cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

almost burned down the house

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
was cooking spaghetti, i boiled the water and put in some canola oil, the water boiled i added the spaghetti and then added in a big spoon of butter.

i covered the pot with a lid that has a pressure release and stood nearby, i look up after a minute or two and see the pot look bad so i ran and lifted the lid, some spill over went into the heat element and caught fire, and the water was really bubbly the entire cooking time.

i had a premonition i almost had a bad accident but was spare because of someone special. so thank you to whoever holds me dear to your heart! 🙂 
22 REPLIES 22

Daws-ITA
Expert Protege
Let the water boil, and a couple of spoon with salt, no oil no butter. Only when water boil add spaghetti to the pot. Move spaghetti during cooking with a fork. Cook until they are almost done, not too much, this prevent they stick tougher. Add oil just a little line,only when served on a plate. And you're done. You can eat like that, very tasty. Adding a bit of cheese and pepper, as desired. 
Well I'm Italian.. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'll take this guys advise and use oil in boiling water 🙂

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
And you notice he did not use a pressure cooker.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Pixie40 said:

And you notice he did not use a pressure cooker.

Where you looking up on how to cook pasta to find this thread 😄

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Nope, I'm familiar with cooking pasta. I don't use oil though. Actually, I rarely buy oil. When I do, it's because I need it for something like making brownies. I learned to cook pasta by watching The Frugal Gourmet and Joy of Cooking. I find Ramsay to be annoying, and not a good fit for a cooking show. He's more of a 'rockstar' personality. Also, my Joy of Cooking cookbook takes the time at the beginning of each section to explain how, and why, you do things and what common terms used mean. No where does it suggest putting oil in the water or dousing the cooked noodles with oil. In fact, I'm baffled why anyone would think adding oil to the water is going to do anything other then be a fire hazard. The oil just floats on the surface after all.

No, I saw the title of the thread, and read it. I thought I'd be offering sympathy, not boggling at the insanity of using a pressure cooker and adding oil to the water.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't use anything apart from water in a saucepan when cooking mine. I don't even use salt cos of my diabetes ?

But I also use pasta instead of spaghetti cos I end up getting covered in the stuff when eating spaghetti ????

Digikid1
Consultant
Spaghetti IS Pasta..... 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

If you want to be pedantic ??

Digikid1
Consultant

snowdog said:

Digikid1 said:

If you want to be pedantic ??

Oh but I insist.  😄  😛

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
That's why I still luv eating canned spaghetti, right out of the can.  Safety first, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers