New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Should a Facebook Account be "optional" to use Oculus VR?

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,834 Valuable Player
    Yes, linking a Facebook Account should be purely optional.
    The "Boiling Frog" situation has been continuous from 2015 - and those with very strong views (one way or the other) have already left the forum, and many who remain are laid back to the situation and take what they are given. Agreed stronger views are being voiced (funny enough) on the Facebook dev forums but that was also to be expected. I think with the announcement of "Facebook Connect 7" the mold has been broken and we can see Oculus as a brand from this point on - now joining the Facebook Reality Lab forum to see what developments are being made in MR!
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,718 Valuable Player
    Should always be an option - makes good business sense, i think. Why force it and lose customers that would otherwise be quite happy using an FB product?

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    IMO, if they had just kept it to "you need to sign in with Facebook to use Venue and Horizon" that probably wouldn't have caused anywhere near as much rage, while still getting a great number of people to link their FB account.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,959 Valuable Player
    edited August 26
    Pixie40 said:
    IMO, if they had just kept it to "you need to sign in with Facebook to use Venue and Horizon" that probably wouldn't have caused anywhere near as much rage, while still getting a great number of people to link their FB account.

This would have been totally fine because Horizons is a social app. Requiring a social media account to play all games and apps is just plain ridiculous and will cost Facebook a fair few customers. What are they going to do if it all goes pair shaped and they lose lots of customers? 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,834 Valuable Player
    Pixie40 said:

The road map they are working too - that would never have been a option.
    It's "go large or go home" - and Facebook is on a tight timetable regarding the establishment of their aspirations for immersive social media. The news of Apple's planned launch schedule has bumped Facebook up - so even though they have not launched their new MR platform they need to ensure the ecosystem is established. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cmat100cmat100 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Not sure what to read into this but here goes - There have been a lot of views for this thread.   I know there's lies, damn lies and then there are statistics - The "Facebook account" megathread has apx 7 views per comment.  This one has apx 20.  Who's looking? :)
  • Icepick869Icepick869 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    cmat100 said:
    Not sure what to read into this but here goes - There have been a lot of views for this thread.   I know there's lies, damn lies and then there are statistics - The "Facebook account" megathread has apx 7 views per comment.  This one has apx 20.  Who's looking? :)
    Apparently not Facebook! lol
  • MradrMradr Posts: 4,178 Valuable Player
    edited August 26
    kevinw729 said:
    Pixie40 said:

The road map they are working too - that would never have been a option.
    It's "go large or go home" - and Facebook is on a tight timetable regarding the establishment of their aspirations for immersive social media. The news of Apple's planned launch schedule has bumped Facebook up - so even though they have not launched their new MR platform they need to ensure the ecosystem is established. 
    I had the same thought + the other threats of Samsung and many other bigger players looking into getting into VR now. Software even is looking to be more cross compatible making the need for purchase software from Oculus even a less of a thing as the software would just work like if it purchase from them or not. This means they have to "wall" it off in a different way going forward and I think the FB account is they way to make it its a bit tighter to them by allowing "extra" features that dont really require a FB account - but something they can entice other software devs to use.

Pixie40 said:
    In all honestly - I would've never spoken a single word if that was the case. I thought it was until I read more. I really thought at the start it was just a "push" to get people into the idea of using FB more and thought people were just crazy over something "small". Of course I read more and more to figure out what was really going on... so I had to speak up. But its like anything else - give them an inch they will take your legs. Have to stand up somewhere in some places even if you lose out - at least you did your best to voice your opinion on the matter than just to lay down like its ok.
    Neo
    I'd already linked my FB account (which I'd been surprised to discover earlier this year still existed) so I could use Venue. I don't actually use facebook, and haven't since 2014 when I originally told them to delete my account. Obviously they never deleted it. The change over doesn't really affect me, even though I think it's a horrible move.

I really do think people should actually read the Privacy Policies of the competitors before unilaterally deciding to jump ship though. One should have all the information before making such a decision.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,735 Valuable Player
    Who cares. Data privacy is a myth. Resistance is futile.
    those with very strong views (one way or the other) have already left the forum

From my observations, this doesn't seem to be true. Those with very strong views tend to stick around waiting/hoping for that moment where their strong views are finally validated. In many cases, these pundits stick around in this "wait and see" state for years. Most literally.

Those with strong views want to see Oculus fail, or see the Oculus community express discontent. As all of that lends to their self-validation needs. Thus, moments like this - the FB Account Linking - are prime target moments for the anti crowd.

