New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will Oculus announce a new Rift in September?

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,742 Valuable Player
With all the emphasis on Quest, both formally via Oculus updates and informally via rumors/leaks, the rising theme is that perhaps the Rift has seen its final days.
Personally, I don't really think this is the case for various reasons; and I feel that each emphasis on Quest has a valid business case explanation. But I am curious as to the overall sentiment on the forum.

We'll see a new tech conference in September, where we'll finally get some official updates. So... will a new Rift be announced?
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Will Oculus announce a new Rift in September? 31 votes

Nope, Quest is the path forward. The one HMD to rule them all.
70%
LuciferousRedRizlabigmike20vttwisteklabsnalex66Shadowmask72Tadinohgrantdburnepyroth309RichooalRuneSR2ElusiveMarlinNunyabinezSniperDragon32VR_developerbitzieNeoripobiglew2021Nitrox8760 22 votes
Yes, Oculus is doubling down on Rift and now is the time to show the next version.
29%
Nekto2phoenixdigitalsnowdogWhirlmeisterZenbane5vKaori_MakimuraTomCgcmfcmosley_ 9 votes

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    Yes, Oculus is doubling down on Rift and now is the time to show the next version.
    Well Oculus did say in their blog they were doubling down on Rift and Quest so I think a new Rift will be in the cards sometime in 2021.  Whether or not they announce this in September, who knows?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 510
    Neo
    edited July 29
    I love PCVR and Rift, but I just I don't know what Oculus is planning. 
    There's the obvious, they'll go the route of Quest. But perhaps they'll pivot and use Quest as the all-in-one entry device and elevate Rift back to a higher tier enthusiast device (like in the $500-$600 price range). So I just don't know. For now,  I'll abstain from voting.

Edit - I think we can agree that Oculus is done funding Rift exclusive content. Going Forward, it'll be Quest focused content that will probably be ported to Rift.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,954 Valuable Player
    edited July 30
    After just playing Red Matter using my CV1, and this game is still a truly awesome experience, I'm not sure we need more hmds - but we need more awesome content. New Rift can wait. When I ask my pancake-loving friends they say there's only one reason to buy a VR hmd, and that's Alyx - and they won't pay $400 or more to play just one game. 

Kinda feel like repeating myself here :blush:  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,970 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 30
    Never have I needed a 'don't know' option so much  :)
    Am completely unsure which direction they'll take.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,990 Valuable Player
    I voted no but I wouldn't be surprised if they did either. I'm in the same boat as Daft.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,421 Valuable Player
    edited July 30
    @Zenbane - You haven't voted yourself is that because you are unsure? Maybe adding no idea what Oculus has planned to the vote would be good because I would have chosen that. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,634 Volunteer Moderator
    Not sure enough for either choice. In the long run it’ll be a Quest-like hybrid device, but I also think there might possibly be one more PC-only Rift headset in the cards. I’m very interested to see what gets announced at OC7. 

I was reviewing the last releases; Quest was officially announced in September 2018, and Rift S was revealed in March 2019, 2 months ahead of release. That makes sense, a totally new product should have a little more runway to generate enthusiasm, while an iterative refresh needs that less. It seems clear from the leaks that we’ll get a reveal of the new Quest at OC7, and I hope it will be fairly close to the release date (holiday 2020). Is there a chance they’ll tease a new Rift releasing next year? Hard to say with any certainty. Perhaps we’ll get a peek at a more refined Half-Dome to keep us hopeful.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 422
    Trinity
    These days I mostly use vr (cv1) with XPlane11 where I get about 45fps. Merging Quest & Rift functionalities together into one comprehensive headset with extra functionality is the way to go. Innovative solutions to overcome headset design limitations seems to be FB approach. I might just upgrade to Quest 1 if Quest 2 does not have ipd adjustment up to 72mm though.
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
    Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,771 Volunteer Moderator
    I'll only vote if Oculus announce a brand new PCVR headset with true 4k glasses but as others above have mentioned, I don't have a clue where they are going @Zenbane if you add a "don't know" option above then i reckon that will be the biggest response imo
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,742 Valuable Player
    hmm, so 3 out of 4 active Mod's are taking the "I don't know" route. This feels like a conspiracy! :p

@kojack - will you break the pattern and pick a side, buddy??

