cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a Facebook Account be "optional" to use Oculus VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think we all know how the voting will end with this question. But it may be good to give some visual statistics to Facebook and Oculus, considering the amount of complaints against this latest Account Login update.

So... should users who purchase Oculus VR products be required to sign up to Facebook? Or should Oculus accounts continue to be handled separately, with Facebook accounts remaining purely optional?
109 REPLIES 109

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So there are 1500 online Oculus SubReddit users right now  - and my post is now 60 minutes old - not even 1 vote has been added the last hour - seems to confirm that this forum and Oculus SubReddit are like two completely separate entities ... can't mix oil and water? ... I'd love to be wrong.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Or, most can't be bothered to care. Which is pretty standard. Got to wonder how many people have been lurking here, watching the same 5-8 people going round and round all night and all morning and thinking "Geez, give it a rest already". Speaking of which... Holy carp, it's NOON?! I really should get to bed... twelve hours ago.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
redditors consider themselves a unique group due to how reddit works in general. It's similar to how the original "elite group" worked, the Something Awful Forums.

I wouldn't expect too much cross-traffic unless someone over there gets bored lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Pixie40 said:

Or, most can't be bothered to care. Which is pretty standard. Got to wonder how many people have been lurking here, watching the same 5-8 people going round and round all night and all morning and thinking "Geez, give it a rest already". Speaking of which... Holy carp, it's NOON?! I really should get to bed... twelve hours ago.

I often force myself to close to forum web page - or suddenly all the day/evening has gone ... And we know that all forum and no VR makes Jack a dull boy 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

So there are 1500 online Oculus SubReddit users right now  - and my post is now 60 minutes old - not even 1 vote has been added the last hour - seems to confirm that this forum and Oculus SubReddit are like two completely separate entities ... can't mix oil and water? ... I'd love to be wrong.  

Do they have to login to this forum with the Oculus account they use to play their games? Also remember trying to login to these forums is a nightmare. I always have to login by right clicking on the sign in now and copying copy link address. I then have to paste that in the address bar and keep copying and pasting it until I get a Capucha.

The forum login had been broken for how long now? I've mentioned it on lots of occasions so maybe Oculus want it to be hard for people to login 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

Do they have to login to this forum with the Oculus account they use to play their games? Also remember trying to login to these forums is a nightmare. I always have to login by right clicking on the sign in now and copying copy link address. I then have to paste that in the address bar and keep copying and pasting it until I get a Capucha.

The forum login had been broken for how long now? I've mentioned it on lots of occasions so maybe Oculus want it to be hard for people to login 😄

Not everyone has these problems. I log in with a username and password. Then I click a button.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

Not everyone has these problems. I log in with a username and password. Then I click a button.

Yeah I know it's not everyone, but I'm not sure what's different about the browsers I use and other people's. I can't login with Chrome, FireFox or Opera without doing what I've explained. I could explain it if it was just one computer, but it does it on the works computer and 3 other computers I use.

I do recall you saying you had some problems logging in at one time though if I'm correct.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
I do recall you saying you had some problems logging in at one time though if I'm correct.

Happens about once or twice a year, and only briefly. Seems to be related to how Vanilla forums work in general though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

Fully agree, this forum's software is abysmal.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

"this forum's software is abysmal."
- Post number 3864 successfully posted from this forum's software