But as always, the self-validation will be short-lived. Facebook and Oculus will continue to thrive. The Oculus VR community will continue to remain at the forefront. And those with strong views will once remain here... waiting to see when their next moments may arrive anew.

Pixie40 said:
    I really do think people should actually read the Privacy Policies of the competitors before unilaterally deciding to jump ship though. One should have all the information before making such a decision.

People don't even do any of that when making posts on this forum lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Neo
    Zenbane said:

Pixie40 said:

People don't even do any of that when making posts on this forum lol

I know, thus my campaign of "read the freaking manual" I've been going on all night. Not to make Facebook look better, but to educate people that Facebook is not the Great Evil, they are the Standard Practice that's being used by the industry as a sacrificial lamb.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,159 Valuable Player
    Still though I do not want my Facebook/Oculus VR device dependent on using a Facebook Social Media account. I have no desire to use my Oculus headset for social media applications.
    I would heap rather that be an option than a requirement. I do get why FB is doing this though. 
    Should they introduce a new headset whether it be Quest or Rift, that would probably be a big deciding factor for me whether I get one or not.

I had hoped when I get my Reverb G2 I would also still have an Oculus device in case I wanted to use it from time to time. And sounds like long as I remain with just the Rift S and Quest I will for a while. But a new device from Oculus? Probably not likely , unless they really blow me away with what they have to offer.
    I am primarily a flight sim guy though and anticipate the Reverb G2 will get the bulk of my time. Won't know till I have it though, I may sing a different tune then,

I am looking forward to FC7 though. I hope they surprise me.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I think VR needs more people who are social. This whole idea that VR is only about gaming, and targeting those who rather engage in Single-Player experiences is self-defeating for VR as both a platform and industry. If VR remains a gaming platform, then it will take decades for it to thrive; as it cannot compete with the onslaught of Mobile Games and existing AAA titles across standard vanilla PC and Console.

Facebook and Oculus have been showcasing their future ideas for VR for years. With videos about how it will change the way people interact and work.

Facebook never once said that they bought Oculus in order to... dominate the video game space. Just because this first phase of VR attracted gamers doesn't mean that VR is limited to gamers, or should continue catering to gamers.

It's time for VR to grow up, and put the big boy pants on! Those pants don't fit everyone.
     :) 
  • NemaynNemayn Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    I think VR needs more people who are social. This whole idea that VR is only about gaming, and targeting those who rather engage in Single-Player experiences is self-defeating for VR as both a platform and industry. If VR remains a gaming platform, then it will take decades for it to thrive; as it cannot compete with the onslaught of Mobile Games and existing AAA titles across standard vanilla PC and Console.

Facebook and Oculus have been showcasing their future ideas for VR for years. With videos about how it will change the way people interact and work.

Facebook never once said that they bought Oculus in order to... dominate the video game space. Just because this first phase of VR attracted gamers doesn't mean that VR is limited to gamers, or should continue catering to gamers.

It's time for VR to grow up, and put the big boy pants on! Those pants don't fit everyone.
    There are plenty of good social vr experiences around, VRChat, pokerstars VR etc etc . They just aren't made by facebook and frankly give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week.
    Nemayn said:
    Zenbane said:

There are plenty of good social vr experiences around, VRChat, pokerstars VR etc etc . They just aren't made by facebook and frankly give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week.

Apparently not THIS day of the week, because here you are actively engaging in a Social Experience on the Official Oculus forum, which is 100% Oculus and Gatekept by Zuckerberg.

As I've said before, this is why Facebook can make these decisions with confidence. Because people will accept it anyway. Some accept it with a reasonable approach, others accept it with anger. Acceptance, however, seems inevitable.
     >:) 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,836 Valuable Player
    Let's see if we can get some more votes - this is an interesting topic - I took the liberty to address more Oculus VR users (also since few may read our posts in here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ih1gfk/poll_from_the_official_oculus_forum_should_a/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited August 26
    The poll for a Facebook account being optional has gained another 7 votes since this morning when it was stood at 78. The other votes have remained the same.
  • NemaynNemayn Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    Nemayn said:
    Zenbane said:

Apparently not THIS day of the week, because here you are actively engaging in a Social Experience on the Official Oculus forum, which is 100% Oculus and Gatekept by Zuckerberg.

