cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a Facebook Account be "optional" to use Oculus VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think we all know how the voting will end with this question. But it may be good to give some visual statistics to Facebook and Oculus, considering the amount of complaints against this latest Account Login update.

So... should users who purchase Oculus VR products be required to sign up to Facebook? Or should Oculus accounts continue to be handled separately, with Facebook accounts remaining purely optional?
109 REPLIES 109

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Let's see if we can get some more votes - this is an interesting topic - I took the liberty to address more Oculus VR users (also since few may read our posts in here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ih1gfk/poll_from_the_official_oculus_forum_should_a/

Thanks for the feedback @Zenbane - I was close to deleting my Reddit post, does feel like exposing our secret little society - but then again, this is about Oculus - and Facebook - and things we love and care about. Personally I'd like the work and efforts we're doing in here to have better impact.

Well, maybe the post will just get downvoted and I'll take the negative karma on my shoulders, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

The poll for a Facebook account being optional has gained another 7 votes since this morning when it was stood at 78. The other votes have remained the same.

Goes to show good old Mradr is not crazy - yet - xD People were coming here to say it should be optional. I was told that wasnt the case by someone in this thread:) zcoughcoughcoughe

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nemayn said:

Zenbane said:

Nemayn said:

Zenbane said:

I think VR needs more people who are social. This whole idea that VR is only about gaming, and targeting those who rather engage in Single-Player experiences is self-defeating for VR as both a platform and industry. If VR remains a gaming platform, then it will take decades for it to thrive; as it cannot compete with the onslaught of Mobile Games and existing AAA titles across standard vanilla PC and Console.

Facebook and Oculus have been showcasing their future ideas for VR for years. With videos about how it will change the way people interact and work.

Facebook never once said that they bought Oculus in order to... dominate the video game space. Just because this first phase of VR attracted gamers doesn't mean that VR is limited to gamers, or should continue catering to gamers.

It's time for VR to grow up, and put the big boy pants on! Those pants don't fit everyone.
 🙂 

There are plenty of good social vr experiences around, VRChat, pokerstars VR etc etc . They just aren't made by facebook and frankly give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week.

Apparently not THIS day of the week, because here you are actively engaging in a Social Experience on the Official Oculus forum, which is 100% Oculus and Gatekept by Zuckerberg.

As I've said before, this is why Facebook can make these decisions with confidence. Because people will accept it anyway. Some accept it with a reasonable approach, others accept it with anger. Acceptance, however, seems inevitable.
 >:) 

So what that I post on this forum and its run by facebook? 

I see nothing wrong with such activity for most people... but clearly, doing so is contradictory when the person engaging in a social experience run by Oculus and Facebook also says this, "give me a social experience that isn't oculus only or gatekept by Zuckerberg any day of the week."

I am  merely pointing out the blatantly obvious contradiction.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
I've farted around in VR Chat, as well as Altspace VR and Rec Room. If those are the ambassadors and central goal of VR social interaction, I'd be checking out of that hotel immediately. They're dominated, from what I've experienced, by whiny bratty children who do nothing but beg and complain loudly. That, or try to molest everyone they see in VR. And I'm not using 'children' as a euphorism. I mean "13, probably younger".
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Let's see if we can get some more votes - this is an interesting topic - I took the liberty to address more Oculus VR users (also since few may read our posts in here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ih1gfk/poll_from_the_official_oculus_forum_should_a/

Thanks for the feedback @Zenbane - I was close to deleting my Reddit post, does feel like exposing our secret little society - but then again, this is about Oculus - and Facebook - and things we love and care about. Personally I'd like the work and efforts we're doing in here to have better impact.

Well, maybe the post will just get downvoted and I'll take the negative karma on my shoulders, lol. 

I never have a problem going more public with either myself or this lovely community. To me, we are all on a public stage anyway by being an open-community. Sometimes our threads (including many of yours) end up at the top of Google search result pages!
 🙂 

Taking on the entirety of the Internet is totally my jam.
 😛 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Taking on the entirety of the Internet is totally my jam.
 😛 

You have weird tastes in food. I much prefer strawberry preserves as my jam.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing wrong with taking on the internet for sure! That is what the group of mradrs are all about! Use that "voice" of yours and discuss what needs to change. Share knowledge and have fun!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Pixie40 said:

I've farted around in VR Chat, as well as Altspace VR and Rec Room. If those are the ambassadors and central goal of VR social interaction, I'd be checking out of that hotel immediately. They're dominated, from what I've experienced, by whiny bratty children who do nothing but beg and complain loudly. That, or try to molest everyone they see in VR. And I'm not using 'children' as a euphorism. I mean "13, probably younger".

I have to say a lot of my social experiences in VR have been very similar, and that's why I mostly stick to single player VR games. I find that it's not only kids being a pain at times, but also adults in some instances. I have played with people who I know in real life online and listening to them change character online like other people do was enough to make me give it up.

It will be interesting to see what Horizons does differently to the rest of these social experiences.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Hopefully not appeal to the bratty kids 🙂 Venue so far has connected me with people I'd actually want to talk with. So has sitting down to watch Doctor Who in Big Screen. The lobby though, avoid it at all costs.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Multiplayer experiences are great with friends. I enjoyed some multiplayer gaming with members of this forum. And I have my IRL group that is always up for some FPS goodness.

But yeah, if you don't have real life friends who play the same games as you, then gaming is likely a one-man show. Learn how to make more friends, people!
 🙂