cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus announce a new Rift in September?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
With all the emphasis on Quest, both formally via Oculus updates and informally via rumors/leaks, the rising theme is that perhaps the Rift has seen its final days.
Personally, I don't really think this is the case for various reasons; and I feel that each emphasis on Quest has a valid business case explanation. But I am curious as to the overall sentiment on the forum.

We'll see a new tech conference in September, where we'll finally get some official updates. So... will a new Rift be announced?
49 REPLIES 49

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I know there's a lot of people who don't bother with reviews, but that makes for some Grim reading Rune. I would expect to see more than just one review for some of those PC -VR titles 😄
Was it you who reviewed these games 😄

Only Shooty Skies Overdrive - the one review for the Rifts  o:) Got the Steam versions for Paper Beast and Blueplanet VR due to Index support. 

Actually I really tried to help the devs, but I failed :'( - I even created this thread: 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/91157/shooty-skies-overdrive-is-great-fun-its-the-g...

I'm thinking that the likelihood of software owners writing reviews might not be much different among Rift and Quest owners... Or maybe Quest owners just love to write - and rate 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, are there many more kids with Quests? Seems like letting large hordes of ill-mannered Quest kids into the Onward arena isn't appreciated by all, lol - from Steam:

I'm Oculus Quest owner and i feel bad for PC Player now.

The coop room filled with kids and they either shoots themselves or shoots you, then blow up the whole team with a hand grenade in the game that supposed to be mil-sim VR.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/496240/discussions/0/2798376550603235330/

Might have some advantages not lowering hmd prices too much 😉 Keeping the average age of Horizon users above 10 might have some advantages, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Wildt said:

RedRizla said:
Edit: @pyroth309 - So everyone sees worse graphics? What the point of that like? I could understand if it was because of the layout but they even stripped the wall paper lol.

Yeah, some of the stuff makes sense, like less trees which can block the view to a window of a house, but there's no excuse for e.g. making the grass look like arse.

Affected the Manor just got released for the Quest - and then a new Rift patch arrived. I don't dare to patch my game  :#  😉 But if some of you do - I'd love to hear what happened  🙂 

Since Affected the Manor is cross-buy, and I do like to support these so I bought it to try with both my Quest and Rift cv1.  I had not tried this before and I'm not a big horror fan but I don't mind a scare once in a while.  I thought the graphic on my Rift cv1, even at 2.0 SS looked terrible (grainy and washed out colors).  They were actually slightly better on my Quest, but still pretty poor imho.  I've applied for a refund.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

Wildt said:

RedRizla said:
Edit: @pyroth309 - So everyone sees worse graphics? What the point of that like? I could understand if it was because of the layout but they even stripped the wall paper lol.

Yeah, some of the stuff makes sense, like less trees which can block the view to a window of a house, but there's no excuse for e.g. making the grass look like arse.

Affected the Manor just got released for the Quest - and then a new Rift patch arrived. I don't dare to patch my game  :#  😉 But if some of you do - I'd love to hear what happened  🙂 

Since Affected the Manor is cross-buy, and I do like to support these so I bought it to try with both my Quest and Rift cv1.  I had not tried this before and I'm not a big horror fan but I don't mind a scare once in a while.  I thought the graphic on my Rift cv1, even at 2.0 SS looked terrible (grainy and washed out colors).  They were actually slightly better on my Quest, but still pretty poor imho.  I've applied for a refund.

Thanks, it is grainy on CV1 due to being so dark you'll see the SPUD - I'm more worried that poly levels and texture quality could be reduced with the new patch. Even with the spud I greatly prefer CV1, lcd hmds like Index are just grey and completely ruin this game. 

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm skeptical that Oculus is behind this. Crossbuy hasn't been much of a problem for the Rift version unless the Developers are clearly developing it with the Quest in mind and then port it to Rift then you just get a sub par experience on Rift. Have the same problem with a couple of the PSVR ports. Most crossbuy experiences look way better on the PCVR version and I don't think that's going to change. With Onward, this is just a developer trying to cash in and either not valuing the people that made them successful or really thought noone would mind the downgrade. People like to say graphics aren't important but clearly they are to a lot of people.

As mentioned by Rune, with Quest popularity soaring, more developers may focus on it at the expense of Rift/PCVR but it is what it is.

kojack
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

With Onward, this is just a developer trying to cash in and either not valuing the people that made them successful or really thought noone would mind the downgrade. People like to say graphics aren't important but clearly they are to a lot of people.

I feel the problem here is providing an equal experience on both platforms for cross play.
Watching the video, it's clear that while the previous PC version looks far better, the Quest version would provide a distinct advantage to players. The low detail graphics provide greater visibility (less objects to obscure view) and less noisy environment for camouflaging players.
Look at the preview pic for that video I posted. The new (crappy looking) version has much greater visibility, you can clearly see all the windows of the houses down the street, and somebody way down the end moving slightly would be visible. But the old version has trees blocking everything and more detail which would make a player trying to hide less noticeable.
So since the Quest can't make things look as good, they need to make the PC version look similar so the Quest players don't have an advantage at spotting enemies.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck for people who bought the PC version previously, but from a cross play gameplay point of view it may be necessary for this particular game.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary

kojack said:

pyroth309 said:

With Onward, this is just a developer trying to cash in and either not valuing the people that made them successful or really thought noone would mind the downgrade. People like to say graphics aren't important but clearly they are to a lot of people.

I feel the problem here is providing an equal experience on both platforms for cross play.
Watching the video, it's clear that while the previous PC version looks far better, the Quest version would provide a distinct advantage to players. The low detail graphics provide greater visibility (less objects to obscure view) and less noisy environment for camouflaging players.
Look at the preview pic for that video I posted. The new (crappy looking) version has much greater visibility, you can clearly see all the windows of the houses down the street, and somebody way down the end moving slightly would be visible. But the old version has trees blocking everything and more detail which would make a player trying to hide less noticeable.
So since the Quest can't make things look as good, they need to make the PC version look similar so the Quest players don't have an advantage at spotting enemies.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck for people who bought the PC version previously, but from a cross play gameplay point of view it may be necessary for this particular game.

Yea I fully agree and is what I meant with my first post. I think it's for crossplay competitive compatibility to provide an even playing field. I'm just saying, they could have at least given some more graphic options to the PC before releasing it and forcing a patch. Better grass and shadows and textures for starters but still have the option to look just like quest if you want to by going to low.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
It would be interesting to hear if anyone has gotten a better result from their Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop using the PCVR Rift version of Onward.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

pyroth309 said:

So what about the grass and wallpaper lol. Nobody was going to hide in that grass unless we are talking about Ants. I can understand them having things in the sames places, but they have dumbed down the textures so much and got rid of things that they didn't need to. This was all done just to accommodate Mobile VR.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

hmm, so 3 out of 4 active Mod's are taking the "I don't know" route. This feels like a conspiracy! 😛

@kojack - will you break the pattern and pick a side, buddy??

b8mxns8feacr.gif

2fvr20r7gbld.gif

I believe september is more likely to just be the leaked quest thingy, but I don't believe the rift is dead.

But I've given up feeling hyped for these things, I'll just wait for an official announcement then decide if I'm excited.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2