New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

Comments

• LuninLunin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Welp, time to stop developing for Quest first.
  • NeloDiavoloNeloDiavolo Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    wuzp said:

21. Modifications to the Services
    Oculus reserves the right to change, suspend, remove, discontinue or disable access to the Services or particular portions thereof, at any time and without notice. In no event will Oculus be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any portion or feature of the Services.

They can put whatever they want in their terms of agreement. It doesn't mean that it will hold up in a court of law. I am reading from others from various countries that changing the functionality or disabling features warrants a refund. 

I own a Rift, Go, and Quest, and I have no intention of merging a Facebook account. I have a decent library of games but it seems that going forward I will have to look at other devices and stick with Steam VR.
  • BrinktonBrinkton Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey Oculus (i.e., Facebook overloards), I don't have a Facebook account and don't think it's appropriate that you force me to have one just so I have the pleasure of continued use of Oculus because I i) paid for the hardware and ii) pay for software titles.  Please explain in a way that does not invoke triggers of anti-trust hatred why this requirement was necessary in any way.
  • samguthriesamguthrie Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 18
    And that is it, I'm selling my Rift S the second I can find an Index, two years is more than enough. Not in a million years I'll sign for a FB account to use a piece of hardware.
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    wuzp said:

21. Modifications to the Services
    Oculus reserves the right to change, suspend, remove, discontinue or disable access to the Services or particular portions thereof, at any time and without notice. In no event will Oculus be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any portion or feature of the Services.

They can put whatever they want in their terms of agreement. It doesn't mean that it will hold up in a court of law. I am reading from others from various countries that changing the functionality or disabling features warrants a refund. 
    You're probably right.  But in the end... it is cheaper for FB to just give your money back.  Even if they refunded 25% of the people who ever bought Oculus equipment; it is still less than 1/20th their market cap.  But before they do that, they may point out that, most purchasers have no standing outside the U.S. because they live in countries that Oculus is not allowed to ship to; or that they are not responsible for headset purchases made on the gray/black market.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 567
    Neo
    edited August 18
    Brinkton said:
    Hey Oculus (i.e., Facebook overloards), I don't have a Facebook account and don't think it's appropriate that you force me to have one just so I have the pleasure of continued use of Oculus because I i) paid for the hardware and ii) pay for software titles.  Please explain in a way that does not invoke triggers of anti-trust hatred why this requirement was necessary in any way.

In the FAQ, it states existing hardware is not affected by this change. When the 2023 deadline hits, you can still use your Oculus account on existing hardware to access your existing purchased apps
    The new account rules apply to NEW headsets.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S , Oculus Quest 2
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    ShocksVR said:
    Brinkton said:

In the FAQ, it states existing hardware is not affected by this change. When the 2023 deadline hits, you can still use your Oculus account on existing hardware to access your existing purchased apps
    The new account rules apply to NEW headsets.
    They can be generous on the deadline, because by 2023, your Quest will be in the same shape as the CV1 devices.  Better start hoarding spare controllers & link cables  :D
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,822 Valuable Player
    I do wonder if any of my 2 CV1s will still be working in 2023, but I do own Oculus software for more than 1k...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Neo
    edited August 18
    dburne said:
    RIP Rift.
    Go mobile social Quest!!!!!!!! Yay let's have some FB parties!!
     ;) 

ps: If not for VR being developed for games, there would be no VR future.
    Last I purchased Oculus software was in Jan of this year, probably will remain the last time.
    Oh come on dood, we both know you're going to buy Medal of Honor - Above and Beyond, and perhaps Lone Echo 2 B)

But I agree, this looks to be the final sign they're pivoting away from PCVR and going full steam ahead with standalone.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,700 Valuable Player
    edited August 18
    dburne said:
    RIP Rift.

I can understand people wanting to take that extreme view. But it is just that: An extreme view.

Besides, I don't believe that even you believe it when you say, "RIP Rift." Recently, you follow up all your commentary with a safety net like, "I would be happy if Oculus proves me wrong."

So if the Rift continues on through 2021 with flying colors, you won't have to admit you were wrong the last year. You'll just point to your safety net one-liners. Very cute!

Go mobile social Quest!!!!!!!! Yay let's have some FB parties!!

Quest is for Business Apps as well, and it can run PCVR, remember? In fact, you argued that you prefer playing your PCVR Sims on Quest as opposed to Rift.
    ;)

ps: If not for VR being developed for games, there would be no VR future.

That is a fairy tale. VR is still, to this day, measuring in low numbers. It isn't even measured in 10's of millions yet, let alone 100's of millions. Yet we have had VR video games since the DK days. History and Math dictate that you are 100% wrong. The facts dictate that by focusing so heavily on video games, VR's growth has been completely hampered. Now, in 2020, when anyone hears about VR all they think about is video games. That is such an injustice to VR's true capabilities.

Luckily, that is all changing sooner rather than later.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • KareshiKareshi Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Sucking that zuck duck bro LOL Jesus
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,822 Valuable Player
    Agreed, this does look like the definitive support of the Standalone ecosystem - using Horizon as the launch environment, and the tagged headsets as the delivery medium. A very dedicated way in trying to recoup the $3b. I think however this will hit the VR community hard, as many posters on other forums have been trying to down play this as "something we all expected", when in reality many had been defending this as something that would be lunacy to consider. 

