cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

nalex66
MVP
MVP

ShocksVR said:

Question -

If I currently have a 'pseudo' FB account linked to my Oculus account, should I instead connect my REAL FB account now before FB merges our Oculus account to our FB account.  The way it's worded, the merging of accounts starting in October may be a permanent thing.

I'm worried if my Oculus account becomes permanently merged to my pseduo FB account, and thus if my pseudo account is ever deactivated then I lose everything.

According to the full FAQ, the "merging" of accounts will  be permanent, unlike the current "linking" of accounts. Best be sure your FB account is in order before making that commitment.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
This is the beginning of the end for me I am afraid.

Recently I had started to buy games from the oculus store, I had originally bought 99% of my games through steam and used a Rift CV1. Then came the quest and I had to buy some Quest only games but I had also started to buy PC VR games to use with link....

Now I do not know what to do, I absolutely refuse to be pushed into something I dislike and I really hate the idea of making a fake FB account just to log into my VR headset account.

So at this time, I am considering selling my quest or I will just keep it and play what I have and just use it until its end of life with no new games from Oculus.

Lunin
Honored Guest
Welp, time to stop developing for Quest first.

NeloDiavolo
Protege

wuzp said:

21. Modifications to the Services
Oculus reserves the right to change, suspend, remove, discontinue or disable access to the Services or particular portions thereof, at any time and without notice. In no event will Oculus be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any portion or feature of the Services.

They can put whatever they want in their terms of agreement. It doesn't mean that it will hold up in a court of law. I am reading from others from various countries that changing the functionality or disabling features warrants a refund. 

I own a Rift, Go, and Quest, and I have no intention of merging a Facebook account. I have a decent library of games but it seems that going forward I will have to look at other devices and stick with Steam VR.

Brinkton
Honored Guest
Hey Oculus (i.e., Facebook overloards), I don't have a Facebook account and don't think it's appropriate that you force me to have one just so I have the pleasure of continued use of Oculus because I i) paid for the hardware and ii) pay for software titles.  Please explain in a way that does not invoke triggers of anti-trust hatred why this requirement was necessary in any way.

samguthrie
Explorer
And that is it, I'm selling my Rift S the second I can find an Index, two years is more than enough. Not in a million years I'll sign for a FB account to use a piece of hardware.

wuzp
Rising Star

wuzp said:

21. Modifications to the Services
Oculus reserves the right to change, suspend, remove, discontinue or disable access to the Services or particular portions thereof, at any time and without notice. In no event will Oculus be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any portion or feature of the Services.

They can put whatever they want in their terms of agreement. It doesn't mean that it will hold up in a court of law. I am reading from others from various countries that changing the functionality or disabling features warrants a refund. 

You're probably right.  But in the end... it is cheaper for FB to just give your money back.  Even if they refunded 25% of the people who ever bought Oculus equipment; it is still less than 1/20th their market cap.  But before they do that, they may point out that, most purchasers have no standing outside the U.S. because they live in countries that Oculus is not allowed to ship to; or that they are not responsible for headset purchases made on the gray/black market.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Brinkton said:

Hey Oculus (i.e., Facebook overloards), I don't have a Facebook account and don't think it's appropriate that you force me to have one just so I have the pleasure of continued use of Oculus because I i) paid for the hardware and ii) pay for software titles.  Please explain in a way that does not invoke triggers of anti-trust hatred why this requirement was necessary in any way.

In the FAQ, it states existing hardware is not affected by this change. When the 2023 deadline hits, you can still use your Oculus account on existing hardware to access your existing purchased apps
The new account rules apply to NEW headsets.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

wuzp
Rising Star

ShocksVR said:

Brinkton said:

In the FAQ, it states existing hardware is not affected by this change. When the 2023 deadline hits, you can still use your Oculus account on existing hardware to access your existing purchased apps
The new account rules apply to NEW headsets.

They can be generous on the deadline, because by 2023, your Quest will be in the same shape as the CV1 devices.  Better start hoarding spare controllers & link cables  😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I do wonder if any of my 2 CV1s will still be working in 2023, but I do own Oculus software for more than 1k...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"