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,634 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 30
    Alright, I placed my vote for no Rift reveal in September. I'm not saying that there won't be a new Rift coming at some point in the next year or two, but I don't think that they're close enough yet to announce it this fall.

As I said in another thread, the varifocal lenses and other under-development technology may find their way to mass-production in a version of Rift, but it seems like they need a little more time in the oven. Go ahead Oculus, prove me wrong.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Looking at the current poll results, I think this is a good message for Facebook and Oculus. If they do intend to release a new Rift, then they are doing a very poor job of instilling consumer confidence in that product-line.
    And now for something VR related, but also completely random. Anyone who VR's excessively can relate...

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 342
    Trinity
     I don't think that Quest is their only focus with VR, but I think they may wait for any announcements on the Rift unless they plan to re brand another WMR HMD, I'd certainly be OK with that if it were a Reverb. Oculus lenses and touch controllers on a Reverb, what a wonderful world that would be. 
     Last fall they were talking about writing their own operating system and replacing the PC experience. Might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping to hear they are building a platform that was built from the ground up to play PCVR games better than what is possible on PC and also had basic productivity tools. 
     In any case I hope the next Rift is built by Oculus with the same cutting edge technology and build quality as the CV1 was.     
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,736 Valuable Player
    I think they'll have a teaser at OC7 in September and then announce it officially at F8 next year and release it soon after. Same as the Quest S. I can't see Oculus releasing the Quest S or the Rift 2 this year because the Quest and Rift S haven't been out for long.

I'm also REALLY hoping that Lenovo get the manufacturing deal for them both too cos the Halo head strap on the Rift S is INCREDIBLE.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    I'm voting no presently because Oculus hasn't been very clear on anything pertaining to PC HMD's, although they did say they are doubling down...but that could be a year or 2 away...or not. Like I have said in other posts, they are going to have to produce a miracle PC HMD for me to keep interested in what they are doing on the PC side...as there is some great competition coming available by others.

Either they are keeping really tight lipped (and know something no one else does) and confidently know they will win over PC users (with whatever it is) or they are putting all their focus on getting to 1 billion users without the cord, while trying to please those who still want the cord (power users) with the all in one with cord capability. A mystery it presently is...
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    I'm voting no presently because Oculus hasn't been very clear on anything pertaining to PC HMD's, although they did say they are doubling down...but that could be a year or 2 away...or not. Like I have said in other posts, they are going to have to produce a miracle PC HMD for me to keep interested in what they are doing on the PC side...as there is some great competition coming available by others.

Either they are keeping really tight lipped (and know something no one else does) and confidently know they will win over PC users (with whatever it is) or they are putting all their focus on getting to 1 billion users without the cord, while trying to please those who still want the cord (power users) with the all in one with cord capability. A mystery it presently is...

I suspect the latter may be closer to the truth. But who the hell knows, Oculus sure ain't talking.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 510
    Neo
    edited July 31
    The video below might be a hint of the direction VR (or at least Oculus) is going to take.  It looks like Quest may be what developers want to focus on.

Onward just released their Quest port today which features cross-play with PCVR (Rift and STEAM).  HOWEVER, it seems they did a complete rebuild of the game and ported the Quest version of the game to PCVR.  Thus, the PCVR version on Onward is a dramatic downgrade in graphics and asset fidelity; it's borderline outrageous.

UploadVR - Onward NEW PC VR Graphics Comparison - 1.8 vs 1.7

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    I've been contemplating getting back into Onward for a while now, but that's just not happening now. Jesus Murphy.. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    I think this Onward situation is less an indicator of Dev's wanting to focus on Quest and more an indicator of a lazy ass Dev who didn't want to implement cross-buy.
    Onward is already available natively on Quest:
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2677344882310094/

So this downgraded PCVR experience does nothing to bring Onward to Quest. The problem is that... if you are a Rift owner who had Onward on PCVR, and you want to play it on Quest to enjoy tetherless VR, you only had one real choice:
    • Buy Onward a 2nd time on the Quest store
    This is because there is no cross-buy for Onward. So what they did, was update the PCVR version to make it more "Quest friendly" as a work-around to the lack of cross-buy.

