cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus account tied to device

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I know my Rift is tied to my account and I can get support for my device that way but what happens when I want to sell it and upgrade to the next version of the Rift?
6 REPLIES 6

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
I'd assume you tie your account to the new device, and it's no longer attached to the old one. But don't quote me on this.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

wuzp
Rising Star
I believe that, based on my experience with other (non Rift) Oculus devices, all you have to do is "unpair" your headset from your account; like you'd do when you sell your old Android or iPhone.  Some people get bent out of shape about this though, because they think the next owner should also inherit the content that's been previously installed (they don't).

When you disconnect the Rift from your PC (USB) the 'Remove Device' option becomes active so then just hit that and job should be done.

You then have to 'Add Headset', pair controllers and go through the setup to add it back or add a different headset.

Edit: 'Remove Device' is at the bottom of the menu that appears when you click on the Rift in the Devices tab.

wuzp
Rising Star

Edit: 'Remove Device' is at the bottom of the menu that appears when you click on the Rift in the Devices tab.

Out of curiosity; what happens if you unplug a Rift from one computer and just plug it into another???

kojack
MVP
MVP

wuzp said:

Out of curiosity; what happens if you unplug a Rift from one computer and just plug it into another???

It works fine.
The rift doesn't care which account you use, and the account doesn't care which rift you use.

The whole rift - account thing is only for getting support from oculus. If you sell a rift, the new owner gets no support because they aren't listed as the original purchaser. But they can make a new account and use the rift, they just aren't listed in Oculus' records as the owner. I use my CV1 on multiple accounts and multiple computers.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

wuzp
Rising Star

kojack said:

wuzp said:

It works fine.
The rift doesn't care which account you use, and the account doesn't care which rift you use.

The whole rift - account thing is only for getting support from oculus. If you sell a rift, the new owner gets no support because they aren't listed as the original purchaser. But they can make a new account and use the rift, they just aren't listed in Oculus' records as the owner. I use my CV1 on multiple accounts and multiple computers.

In other words... the Rift, by itself, is just a (ahem) "dumb peripheral" device.