lucky, but my CV1 has really been working flawlessly. And no, I'm not payed by Oculus to write this 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just submitted a support ticket. I know ill get some half baked response. Oculus support is known for just not caring at all. A single update and now i have an expensive paperweight. thanks

Dracio
Explorer
my problem with the stuttering was completely fixed by disabling the RGB
lighning on my graphics card (RTX 2980TI ASUS ROG STRIX) with the ASUS
AURA software. Unblievable, that this RGB effects cause microstuttering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dracio said:

my problem with the stuttering was completely fixed by disabling the RGB
lighning on my graphics card (RTX 2980TI ASUS ROG STRIX) with the ASUS
AURA software. Unblievable, that this RGB effects cause microstuttering.

but yours still worked