cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Hiro_Protag0nist said:
As I stated at the time - I tried it, next time I logged in, well, I couldn't!

Yeah, I know but there are some posters on those forums that were adamant this was no "biggie" only for those posters to now seem to have vanished - like so many from this forum!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I don't have a Facebook account, guess I can make one if that's required to be with Olivia again...

This does feel like sad news, I like Oculus, it's a great name - feels like something great died today.

Facebook has paid for my entertainment since Lone Echo and more. I wonder how long Facebook will continue to use the name Oculus for their hmds... Then again, maybe it had to happen, and maybe it will all be just fine....

b66stvkfees7.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

ShocksVR
Superstar
Whoops . Wrong thread.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well, I guess Oculus just made my mind up not to get another Oculus headset, because if a new Oculus headset dropped tomorrow, I would only get 2 years out of it before being forced to do something I never want to do. I have no plans to create a Facebook account it's simple as that, but I'm glad they are being honest about it now.

I don't think the fake accounts will last long because I can't see Facebook wanting lots of fake accounts. No doubt there will be something in the pipeline to stop you creating fake accounts at some point. 

Will my Oculus account just close automatically, or will I have to close it myself after that date? At no point do I ever want my Oculus account merging with a Facebook account. Talk about a way to alienate some people, but I saw this coming from a mile away.

Find some way for us to continue to play our games. Well thanks for that Facebook, but I'll just get mine from Steam from now on and I won't have a problem playing games in future, unless they are Oculus exclusives off course.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
k5pyy926d2j9.jpg

Digikid1
Consultant
bz8lp1gi7ezk.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well they have been doing a good job of alienating some of their higher end PC-VR users, and now looks like they will be alienating even more on top of that with this dumb move.
Facebook has certainly been getting some bad press of late as well, moves like this don't help.

ShocksVR
Superstar
Question -

If I currently have a 'pseudo' FB account linked to my Oculus account, should I instead connect my REAL FB account now before FB merges our Oculus account to our FB account.  The way it's worded, the merging of accounts starting in October may be a permanent thing.

I'm worried if my Oculus account becomes permanently merged to my pseduo FB account, and thus if my pseudo account is ever deactivated then I lose everything.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

jab
Rising Star
What is the main source of income for facebook you say? Targeted ads using your personal information you say?

So once the noise settles down a bit, the next step from FB should be obvious. Have your cake and eat it too is the preferred business choice available to those lucky few who successfully builds a walled garden with total control over both hardware and software.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I wonder when the forums will require a Facebook account to login.