Onward is notorious for being made by a one-man-team, so I don't blame him too much. It's a lot of work to take on. But it certainly doesn't aid in the "death to Rift" rumor mill lol
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,990 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I think this Onward situation is less an indicator of Dev's wanting to focus on Quest and more an indicator of a lazy ass Dev who didn't want to implement cross-buy.
    Onward is already available natively on Quest:
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2677344882310094/

So this downgraded PCVR experience does nothing to bring Onward to Quest. The problem is that... if you are a Rift owner who had Onward on PCVR, and you want to play it on Quest to enjoy tetherless VR, you only had one real choice:
    • Buy Onward a 2nd time on the Quest store
    This is because there is no cross-buy for Onward. So what they did, was update the PCVR version to make it more "Quest friendly" as a work-around to the lack of cross-buy.

Onward is notorious for being made by a one-man-team, so I don't blame him too much. It's a lot of work to take on. But it certainly doesn't aid in the "death to Rift" rumor mill lol

I think it was more about cross play and having PC users in the same maps and playing together with Quest users. So they downgraded the maps so everyone sees the same thing.
    edited July 31
    ShocksVR said:
    The video below might be a hint of the direction VR (or at least Oculus) is going to take.  It looks like Quest may be what developers want to focus on.

Onward just released their Quest port today which features cross-play with PCVR (Rift and STEAM).  HOWEVER, it seems they did a complete rebuild of the game and ported the Quest version of the game to PCVR.  Thus, the PCVR version on Onward is a dramatic downgrade in graphics and asset fidelity; it's borderline outrageous.

UploadVR - Onward NEW PC VR Graphics Comparison - 1.8 vs 1.7

I remember saying in this forum I hope they don't start dumbing down graphics on PC -VR just to suit the Oculus Quest. Wonder if I can get my money back because this isn't the game I purchased a year ago.

Edit: @pyroth309 - So everyone sees worse graphics? What the point of that like? I could understand if it was because of the layout but they even stripped the wall paper lol.
    edited July 31
    pyroth309 said:

so everyone sees the same thing. 

- and sees the true power of the Snapdragon 835 and the future of VR unfolding ;)

Btw, even if I was a dev who really loves PCVR, I'd worry about these numbers:

Quest:

Rifts:

There may be different explanations for the 682 vs 82 ratings - but for devs it's about where the money is to make ends meet - and to profit. If devs end up making much more money on the Quest, because PCVR owners don't buy anything, then that's the way things go... 

Note that Phantom: Covert Ops was made for the Rift - Quest owners got the massively reduced version - still no one buys the "deluxe" PCVR version - the Rift version can be seen here in close to all its glory:

In just 1 day Quest Onward har nearly 800 ratings. On the Rifts, Onward has nearly 1,800 ratings - but that has taken nearly 1,000 days. On Steam it does have 4,450 ratings, and we should add those - so about 6,250 for PCVR. But the Oculus Store makes no money from Steam sales. 
    I wonder if Quest users will be able to beat that 6,000+ number within some months... 

Beat Saber has nearly 25,000 ratings on the Quest. It has 35,000 on Steam and 15,000 in the Rift section of the Oculus Store. In the Oculus Store, Quest Beat Saber profits probably have been much higher than all Rift Beat Saber profits. Trying to fund future killer apps for the Quest rather than the Rifts may make a lot more sense to Oculus. 

Thus at least it seems - for Oculus - Quest is where the money is. Therefore my vote: "Nope, Quest is the path forward. The one HMD to rule them all." 

Or PCVR owners need to get that wallet up of their pockets and start spending a lot more on new games - relaxing with your old favorite games and apps isn't going to help PCVR the slightest, in fact it might hurt PCVR a lot. 2c.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited July 31
    RedRizla said:
    Edit: @pyroth309 - So everyone sees worse graphics? What the point of that like? I could understand if it was because of the layout but they even stripped the wall paper lol.

Yeah, some of the stuff makes sense, like less trees which can block the view to a window of a house, but there's no excuse for e.g. making the grass look like arse.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    RedRizla said:

Yeah, some of the stuff makes sense, like less trees which can block the view to a window of a house, but there's no excuse for e.g. making the grass look like arse.

