cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus announce a new Rift in September?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
With all the emphasis on Quest, both formally via Oculus updates and informally via rumors/leaks, the rising theme is that perhaps the Rift has seen its final days.
Personally, I don't really think this is the case for various reasons; and I feel that each emphasis on Quest has a valid business case explanation. But I am curious as to the overall sentiment on the forum.

We'll see a new tech conference in September, where we'll finally get some official updates. So... will a new Rift be announced?
49 REPLIES 49

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Well Oculus did say in their blog they were doubling down on Rift and Quest so I think a new Rift will be in the cards sometime in 2021.  Whether or not they announce this in September, who knows?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ShocksVR
Superstar
I love PCVR and Rift, but I just I don't know what Oculus is planning. 
There's the obvious, they'll go the route of Quest. But perhaps they'll pivot and use Quest as the all-in-one entry device and elevate Rift back to a higher tier enthusiast device (like in the $500-$600 price range). So I just don't know. For now,  I'll abstain from voting.

Edit - I think we can agree that Oculus is done funding Rift exclusive content. Going Forward, it'll be Quest focused content that will probably be ported to Rift.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
After just playing Red Matter using my CV1, and this game is still a truly awesome experience, I'm not sure we need more hmds - but we need more awesome content. New Rift can wait. When I ask my pancake-loving friends they say there's only one reason to buy a VR hmd, and that's Alyx - and they won't pay $400 or more to play just one game. 

Kinda feel like repeating myself here :blush:  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Never have I needed a 'don't know' option so much  🙂
Am completely unsure which direction they'll take.

pyroth309
Visionary
I voted no but I wouldn't be surprised if they did either. I'm in the same boat as Daft.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Zenbane - You haven't voted yourself is that because you are unsure? Maybe adding no idea what Oculus has planned to the vote would be good because I would have chosen that. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Not sure enough for either choice. In the long run it’ll be a Quest-like hybrid device, but I also think there might possibly be one more PC-only Rift headset in the cards. I’m very interested to see what gets announced at OC7. 

I was reviewing the last releases; Quest was officially announced in September 2018, and Rift S was revealed in March 2019, 2 months ahead of release. That makes sense, a totally new product should have a little more runway to generate enthusiasm, while an iterative refresh needs that less. It seems clear from the leaks that we’ll get a reveal of the new Quest at OC7, and I hope it will be fairly close to the release date (holiday 2020). Is there a chance they’ll tease a new Rift releasing next year? Hard to say with any certainty. Perhaps we’ll get a peek at a more refined Half-Dome to keep us hopeful.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
These days I mostly use vr (cv1) with XPlane11 where I get about 45fps. Merging Quest & Rift functionalities together into one comprehensive headset with extra functionality is the way to go. Innovative solutions to overcome headset design limitations seems to be FB approach. I might just upgrade to Quest 1 if Quest 2 does not have ipd adjustment up to 72mm though.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'll only vote if Oculus announce a brand new PCVR headset with true 4k glasses but as others above have mentioned, I don't have a clue where they are going @Zenbane if you add a "don't know" option above then i reckon that will be the biggest response imo
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.