cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Geeze, so much salt in the commentary lol

Firstly, using this news to attack other members of the forum who said things in the past is rather silly, especially when there are people in this thread who get upset when the same exact thing is done to them. I always say, practice what you preach. If you don't like when people bring up your own forum history, then don't bring up the forum history of others. Especially when it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Second, there is no evidence that this will actually "fragment" the Oculus community. Obviously, I enjoy this community quite a bit! But we are lying to ourselves if we think that this community is an adequate representation of the Oculus consumer base. Sorry, but that's just not the case.

Look at the actual activity. We have tons of new users joining on a weekly basis. Yet we can safely say that 90% of them are here just for Troubleshooting purposes. Look at the Support specific requests vs general community conversation activity. The number of posters here who are considered "Regulars" fall in to 2 categories:
  • VR enthusiasts that enjoy Oculus VR to some degree.
  • Anti-Facebook, Anti-Oculus posters who remain on the forum specifically to portray Oculus, Facebook, and existing community members in a "bad light."
The number of consumers who are posting on Facebook itself (the Social Media App) throughout the various Oculus VR Groups completely dwarfs this forum's activity.

Third, everyone knew this was coming ever since Facebook bought out Oculus. I know that I've personally been excited to see Facebook absorb more of the Oculus ecosystem; Facebook's acquisition of Oculus is one of the main reasons I invested in Oculus VR. This news should not be a surprise to anyone at all.

Facebook may have some issues in the news, but who cares? Their success is undeniable. One simple example is their Stock price. They are currently trading, consistently, at over $250 per share. It's getting closer to $270 as a new baseline. This is great for people like me who came in back when the stock was under $190!

We already knew that Facebook was targeting Social VR as well as Workplace VR. They talked about this a ton at both the Oculus and Facebook conferences. Oculus Quest now has two Remote Workplace apps in its store: Immersed and Spatial.

And both are 100% free. I've already used Immersed, and will be trying out Spatial this week. Both are a fantastic first step in to the future of remote work and home office.

I keep seeing people in this community talk as if "video games" are the sole representative of "high-end VR." Nope, it isn't. We can't define "high-end VR" as something that requires the best CPU and GPU to run a video game. That's just a definition for "high-end gaming."

High-End VR is something that gets used in mass quantity on a global scale to help change the world and society.

Social Interaction and Enhanced Workplace are two factors that most certainly achieve advancement on a global scale. I mean, hell, we're here having this conversation on a Bulletin Board in the year 2020; yet we're supposed to be Technology Enthusiasts??!!

I've been saying it for years: The idea that video games as the future of VR is absurd. Whether it's AAA titles like Half-Life: Alyx, or gimmicky VR Arcades and attractions... games are just the things we can do in between working and family. But when you have something that changes how you engage with your family and friends, and changes how you work... THAT is the real innovation.

Facebook innovation is everywhere. And every major outlet shares data with Facebook. Including Amazon, Apple, Google, and Microsoft. If you have an account on this forum, then you already have an account with Facebook. Protesting a Facebook account doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint, since the data is all the same; only the front-end software is different.

Anyone can create a Facebook.com account and use it in the same manner that you're using this forum. Facebook doesn't gain any additional information about you that it doesn't already have. Embrace change, and embrace the future, folks!
❤️

Anonymous
Not applicable
RIP Rift.
Go mobile social Quest!!!!!!!! Yay let's have some FB parties!!
 😉 

ps: If not for VR being developed for games, there would be no VR future.
Last I purchased Oculus software was in Jan of this year, probably will remain the last time.

ShocksVR
Superstar

dburne said:

RIP Rift.
 😉 

Last I purchased Oculus software was in Jan of this year, probably will remain the last time.

Oh come on dood, we both know you're going to buy Medal of Honor - Above and Beyond, and perhaps Lone Echo 2 B)

But I agree, this looks to be the final sign they're pivoting away from PCVR and going full steam ahead with standalone.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

RIP Rift.

I can understand people wanting to take that extreme view. But it is just that: An extreme view.

Besides, I don't believe that even you believe it when you say, "RIP Rift." Recently, you follow up all your commentary with a safety net like, "I would be happy if Oculus proves me wrong."

So if the Rift continues on through 2021 with flying colors, you won't have to admit you were wrong the last year. You'll just point to your safety net one-liners. Very cute!

Quest is for Business Apps as well, and it can run PCVR, remember? In fact, you argued that you prefer playing your PCVR Sims on Quest as opposed to Rift.
😉

That is a fairy tale. VR is still, to this day, measuring in low numbers. It isn't even measured in 10's of millions yet, let alone 100's of millions. Yet we have had VR video games since the DK days. History and Math dictate that you are 100% wrong. The facts dictate that by focusing so heavily on video games, VR's growth has been completely hampered. Now, in 2020, when anyone hears about VR all they think about is video games. That is such an injustice to VR's true capabilities.

Luckily, that is all changing sooner rather than later.

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
Sucking that zuck duck bro LOL Jesus

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Agreed, this does look like the definitive support of the Standalone ecosystem - using Horizon as the launch environment, and the tagged headsets as the delivery medium. A very dedicated way in trying to recoup the $3b. I think however this will hit the VR community hard, as many posters on other forums have been trying to down play this as "something we all expected", when in reality many had been defending this as something that would be lunacy to consider. 

All rests on what is released at OC7 now - and we seem to have a hint at a October reveal.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Sucking that zuck duck bro LOL Jesus

pfft, phallic much? I could take you to task on the personal attacks. But I don't wanna give the Mod's a headache over someone like you. Just gonna tag this to let the Mod's deal with the childish commentary.

@kojack @DaftnDirect @Techy111 @nalex66

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

pfft, phallic much? I could take you to task on the personal attacks. But I don't wanna give the Mod's a headache over someone like you. Just gonna tag this to let the Mod's deal with the childish commentary.

@kojack @DaftnDirect @Techy111 @nalex66

Who is talking to you? Did I tag you? Sensitive much?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.

Don't you still play Oculus exclusives?