cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a Facebook Account be "optional" to use Oculus VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think we all know how the voting will end with this question. But it may be good to give some visual statistics to Facebook and Oculus, considering the amount of complaints against this latest Account Login update.

So... should users who purchase Oculus VR products be required to sign up to Facebook? Or should Oculus accounts continue to be handled separately, with Facebook accounts remaining purely optional?
109 REPLIES 109

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
I'd already linked my FB account (which I'd been surprised to discover earlier this year still existed) so I could use Venue. I don't actually use facebook, and haven't since 2014 when I originally told them to delete my account. Obviously they never deleted it. The change over doesn't really affect me, even though I think it's a horrible move.

I really do think people should actually read the Privacy Policies of the competitors before unilaterally deciding to jump ship though. One should have all the information before making such a decision.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

those with very strong views (one way or the other) have already left the forum

From my observations, this doesn't seem to be true. Those with very strong views tend to stick around waiting/hoping for that moment where their strong views are finally validated. In many cases, these pundits stick around in this "wait and see" state for years. Most literally.

Those with strong views want to see Oculus fail, or see the Oculus community express discontent. As all of that lends to their self-validation needs. Thus, moments like this - the FB Account Linking - are prime target moments for the anti crowd.

But as always, the self-validation will be short-lived. Facebook and Oculus will continue to thrive. The Oculus VR community will continue to remain at the forefront. And those with strong views will once remain here... waiting to see when their next moments may arrive anew.

Pixie40 said:
I really do think people should actually read the Privacy Policies of the competitors before unilaterally deciding to jump ship though. One should have all the information before making such a decision.

People don't even do any of that when making posts on this forum lol

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Pixie40 said:

People don't even do any of that when making posts on this forum lol

I know, thus my campaign of "read the freaking manual" I've been going on all night. Not to make Facebook look better, but to educate people that Facebook is not the Great Evil, they are the Standard Practice that's being used by the industry as a sacrificial lamb.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still though I do not want my Facebook/Oculus VR device dependent on using a Facebook Social Media account. I have no desire to use my Oculus headset for social media applications.
I would heap rather that be an option than a requirement. I do get why FB is doing this though. 
Should they introduce a new headset whether it be Quest or Rift, that would probably be a big deciding factor for me whether I get one or not.

I had hoped when I get my Reverb G2 I would also still have an Oculus device in case I wanted to use it from time to time. And sounds like long as I remain with just the Rift S and Quest I will for a while. But a new device from Oculus? Probably not likely , unless they really blow me away with what they have to offer.
I am primarily a flight sim guy though and anticipate the Reverb G2 will get the bulk of my time. Won't know till I have it though, I may sing a different tune then,

I am looking forward to FC7 though. I hope they surprise me.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think VR needs more people who are social. This whole idea that VR is only about gaming, and targeting those who rather engage in Single-Player experiences is self-defeating for VR as both a platform and industry. If VR remains a gaming platform, then it will take decades for it to thrive; as it cannot compete with the onslaught of Mobile Games and existing AAA titles across standard vanilla PC and Console.

Facebook and Oculus have been showcasing their future ideas for VR for years. With videos about how it will change the way people interact and work.

Facebook never once said that they bought Oculus in order to... dominate the video game space. Just because this first phase of VR attracted gamers doesn't mean that VR is limited to gamers, or should continue catering to gamers.

It's time for VR to grow up, and put the big boy pants on! Those pants don't fit everyone.
 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

I think VR needs more people who are social. This whole idea that VR is only about gaming, and targeting those who rather engage in Single-Player experiences is self-defeating for VR as both a platform and industry. If VR remains a gaming platform, then it will take decades for it to thrive; as it cannot compete with the onslaught of Mobile Games and existing AAA titles across standard vanilla PC and Console.

Facebook and Oculus have been showcasing their future ideas for VR for years. With videos about how it will change the way people interact and work.

Facebook never once said that they bought Oculus in order to... dominate the video game space. Just because this first phase of VR attracted gamers doesn't mean that VR is limited to gamers, or should continue catering to gamers.

It's time for VR to grow up, and put the big boy pants on! Those pants don't fit everyone.
 🙂 

There are plenty of good social vr experiences around, VRChat, pokerstars VR etc etc . They just aren't made by facebook and frankly give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nemayn said:

Zenbane said:

🙂 

There are plenty of good social vr experiences around, VRChat, pokerstars VR etc etc . They just aren't made by facebook and frankly give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week.

Apparently not THIS day of the week, because here you are actively engaging in a Social Experience on the Official Oculus forum, which is 100% Oculus and Gatekept by Zuckerberg.

As I've said before, this is why Facebook can make these decisions with confidence. Because people will accept it anyway. Some accept it with a reasonable approach, others accept it with anger. Acceptance, however, seems inevitable.
 >:) 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Let's see if we can get some more votes - this is an interesting topic - I took the liberty to address more Oculus VR users (also since few may read our posts in here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ih1gfk/poll_from_the_official_oculus_forum_should_a/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The poll for a Facebook account being optional has gained another 7 votes since this morning when it was stood at 78. The other votes have remained the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Nemayn said:

Zenbane said:

🙂 

Apparently not THIS day of the week, because here you are actively engaging in a Social Experience on the Official Oculus forum, which is 100% Oculus and Gatekept by Zuckerberg.

As I've said before, this is why Facebook can make these decisions with confidence. Because people will accept it anyway. Some accept it with a reasonable approach, others accept it with anger. Acceptance, however, seems inevitable.
 >:) 

So what that I post on this forum and its run by facebook? Pure whataboutery which is what I expect from the facebook white knight. You notice I don't post often on this forum and only came to voice my disdain for this facebook move. I indulge in a lot of social experience. Posting here on something that ultimately is controlled by facebook makes up about 0.0000000001% of my social stuff.

Mostly I choose to abstain from things like twitter, facebook, instagram, tiktok, youtube, google. Purely no interest. If you don't have the imagination to find other social media and instead wish to be a zuckerberg flunky can only feel sorry for you