As I've said before, this is why Facebook can make these decisions with confidence. Because people will accept it anyway. Some accept it with a reasonable approach, others accept it with anger. Acceptance, however, seems inevitable.
    So what that I post on this forum and its run by facebook? Pure whataboutery which is what I expect from the facebook white knight. You notice I don't post often on this forum and only came to voice my disdain for this facebook move. I indulge in a lot of social experience. Posting here on something that ultimately is controlled by facebook makes up about 0.0000000001% of my social stuff.

Mostly I choose to abstain from things like twitter, facebook, instagram, tiktok, youtube, google. Purely no interest. If you don't have the imagination to find other social media and instead wish to be a zuckerberg flunky can only feel sorry for you
    RuneSR2 said:
    Let's see if we can get some more votes - this is an interesting topic - I took the liberty to address more Oculus VR users (also since few may read our posts in here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ih1gfk/poll_from_the_official_oculus_forum_should_a/
    Thanks for the feedback @Zenbane - I was close to deleting my Reddit post, does feel like exposing our secret little society - but then again, this is about Oculus - and Facebook - and things we love and care about. Personally I'd like the work and efforts we're doing in here to have better impact.

Well, maybe the post will just get downvoted and I'll take the negative karma on my shoulders, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited August 26
    RedRizla said:
    The poll for a Facebook account being optional has gained another 7 votes since this morning when it was stood at 78. The other votes have remained the same.
    Goes to show good old Mradr is not crazy - yet - xD People were coming here to say it should be optional. I was told that wasnt the case by someone in this thread:) zcoughcoughcoughe
    edited August 26
    Nemayn said:
    Zenbane said:
    Nemayn said:
    Zenbane said:

So what that I post on this forum and its run by facebook? 

I see nothing wrong with such activity for most people... but clearly, doing so is contradictory when the person engaging in a social experience run by Oculus and Facebook also says this, "give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week."

I am  merely pointing out the blatantly obvious contradiction.
    Neo
    I've farted around in VR Chat, as well as Altspace VR and Rec Room. If those are the ambassadors and central goal of VR social interaction, I'd be checking out of that hotel immediately. They're dominated, from what I've experienced, by whiny bratty children who do nothing but beg and complain loudly. That, or try to molest everyone they see in VR. And I'm not using 'children' as a euphorism. I mean "13, probably younger".
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for the feedback @Zenbane - I was close to deleting my Reddit post, does feel like exposing our secret little society - but then again, this is about Oculus - and Facebook - and things we love and care about. Personally I'd like the work and efforts we're doing in here to have better impact.

Well, maybe the post will just get downvoted and I'll take the negative karma on my shoulders, lol. 

I never have a problem going more public with either myself or this lovely community. To me, we are all on a public stage anyway by being an open-community. Sometimes our threads (including many of yours) end up at the top of Google search result pages!

Taking on the entirety of the Internet is totally my jam.
     :p 
    Neo
    Zenbane said:

Taking on the entirety of the Internet is totally my jam.
     :p 

You have weird tastes in food. I much prefer strawberry preserves as my jam.
    edited August 26
    Nothing wrong with taking on the internet for sure! That is what the group of mradrs are all about! Use that "voice" of yours and discuss what needs to change. Share knowledge and have fun!
    edited August 26
    Pixie40 said:
    I've farted around in VR Chat, as well as Altspace VR and Rec Room. If those are the ambassadors and central goal of VR social interaction, I'd be checking out of that hotel immediately. They're dominated, from what I've experienced, by whiny bratty children who do nothing but beg and complain loudly. That, or try to molest everyone they see in VR. And I'm not using 'children' as a euphorism. I mean "13, probably younger".

I have to say a lot of my social experiences in VR have been very similar, and that's why I mostly stick to single player VR games. I find that it's not only kids being a pain at times, but also adults in some instances. I have played with people who I know in real life online and listening to them change character online like other people do was enough to make me give it up.

It will be interesting to see what Horizons does differently to the rest of these social experiences.

Neo
    Hopefully not appeal to the bratty kids :) Venue so far has connected me with people I'd actually want to talk with. So has sitting down to watch Doctor Who in Big Screen. The lobby though, avoid it at all costs.
    Multiplayer experiences are great with friends. I enjoyed some multiplayer gaming with members of this forum. And I have my IRL group that is always up for some FPS goodness.

But yeah, if you don't have real life friends who play the same games as you, then gaming is likely a one-man show. Learn how to make more friends, people!
    So there are 1500 online Oculus SubReddit users right now  - and my post is now 60 minutes old - not even 1 vote has been added the last hour - seems to confirm that this forum and Oculus SubReddit are like two completely separate entities ... can't mix oil and water? ... I'd love to be wrong.