Affected the Manor just got released for the Quest - and then a new Rift patch arrived. I don't dare to patch my game  :#  ;) But if some of you do - I'd love to hear what happened  :) 

edited July 31
    Just some maybe interesting lists. First, here're the latest 20 apps from the Rift section of the Oculus Store and associated number of ratings - assuming there's a strong correlation of number of sales and number of ratings:

RIFT 
    1. Bionic Hunter – DEMO – 1 rating (free app)
    2. Pipe Dream Co. – 0 ratings
    3. Gamelan Hit VR Rindik – 0 ratings
    4. Paper Beast – 13 ratings
    5. Whispers from Within: Moving On – 0 ratings
    6. Steady – 1 rating
    7. Microsoft Maquette – 7 ratings (free app)
    8. Furious – 3 ratings
    9. Reach – 1 rating (free app)
    10. Groove Balls – 0 ratings
    11. Arrows – 5 ratings
    12. Fractal Alchemist VR – 2 ratings
    13. Matrix Blocks – 0 ratings
    14. IncrediBird – 1 rating (free app)
    15. The Line – 2 ratings
    16. TRIPP – 14 ratings (free app)
    17. Growrilla – 0 ratings
    18. Blueplanet VR – 5 ratings
    19. Shooty Skies Overdrive – 1 rating (Cross-Buy)
    20. Futbolín Revolution – 4 ratings

Now that's an average of 3 ratings per app or 60 ratings in total. Some might say all of the above are mediocre titles - but I'd strongly disagree. Granted I've not had time to test all apps, but I've tried Paper Beast, Growrilla, Blueplanet VR and Shooty Skies Overdrive, so that's 20%. Apart from Growrilla I've kept the 3 other apps and consider them awesome. Especially Paper Beast and Blueplanet VR are reference - meaning never seen better within their genres in VR. Still it seems very few cares (although Paper Beast has 75 Steam ratings, while BluePlanet VR has 26). 

Like Zenbane has pointed out, Quest has a lot less content, which might explain more sales and ratings. If we go back to the day Shooty Skies Overdrive was released July 2, then these apps were released for the Quest - including several strong tiltles:

QUEST

1. Onward – 799 ratings
    2. In Death – 308 ratings
    3. Immersed – 181 ratings (free app)
    4. MLB VR – 17 ratings (free app)
    5. Coaster Combat – 55 ratings
    6. Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted – 2773 ratings (Cross-Buy)
    7. Layers of Fear VR – 87 ratings
    8. Wonderglade – 6 ratings
    9. Shooty Skies Overdrive – 109 ratings (Cross-Buy)

That's average 481 ratings per app or 4335 ratings in total. These two lists basically are what was released in July 2020, indicating a lot more income from these new Quest apps (60 Rift ratings vs. 4335 Quest ratings). Cross-Buy seems to do nothing for Shooty Skies Overdrive on the Rifts (109 Quest ratings vs just 1 Rift rating). 

Note that the 2773 ratings for Five Night at Freddy's properly are not associated with Cross-Buy, because the Rift version only has 581 ratings. 

To get an idea of profits in July, we would need to know all sale numbers from the Quest and Rift parts of the Store, and only Oculus knows these numbers. Still I do get a strong feeling that Quest software is selling much better than Rift software in the Oculus Store. 

Maybe things will turn when Quest owners get large backlogs, lol. 

edited July 31
    @RuneSR2 - I know there's a lot of people who don't bother with reviews, but that makes for some Grim reading Rune. I would expect to see more than just one review for some of those PC -VR titles :D
    Was it you who reviewed these games :D
    edited July 31
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I know there's a lot of people who don't bother with reviews, but that makes for some Grim reading Rune. I would expect to see more than just one review for some of those PC -VR titles :D
    Was it you who reviewed these games :D

Only Shooty Skies Overdrive - the one review for the Rifts  o:) Got the Steam versions for Paper Beast and Blueplanet VR due to Index support. 

Actually I really tried to help the devs, but I failed :'( - I even created this thread: 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/91157/shooty-skies-overdrive-is-great-fun-its-the-good-ol-1980s-arcade-machines-on-steroids

I'm thinking that the likelihood of software owners writing reviews might not be much different among Rift and Quest owners... Or maybe Quest owners just love to write - and rate ;)