New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is Coming Back - and it will have VR*

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,421 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Techy111 said:
    10 extra aircraft including the 787 swung it for me mate.
    Ah looks like the premium deluxe is only on microsoft store. Hmm I may have to rethink that.

There's some great hand-modelled airports in the premium version, Heathrow (and the 787) was enough to swing it for me. 

Yea I'm definitely getting the highest one I can digital. I had to eliminate my old physical collection for space reasons so I tend to stick digital nowadays. I see the premium one listed on Steam but it's not an option to preorder yet. Guessing it will show up at some point. Only see it on Microsoft site so far.
    ah ok yeah I hadn't really considered Steam for FS and I'm not quite sure how the whole MS app store works as I've never used it prior to buying this and it wasn't straightforward getting the pre-order to install (as per the discussion with RedRizla earlier on).

I used MS's Games for Windows Live in the past and that was hopeless, you had to buy credits and use the credits to buy games if I remember correctly, then it just seemed to get dropped completely, with Codemaster then having to do an update to one of the Dirt games to get it to work on Steam without invoking GFWL.

I'm not keen on multiple games services having to be run for a single game so the MS store version won't invoke Steam but the Steam version may invoke MS Apps store? not sure, the old Steam games did when they also used GFWL.

Oculus and Uplay for Star Trek Bridge Crew is maybe the most problematic example.
    I play games on both Steam and MIcrosoft but I prefer to get them on Steam. I have the Microsoft game pass deal and tbh, it's kind of a pain in the ass using their store. Tedious is the word that comes to mind. That said, the new Xbox app isn't bad and streamlines things a great deal. Keep in mind there's 2 of them (more confusion from microsoft). I'm talking about this one - https://www.xbox.com/en-US/apps/xbox-app-for-windows-10.

As far as the connectivity between steam and Microsoft, most games are separated. Windows Store players can only play with other windows store and Xbox players and steam players are only with other steam players. There are some games that are combined though. I haven't seen how it works with FS2020.

Seriously, If we purchase from the Microsoft store we won't be able to play with Steam players? I might cancel if that's the case and get it of Steam instead.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,990 Valuable Player
    Read that last sentence in the quote lol.
    pyroth309 said:
    Read that last sentence in the quote lol.

Yes, I saw that but I don't want them to take my money and then announce it not cross play.
    edited July 30
    It's all together on microsoft's xbox store deal. Steam's just going to install the installer is what everyone is saying on steam forums. So buy it wherever you want. It's the same deal. Microsoft will at least get all of the money if you buy it there.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,969 Volunteer Moderator
    OK thanks for looking into that, it's only my OCD niggling me about multiple platform use for single games.
    At least we know that we can all meet up in the skies regardless of where we bought the game.

Formation flying anyone? Hopefully some Red Bull type competitions.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    Just tried to login to my Microsoft account and it's been locked the assholes. Now it asks me for my phone number and it won't let me enter it. I feel another rant brewing. I will now have to phone the idiots for locking my account for some reason and not allowing me to get back in using my phone number.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,362 Valuable Player
    rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited July 30
    @RedRizla have they introduced 2 step authentication or something, I'll check mine.

Edit: it looks like I haven't provided a phone number and I'm already logged in when I open the Store app which makes sense as the last time I fiddled with my Windows login settings I left it as Microsoft login with PIN instead of local password login.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    edited July 30
    @RedRizla have they introduced 2 step authentication or something, I'll check mine.

Edit: it looks like I haven't provided a phone number and I'm already logged in when I open the Store app which makes sense as the last time I fiddled with my Windows login settings I left it as Microsoft login with PIN instead of local password login.

I've cancelled it and ordered it from Steam. I would do the same if I was you because I've just got of the phone to Microsoft and they are a joke. None of them could even tell me what  files were installed when we purchased it from the Microsoft store.

Do you know what those files were or where they were installed to on your computer.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,954 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    I was fond of Solo Flight  <3 - I guess something has changed, but isn't it really just old wine in a new bottle?  :D  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RuneSR2 said:
    kevinw729 said:
    I was fond of Solo Flight  <3 - I guess something has changed, but isn't it really just old wine in a new bottle?  :D  

The frame rate might still look like that when playing in VR.
    edited July 30
    This is where I started...which lead to all kinds of other sims. Jane's WW2, Microsoft Flight simulator/combat simulator, Warbirds, Aces High, IL2 etc. etc. Dial up ftw (not really lol)

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,362 Valuable Player
    edited July 30
    I remember photocopying the manual just to be able to play this for hours on end - great memories of emergency landings at SFO. [MFS - Atari ST]

rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    @Techy111 - The pic on the cassette case looks like the graphics that we can expect today. Never did I expect to be playing Flight Sims with great graphics, let alone in VR.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,954 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - The pic on the cassette case looks like the graphics that we can expect today. Never did I expect to be playing Flight Sims with great graphics, let alone in VR.
    Hmmm, you do have a good point!  B)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • willdeanwilldean Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    Looks gorgeous! I can't wait to check it out myself.
    That was my second flight sim @Techy111, first was Nighflight

I remember sitting with my brother, 2 chairs in front of the TV pretending we were pilot and co-pilot, sweet times

edited July 30
    RedRizla said:

I've cancelled it and ordered it from Steam. I would do the same if I was you because I've just got of the phone to Microsoft and they are a joke. None of them could even tell me what  files were installed when we purchased it from the Microsoft store.

