cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - USB plug has to be Reseated upon every restart

blanes
Rising Star
I have had my Rift S and before that Rift CV1 since launch - plugged into same PC since then and never had any issue with any of my USB ports.

However since about a month ago I have to unplug my Rift S usb connector and then replug it in every time I reboot my PC.  Otherwise I cannot use the Rift S due to a hardware notification telling me my Rift is not working and I have to plug into a new USB port.  That is wrong because I just reuse the same plug and then it works,  I have tried every other USB port and the problem still manifest each reboot.

It is really annoying as there is nothing wrong with my USB ports, the problem began when I subscribed to the Test channel whilst on the version 16 release, which worked fine. But then even unsubscribing and going back to v16 the problem remained and now with the v17 full release update I expected it would be fixed and it is not.

Has anyone else encountered this ?  Is there any workaround or fix to prevent having to unplug and plug back into USB upon every single reboot ... so crazy really and frustrating as it seems Oculus do not reply anymore on these forums regarding such problems.
20 REPLIES 20

m3hdi095
Honored Guest

blanes said:

I have had my Rift S and before that Rift CV1 since launch - plugged into same PC since then and never had any issue with any of my USB ports.

However since about a month ago I have to unplug my Rift S usb connector and then replug it in every time I reboot my PC.  Otherwise I cannot use the Rift S due to a hardware notification telling me my Rift is not working and I have to plug into a new USB port.  That is wrong because I just reuse the same plug and then it works,  I have tried every other USB port and the problem still manifest each reboot.

It is really annoying as there is nothing wrong with my USB ports, the problem began when I subscribed to the Test channel whilst on the version 16 release, which worked fine. But then even unsubscribing and going back to v16 the problem remained and now with the v17 full release update I expected it would be fixed and it is not.

Has anyone else encountered this ?  Is there any workaround or fix to prevent having to unplug and plug back into USB upon every single reboot ... so crazy really and frustrating as it seems Oculus do not reply anymore on these forums regarding such problems.

same problem for me

Buzzsaw1
Explorer
and all we hear are crickets 😞

LavaMonkey
Explorer
Hey, so I had this same problem for months. It got very annoying. I tested every USB port on my computer. I finally got it fixed, for me at least, by buying a PCI-E USB card. I got it at Amazon and here is the description. I'd just post the link, but apparently Oculus thinks I'm untrustworthy.

Tiergrade
Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expasion Card with 15-Pin SATA
Power Connector - PCI Express(PCIe) Expansion Card USB Card for Desktop
PC Support Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP

I'm not sure why this fixed the issue, I just knew that none of the onboard USB ports worked so I figured I'd try something else, and this is the other thing that happened to fix the issue for me.

legendlcox
Explorer
This happens to me as well. 

D_K
Honored Guest
Ive had this problem since I got my S, Ive tried all the solutions, updated every driver I can including motherboard etc, it still does it, I found a workaround that I can get it to work without having to unplug all the time as I was worried about damaging the hardware,  if you download Oculus Tray Tool, there is a button to "restart service" If I open the Oculus software up and see the red light/notification I do this, it restarts the Oculus software and the headset is then detected perfectly, without having to pull at the cable all the time.

I hope this helps!

ageofwar666
Protege
I have the same problem odd thing is that if I restart the Oculus software about 2 to 3 times via the option under setting and beta the problem fixes itself without touching the USB cable until I reboot the PC

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer
I've been getting this too since the last driver update. Prior to that it worked perfectly for months. Now I have to connect, wait for the error, disconnect, and reconnect to the exact same port.  😞

Globespy
Expert Protege
Been having this issue lately too.
I wonder if it's something to do with the new Win 10 v2004 build - they had USB issues I read.

I have a Sata powered Startech PCIe card with 4 USB 3.0 ports that each have their very own USB controller, and the Oculus is plugged into this, so pretty sure it's not my motherboard.

Can't wait for other options, Oculus have really shown their true colors regarding the Rift S - I get that it's going to be a retired device, with the next Quest being the only device offered by Oculus that pleases both standalone users and dedicated PC users. It's a great idea, but to be this dismissive about a device that's barely a couple of years old is sad.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also facing Same problem