cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I have a FB account since a few months - my family asked me to make one for easy non-essential comms. I also use it for a biker group I belong to.

I've never used it for Oculus stuff, nor will I ever. I'll see what's left for me to access - though who knows, it may just be that you can't play multiplayer or have friends on the Oculus platform - and then decide if they can shove it or not. Can't see me buying any more Oculus headsets, though, regardless of how good or convenient they are.

Wasn't happy from square One about FB buying Oculus and let's face it, only someone really kidding themselves would not have seen some kind of merger coming at some stage - though I think this is more than most were expecting. Whilst I'm disappointed, I'm not in any way surprised.

Afterthought: To me, FB is synonymous with "Can't be trusted"

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Cowboy10uk
Protege
Lol, wow. Well it was a nice ride while it lasted, but I guess I’m gonna have to start looking at other VR platforms.   I don’t have a Facebook account in my name and I have absolutely no desire to get one due to security concerns with my work.

I will most certainly not be making one and connecting it purely so I can use VR, when there are other solutions out there that do not require this Requirement. 

Certainly I know I’m not the only one in this situation, and I’m sure this requirement will push people away from oculus.  

Sadly can’t say I’m completely surprised, BUT I am very disappointed, that I’m being forced away from a platform that I’ve been using since the Kickstarter, through no fault of my own.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

JD-UK said:

only someone really kidding themselves would not have seen some kind of merger coming at some stage - though I think this is more than most were expecting. Whilst I'm disappointed, I'm not in any way surprised.

Completely agree. I can't really think of anyone who made a strong argument that this would never happen. Maybe it was before my time on the forum. But ever since my arrival, most people understood the inevitable.

Granted, plenty of people have voiced their discontent about something like this ever happening. Which I can certainly understand to some degree. In my case, I see the data sharing happening all over the place, so in the end I don't really care. We get spied on by everyone! lol

I am curious about your situation though. If you are already using the Facebook social app, why would you avoid linking it to your Oculus account?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.

Don't you still play Oculus exclusives?

No, I've not played anything for a while in VR apart from DCS. I used to play Thrill Of the fight a lot, but I can't do that with the current HP Reverb because I will destroy it.

ShocksVR
Superstar

....   I don’t have a Facebook account in my name and I have absolutely no desire to get one due to security concerns with my work.....

That's what I'm most concerned about. I don't want any linking of my real name to be associated as a gamer/gaming. I'm entering a profession where such activity is seen as immature and perhaps not professional. Nothing I can do to change that until the older generations accept gaming as an equivalent to something like watching TV.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

There's more than just two categories of people in the forum. I liked Oculus when it first started up, but I don't like Facebook for reasons I'll keep to myself. I also don't paint community members in a bad light and have enjoyed many a good conversation.

Don't you still play Oculus exclusives?

No, I've not played anything for a while in VR apart from DCS. I used to play Thrill Of the fight a lot, but I can't do that with the current HP Reverb because I will destroy it.

Fair enough! RedRizla is in an official 3rd Category of forum members. ❤️

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fuck Mark ZuckerDick, I don't do FAKEBOOK so he can suck my dick and I will be getting rid of my Quest soon then! 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

ShocksVR said:

I don't want any linking of my real name to be associated as a gamer/gaming. I'm entering a profession where such activity is seen as immature and perhaps not professional.

Yes! Thank you for saying that. @dburne, this is what I was referring to about gaming hampering VR. Shock's comment illustrates this perfectly. People have to hide their gaming life from their professional life in many instances (especially the more professional your career becomes) due to the unfortunate viewpoint people have about gaming/gamers. And this is exactly why VR has been hampered by the heavy focus on gaming.

In my case, I got around this by creating an entirely separate FB Account to link to my Quest. My Quest is on a different profile that my Rift CV1.

Although anyone who dislikes FB in general will clearly be opposed to any work-around that involves creating a FB Account. I don't blame someone for that at all. But I am honestly confused as well since (as others in this thread have pointed out), this seemed like an obvious thing that would eventually happen.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I can understand the fear about the account link being public—not many people would want to enter a typical multiplayer lobby with their real name showing. They say we can still have a separate “VR identity” that doesn’t reveal our real names, but does that extend beyond 2023 when they retire Oculus accounts?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Sadly can’t say I’m completely surprised, BUT I am very disappointed, that I’m being forced away from a platform that I’ve been using since the Kickstarter, through no fault of my own.

Sadly we also feel the same way. And while some tried to claim this was never going to happen, and that it was "...scaremongering..." that this day would come, others way back in 2014 could see the writing on the wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpbqRmqKlDw&feature=youtu.be
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959