cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Flight Sim X (FSX) confirmed working with Rift!

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
Immersion is incredible! Gauges are actually quite readable! I need to do more experiments with larger planes and tubeliners

I got it to work with FaceTrackNoir (pre-alpha release supports the rift), and Vireio Perception. I'll post up a tutorial and more feedback soon.
255 REPLIES 255

Gabeb
Honored Guest
Awesome work, can't wait to try it.

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
To get this working with fsx.exe --

You'll need - Facetracknoir build 20130428 2.7 http://speedy.sh/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z (pre-alpha 2.8) or above, and Vireio Perception.

Go to the Perception/cfg folder and edit profiles.xml - add FSX (copy from the other profiles) with the following settings:
game_type="0" game_exe="fsx.exe". Your profile should look something like this --

<profile game_name="MS Flight Sim" game_exe="fsx.exe" game_type="0" separation="0.00358799" convergence="-0.02" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Go to the Perception/bin folder - copy the 3 dlls to your FSX directory (where fsx.exe resides): d3d9.dll, hijackdll.dll, libfreespace.dll

Start FacetrackNoir (ftnoir.exe), set the first Tracker Source to "Rift". Set the Game Protocol to "FreeTrack 2.0"
You need to edit the curves to allow free head movement. It should look something like this -

Start perception.exe, and select "Oculus Rift" in the drop down menu with "No Tracking".

Put on the rift and in the Go! box click "Start"

Start FSX.exe -- make sure your video settings within FSX is set to 1280x800x32

Enjoy!

nickanderson
Explorer
Can you tell us where you are getting face track? http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm this site has 3.0 which does not match up to the version you listed, previous versions do not match up either.

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
mm0zct (FaceTrackNoir author) has told me I can share the alpha file.

You can download the file here -- http://speedy.sh/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z

ReT
Honored Guest
That sounds sweet! Any chance of uploading a little clip for us on YouTube showing how it looks? 😄

Its only way those of us who havent received our Rifts yet can get our fix in! 😛

LeonBrazil
Honored Guest
Just tried this with the demo of FSX.

I followed the procedures and the noir tracking looked like it was working fine.
Started perception.
Fired up the FSX.exe demo and when I run the game, the viewports are way up high on the screen.
In the front end, it displays my microlight in two viewports, but when the game starts, they are squashed at the top of the screen. It doesn't look like the tracking is working either once in game.

This looks like it could be super fun if I can get it to work, maybe it is because it is just a demo version of FSX. :?

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
"LeonBrazil" wrote:
Just tried this with the demo of FSX.

I followed the procedures and the noir tracking looked like it was working fine.
Started perception.
Fired up the FSX.exe demo and when I run the game, the viewports are way up high on the screen.
In the front end, it displays my microlight in two viewports, but when the game starts, they are squashed at the top of the screen. It doesn't look like the tracking is working either once in game.

This looks like it could be super fun if I can get it to work, maybe it is because it is just a demo version of FSX. :?

Change your in-game resolution. I had that problem until I switched to 1280x1080p. Sometimes switching from window to full-screen mode helps as well; try ALT-ENTER to switch between the modes.

space123321
Explorer
I experience the same issue - squished image at the top of the screen. I was able to correct this a few times by esc out of flight however immediately going back to flight. When I do get the rift dual images to work, my landscape is totally broken consisting of garbage lines. My cockpit is in tact however nothing outside of the aircraft is not.

The other thing that I question - "shift o" turns on mouse view - I am hoping that the rift tracker can be married to this as this would simply be a dream come true lol!

Also - the one time I had fsx menu up and running, the rift was controlling my mouse cursor.

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
"space123321" wrote:
I experience the same issue - squished image at the top of the screen. I was able to correct this a few times by esc out of flight however immediately going back to flight. When I do get the rift dual images to work, my landscape is totally broken consisting of garbage lines. My cockpit is in tact however nothing outside of the aircraft is not.

The other thing that I question - "shift o" turns on mouse view - I am hoping that the rift tracker can be married to this as this would simply be a dream come true lol!

Also - the one time I had fsx menu up and running, the rift was controlling my mouse cursor.

Not too sure if I can be too helpful -- setting it up was a bit of a miss and go for me. Just make sure you have your screen resolution set correctly.

I don't understand why you need the mouse view turned on; the rift is already tracking with the facetracknoir interface i.e I'm getting full head motion views 360 degrees by turning my head.