cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - Poor tracking quality - Oculus stays black - Oculus Rift CV1

LuMiSoya
Honored Guest
Hi,
I have an old FF steering wheel which does not work with Windows 10. So I connected a separate SSD and made a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I installed all updates and the most recent nVidia drivers. I wanted to install the oculus software, but it told me to install two more windows updates. I tried to install them, but they where already installed. So I had to use
/bypassHotfixCheck 
to successfully finish the installation.

After that I was able to setup the sensors and the guardian system, but when the setup screen displays "Continue in VR" and I put on the headset I cannot see anything. The headset is black, from time to time a few dotted lines flash. The led inside the headset at the top starts to change colors between white and orange.Later I discovered that the status in the software changes to orange and it says the the device is connected, but the tracking has poor quality. After a few seconds the status changes back to green.
After the installation I discovered that the device status showed that the sensors are connected via USB2 although they are connected to a USB3 controller. I updated the Intel USB 3 driver to a version from 2017. After that the status show USB3 but the problem with the headset still persists.

I reinstalled the oculus software, changed the USB ports.disconnected the headset, connected it to USB and after a few seconds to HDMI. Nothing worked.

On another SSD there is Windows 10 installed and the headset works fine, so it should not be a generall problem with the rig. It seems to be a problem with Windows 7 or the drivers.

The system:

- Gigabyte H97-D3H mainboard
- Intel i7-4790K
- nVidia GTX 970
- 20 GB RAM

Any suggestions how to fix the problem?
26 REPLIES 26

@Bisurman Assetto Corsa works fine with Windows 10 as does CV1

If you mean they don't work with Windows 7 then yeah, the problem is Oculus stopped supporting 7. I assumed when you said your sim game was old, that you meant it wouldn't run on Windows 10 and that's why you didn't want to upgrade.

Bisurman
Honored Guest

As for wanting an old system, we'll sure it's OK to want an old system but that old system is not supported by Microsoft, it'll have increasing numbers of security flaws which don't just affect you but also the people you interact with via email or IMs (potentially) just like not wanting to be vaccinated irl.

I don't want to be taken as sarcastic, but thanks for your time to tell me and others that the core of this situation is that all folks who can't be on their own (and deciding what is good or bad) are forced to upgrades, because we can harm someone with better and latest software...
ugkendvd9f1w.jpg71pi338ctdip.jpg

Bisurman said:

You haven't said what game, 
[...]
State you hardware and we can probably confirm if that's true.

Assetto Corsa
Oculus Rift CV1
but no game from Oculus Store can start. 

Ok so now we are talking that I can infected someone via interactions... 

It's one reason amongst many so you can concentrate on that reason if it means you don't have to deal with any of the other reasons but your problem is more immediate... compatibility.

Compatibility with hardware and with software and that's going to get worse, and get worse.

You said earlier that all your investment in hardware and software are gone. Well, if you don't upgrade that's true, it is.

It doesn't matter what anyone here says, Oculus aren't going to start supporting an OS that MS no longer supports. MS aren't going to start supporting an OS they've stopped supporting.

You've been offered a link that gets you Windows 10 upgrade for free (provided you have a licenced copy of 7) and the upgrade takes no more than 30 mins after which you're good to go. So the final decision is all yours, dismiss everyone's suggestions and sell your hardware... or upgrade.

....or spend a lot of time here protesting and then upgrade 🙂

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Oh and congrats on mastering racing in a video game......
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Oculus, I can't run my Rift S on my PC and there's no way in hell that I'm going to upgrade a perfectly good operating system that I've been using since the 80s. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.

https://youtu.be/PeNQbV4pEsM

?????

?????

Bisurman
Honored Guest

Morgrum said:

Oh and congrats on mastering racing in a video game......

Thank you!
I can tell you (but in secret!) that once upon a time I was also mastering Super Mario Bros...........

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I once beat Contra without loosing a life.
 No one has ever believed me. ?
WAAAGH!