All rests on what is released at OC7 now - and we seem to have a hint at a October reveal.
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,958 Valuable Player
    There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.
    Sucking that zuck duck bro LOL Jesus

pfft, phallic much? I could take you to task on the personal attacks. But I don't wanna give the Mod's a headache over someone like you. Just gonna tag this to let the Mod's deal with the childish commentary.

• KareshiKareshi Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

pfft, phallic much? I could take you to task on the personal attacks. But I don't wanna give the Mod's a headache over someone like you. Just gonna tag this to let the Mod's deal with the childish commentary.

Who is talking to you? Did I tag you? Sensitive much?

RedRizla said:
    There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.

Don't you still play Oculus exclusives?
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,714 Valuable Player
    edited August 18
    I have a FB account since a few months - my family asked me to make one for easy non-essential comms. I also use it for a biker group I belong to.

I've never used it for Oculus stuff, nor will I ever. I'll see what's left for me to access - though who knows, it may just be that you can't play multiplayer or have friends on the Oculus platform - and then decide if they can shove it or not. Can't see me buying any more Oculus headsets, though, regardless of how good or convenient they are.

Wasn't happy from square One about FB buying Oculus and let's face it, only someone really kidding themselves would not have seen some kind of merger coming at some stage - though I think this is more than most were expecting. Whilst I'm disappointed, I'm not in any way surprised.

Afterthought: To me, FB is synonymous with "Can't be trusted"

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
  • Cowboy10ukCowboy10uk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Lol, wow. Well it was a nice ride while it lasted, but I guess I’m gonna have to start looking at other VR platforms.   I don’t have a Facebook account in my name and I have absolutely no desire to get one due to security concerns with my work.

I will most certainly not be making one and connecting it purely so I can use VR, when there are other solutions out there that do not require this Requirement. 

Certainly I know I’m not the only one in this situation, and I’m sure this requirement will push people away from oculus.  

Sadly can’t say I’m completely surprised, BUT I am very disappointed, that I’m being forced away from a platform that I’ve been using since the Kickstarter, through no fault of my own.
    JD-UK said:
    only someone really kidding themselves would not have seen some kind of merger coming at some stage - though I think this is more than most were expecting. Whilst I'm disappointed, I'm not in any way surprised.

Completely agree. I can't really think of anyone who made a strong argument that this would never happen. Maybe it was before my time on the forum. But ever since my arrival, most people understood the inevitable.

Granted, plenty of people have voiced their discontent about something like this ever happening. Which I can certainly understand to some degree. In my case, I see the data sharing happening all over the place, so in the end I don't really care. We get spied on by everyone! lol

I am curious about your situation though. If you are already using the Facebook social app, why would you avoid linking it to your Oculus account?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,958 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

No, I've not played anything for a while in VR apart from DCS. I used to play Thrill Of the fight a lot, but I can't do that with the current HP Reverb because I will destroy it.
    Neo
    edited August 18
    ....   I don’t have a Facebook account in my name and I have absolutely no desire to get one due to security concerns with my work.....
    That's what I'm most concerned about. I don't want any linking of my real name to be associated as a gamer/gaming. I'm entering a profession where such activity is seen as immature and perhaps not professional. Nothing I can do to change that until the older generations accept gaming as an equivalent to something like watching TV.

RedRizla said:
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

No, I've not played anything for a while in VR apart from DCS. I used to play Thrill Of the fight a lot, but I can't do that with the current HP Reverb because I will destroy it.

Fair enough! RedRizla is in an official 3rd Category of forum members. <3
  • ElmshawnElmshawn Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Fuck Mark ZuckerDick, I don't do FAKEBOOK so he can suck my dick and I will be getting rid of my Quest soon then! 
    ShocksVR said:
     I don't want any linking of my real name to be associated as a gamer/gaming. I'm entering a profession where such activity is seen as immature and perhaps not professional.

Yes! Thank you for saying that. @dburne, this is what I was referring to about gaming hampering VR. Shock's comment illustrates this perfectly. People have to hide their gaming life from their professional life in many instances (especially the more professional your career becomes) due to the unfortunate viewpoint people have about gaming/gamers. And this is exactly why VR has been hampered by the heavy focus on gaming.

In my case, I got around this by creating an entirely separate FB Account to link to my Quest. My Quest is on a different profile that my Rift CV1.

Although anyone who dislikes FB in general will clearly be opposed to any work-around that involves creating a FB Account. I don't blame someone for that at all. But I am honestly confused as well since (as others in this thread have pointed out), this seemed like an obvious thing that would eventually happen.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,213 Volunteer Moderator
    I can understand the fear about the account link being public—not many people would want to enter a typical multiplayer lobby with their real name showing. They say we can still have a separate “VR identity” that doesn’t reveal our real names, but does that extend beyond 2023 when they retire Oculus accounts?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Splice819Splice819 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So I've been waiting to get my first VR setup until things settled this fall. With this announcement, I'll be looking at ANYTHING but Oculus. In fact I registered so they would know they are making a bad decision. I know they don't care but there you go.

Cheers,