Do you know what those files were or where they were installed to on your computer.
    I'll have a little search, whatever it was that installed, it was small so I assume some pre-installation set-up files, if I find them I'll confirm.

Edit: ok not sure if these are all the files but what I found...

Folders:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_[some letters & numbers]
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_[some letters & numbers]
    which contained 8 subfolders:
       AC
       AppData
       LocalCache
       LocalState
       RoamingState
       Settings
       SystemAppData
       TempState

Files:
    Just a couple zero size FlightSimulator.exe files in the above folders, a dat file that looks like it contains your key and one other file. So yeah, placeholders or prep files of some sort.
    Do any of you guys use a Yoke? I might look at getting one for this, but I'm not sure if they are any good. I've got a Warthog Hotas and peddles and an old Microsoft Joystick that go for quite a bit on ebay now. Come to think of it I've also got a Saitek X52 to in the loft somewhere. 
    RedRizla said:
    Do any of you guys use a Yoke? I might look at getting one for this, but I'm not sure if they are any good. I've got a Warthog Hotas and peddles and an old Microsoft Joystick that go for quite a bit on ebay now. Come to think of it I've also got a Saitek X52 to in the loft somewhere. 

I like the look of the new Honeycomb stuff, the yoke includes the major switchgear and they do a throttle quadrant that's customisable for single engine general aviation up to 4 engine commercial. Not cheap but not the most expensive out there.
    edited July 30
    RedRizla said:

I like the look of the new Honeycomb stuff, the yoke includes the major switchgear and they do a throttle quadrant that's customisable for single engine general aviation up to 4 engine commercial. Not cheap but not the most expensive out there.

I've just remembered I've also got a CH throttle quadrant and a switch box I made myself. What do you use for you flight sims?
    Right now am using an X52, well an x52 pro after my old x52 rubber surfaces all degraded.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,579 Volunteer Moderator
    Right now am using an X52, well an x52 pro after my old x52 rubber surfaces all degraded.

I went from an X52 to a Warthog and now I'm on to a Virpil setup (Constellation Alpha joystick and T-50CM2 throttle). So many hat switches, rotary encoders and analog axes. It even has a mouse wheel with two stage click.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,742 Valuable Player
    edited July 30
    VR for HP only?

‘Microsoft Flight Simulator’ Will Let You Pilot in VR, But Only on an HP Headset

EDIT: NVM

The headline was clickbait. It's coming out for Vive and Rift as well:
    They shouldn’t worry too much, though: the developer says it’s planning support for Vive and Oculus headsets in the future.

That Microsoft/Oculus relationship is alive and well B)

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    edited July 30
    Interesting that it will support HP first for VR.
    Nice job MS!

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,742 Valuable Player
    HP did make a Windows Mixed Reality HMD to help support Microsoft WMR Platform, back in 2018. Those didn't sell very well. So this is some nice payback from Microsoft to HP to help sell their new Reverb VR HMD.

Back in the VR Killer Apps thread, I did mention that "HP doesn't have an answer to Oculus' exclusive titles." Seems that they realized this and answered the call! Calling that payback favor from Microsoft to give the HP Reverb a competitive edge at launch is a smart as hell move. Especially considering that the Reverb's current market has a lot of SIM enthusiasts.

Microsoft has a lot of relationships with a lot of competitors. Their relationship with HP doesn't impact their relationship with Facebook-Oculus, and vice versa. I'm sure Facebook and Oculus are supportive of this exclusive launch for the Reverb; just as they are supportive of Revive and the cross-platform community with OpenXR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited July 30
    I was an X52 pro guy. Saitek guy in general, went from x36 ->x45 -> x52 pro. My Pro throttle stopped registering and I cheaped out for a quick replacement and went down to a Thrustmaster t16000m to hold me over for awhile and I've actually come to like it more than my X52. I wish it had more hats on the stick though. I was CH guy before Saitek, I still have my old analog CH Fighterstick and CH pedals. They built that stuff like tanks. I've considered going up to an X56 or a warthog but I'm pretty content with this T16000m for now. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,579 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm still using saitek rudder pedals. The spring on one toe brake broke, so the pedal just flops around. But the yaw axis still works fine. I might upgrade to virpil pedals, but that's getting to be a LOT of money when I don't do simulators that often (I love them, but don't do them as often any more). The throttle and joystick cost around $1300au total (compared to $400 for the Warthog).
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,771 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    I have the honeycomb yoke, lovely bit of kit, highly recommend it. Also have my warthog and ch products pedals.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.