Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

JULY 2020
e3qy7mc7f7re.jpg

Some dude posted on Index Reddit that Index is now the 3rd most popular HMD on Steam, which of course is shown in the chart. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/i4vgci/valve_index_is_now_3rd_most_owned_vr_headset_on/

This does show that many are willing to pay 1k for a HMD - and interesting if Index can move one more step up the chart if the original Vive starts to sink... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP
Also fun that Windows MR and Vive Cosmos combined are less than Quests, considering Quest isn't even natively compatible with Steam. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So if we accept these numbers for the sake of argument, Oculus still controls over 45% of the PCVR headset market, while HTC has dropped off to just under 29%. Going back to 2018 (the start of this thread), Oculus was at about 47% and HTC was around 45%, and WMR made up most of the difference at almost 8%. Oculus and WMR have more or less held their market share,
while HTC has lost out to Valve and a small smattering of minor
players.

Interesting that, for all the talk of Oculus losing their place as a player in PCVR, they still hold a commanding 50% lead over the next closest competitor.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kojack
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Also fun that Windows MR and Vive Cosmos combined are less than Quests, considering Quest isn't even natively compatible with Steam. 🙂

I just want to point out that this wasn't an endorsement of the idea that quest is killing pcvr. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Its not helping though!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP
It might be helping... Given the rising number of people using Quest for PCVR, we can assume that some of them got their first taste of VR through Quest, and then forayed into PCVR to see what more was available.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

So if we accept these numbers for the sake of argument, Oculus still controls over 45% of the PCVR headset market, while HTC has dropped off to just under 29%. Going back to 2018 (the start of this thread), Oculus was at about 47% and HTC was around 45%, and WMR made up most of the difference at almost 8%. Oculus and WMR have more or less held their market share,
while HTC has lost out to Valve and a small smattering of minor
players.

Interesting that, for all the talk of Oculus losing their place as a player in PCVR, they still hold a commanding 50% lead over the next closest competitor.

Indeed. And if it wasn't for that Google buyout, HTC would likely be out of the race entirely. Now that Microsoft is becoming more established in the Corporate Enterprise, it looks like HTC will be struggling again soon. At least here in the US.

kojack said:

kojack said:

I just want to point out that this wasn't an endorsement of the idea that quest is killing pcvr. 🙂

Just typing Quest is apparently killing PCVR 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Just typing Q**** is apparently killing PCVR 😛

Correct, there are some things we do not talk about  😐  It's nothing out of the ordinary, more examples here  o:)

https://youtu.be/yfl6Lu3xQW0

pu6xohgt38om.jpg

jab
Rising Star
It is sad to see how bad HTC screwed the pooch with Cosmos. Look at the Vive Pro and how relatively high the adoption numbers are even with the price and "for business only" aspect, then imagine what the Cosmos could have been.

A slight increase to the Vive Pro FoV (already surprisingly close to the Index) and better controllers then the old fashion wands, and HTC would have had a Index competitor. And then if they also kept it compatible with the HTC Wireless kit, they would have had something unique that Index does not have.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

jab said:

It is sad to see how bad HTC screwed the pooch with Cosmos. Look at the Vive Pro and how relatively high the adoption numbers are even with the price and "for business only" aspect, then imagine what the Cosmos could have been.

A slight increase to the Vive Pro FoV (already surprisingly close to the Index) and better controllers then the old fashion wands, and HTC would have had a Index competitor. And then if they also kept it compatible with the HTC Wireless kit, they would have had something unique that Index does not have.

Vive Pro seems to be doing better - but it's discontinued and might only be available as long as stocks last. It seems sold out in US, but not yet in the EU. Might be last chance to get a new Vive Pro, which has oled and Index res - not a bad combo with Knuckles, but you don't get Index fov and you do get much more SDE. 

Elite might be the best hope - it seems that hmd is the best-selling HTC hmd right now, but best-selling is far from great-selling, lol.