New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Holiday 2020: Rhythm of the Universe: IONIA - Announcement Trailer

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,844 Valuable Player
edited August 26 in Games and Apps
Looks interesting and potentially very awesome:

More info:

https://www.rotu.com/

https://uploadvr.com/rhythm-of-the-universe-quest/

IONIA™ is a single-player VR fantasy-adventure puzzle game built to push the limits of PC VR. In this game, you’ll get up close with unique creatures, solve puzzles as you explore ancient ruins, and use music-based magic on your quest to save the Harpa, a mythical creature whose habitat is on the brink of destruction.

-- SAVE THE HARPA

The Harpa is the heart and soul of the Ionian forest. With every tree felled and burned by the approaching Tritone army, her spirit weakens. You and your sister Allegra are Ionia’s brave new heroes, embarking on a quest to heal this mythical creature with the power of music before it’s too late. As you follow Allegra on her journey to save the Harpa, you’ll soon discover that your every action has an impact on the world around you.

Music & Magic Awaits

This storyliving VR game is a stunning visual and auditory escape that allows you to interact with unique creatures, characters, and plant life. Hear the call of the mighty Brassaurus, ride on the back of a giant tortoise along an underground river, and solve musical puzzles that unlock even more for you to explore.

Explore Ionia

Inspired by music mythology, Ionia is a fantasy world brimming with interactive plant and animal life. Find and forage food for glowing Ocarinas, see breathtaking vistas as you zipline through wide canyons, climb winding vines in the canopy of ancient trees, and bask in the bioluminescent glow from the depths of a watery cave. The world of Ionia will surround you.

Play With Purpose

While you will be able to use music-based magic to help save creatures inside the game, every purchase will also benefit real-world wildlife, with a portion of proceeds going directly to nonprofits that combat climate change.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,844 Valuable Player
    Hmmm, strange that not many seem to care about this game in here, Index users seem to love the trailer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/igwet9/holiday_2020_for_the_index_rhythm_of_the_universe/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    That looks amazing, but I'll never play it. I can't read sheet music, and don't have a ear for tonal pitch. This game would be a horrible fit for me. I already struggle any time a puzzle game throws in a music based puzzle.
    Pixie40 said:
    That looks amazing, but I'll never play it. I can't read sheet music, and don't have a ear for tonal pitch. This game would be a horrible fit for me. I already struggle any time a puzzle game throws in a music based puzzle.

Agreed the music part is a turn-off for me too, but I don't mind trying to expand my comfort zone, lol. I'm more worried about system requirements, if the game really fits the trailer then the game looks extremely demanding - could work as a RTX 3080 commercial... 

edited September 12

RuneSR2 said:
    - and the demo does not work with Index yet, but requires Rift or Vive. I could start the game, just couldn't move.
    Again this game looks like made for oled, I was not fond of the lcd black levels nor colors, but everything will probably look totally awesome using CV1. 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,754 Valuable Player
    edited September 13
    I missed when this was first posted. Looks great! And I love music puzzles. There is one in FORM that is fun as hell. And of course, Myst has a sound puzzle too that is iconic.

I'll be checking out the demo asap. Thanks for bumping this!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,841 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    - and the demo does not work with Index yet, but requires Rift or Vive. I could start the game, just couldn't move.
    Again this game looks like made for oled, I was not fond of the lcd black levels nor colors, but everything will probably look totally awesome using CV1. 
    Ya, I downloaded the demo (8.5Gb) and it looks great with both my Vive Pro and Rift cv1.  Blacks, colors, and textures are pretty impressive.  So you may be right about 'made for oled' mate.  Visually it looked good on both of my headsets.  Maybe slightly better clarity with my Vive Pro, but there's not much in it.

I have not gotten very far.  I don't seem to be able to find things I need to do in chapter 1 (like get the elevator to work again).  I'll probably need some walk-through help, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Ya, I downloaded the demo (8.5Gb) and it looks great with both my Vive Pro and Rift cv1.  Blacks, colors, and textures are pretty impressive.  So you may be right about 'made for oled' mate.  Visually it looked good on both of my headsets.  Maybe slightly better clarity with my Vive Pro, but there's not much in it.

I have not gotten very far.  I don't seem to be able to find things I need to do in chapter 1 (like get the elevator to work again).  I'll probably need some walk-through help, lol!
    Sign, do I really - for the first time - need to unplug Index to get CV1 working in SteamVR... Would love to to see Alyx too ... so hard to ... resist ...  :D 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,754 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    do I really - for the first time - need to unplug Index to get CV1 working in SteamVR... Would love to to see Alyx too ... so hard to ... resist ...  :D 

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited September 13
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    do I really - for the first time - need to unplug Index to get CV1 working in SteamVR... Would love to to see Alyx too ... so hard to ... resist ...  :D 

Didn't need to - asked the devs and got confirmed that they support native Oculus drivers - and it worked perfectly starting the demo from Oculus Home  o:)

I just completed the demo and was very impressed. I've rarely seen such awesome graphics using Rift CV1. Try to get really close to the green girl, not sure even Olivia looked better (ok, she did, but I'm talking about fine skin details here, ;)) I did use ss 2.0 and my performance was down to 22.5 fps, lol - but normally more close to 30 or 45 fps - ASW 2.0 was needed like never before  B)

This game shows the true power of oled, the magic was close to totally gone with lcd, but CV1 was just awesome. Ok, might have to lower ss or get a RTX 3090, but I don't worry that much about performance, I just want to be there - inside the world. 

Fun thing knowing you'll need more than a 2080 Ti to get 90 fps using CV1 ss 2 0 in many demanding VR games that some think CV1 is dated. Maybe 3080 and 3090 are exactly what's needed to unleash the full potential of the CV1. And sadly I'm not trying to be funny.

@RuneSR2 nice one mate.  I still cannot find what I need to do in ch1 to get the darn lift working again, lol!  How about a hint?  Also, when climbing I don't always seem to be able to rotate my views so I end up behind walls and things.

Looks great with my cv1 @ 2xSS and asw=off.  I guess between my better gtx1080ti (no OC btw), i9 9900k water cooled with slight 5Ghz OC on all cores, and 750w Gold psu maybe makes a difference, who knows.  Still makes me wonder if an upgrade to a rtx3080/90 is going to be all that worthwhile for me.  I'll wait until I see enough independent reviews/benchmarks with X Plane 11.50 Vulcan VR before jumping in.  That's the only VR app I have that I currently require lower graphics settings than I would like.

Ionia looks very good with my Quest wireless w/VD but unfortunately I cannot get the controllers to work.  I'll let the developer know but unfortunately wireless w/VD is not always compatible with all Steam and Oculus store games.  Too bad since wireless seems to help stop me from twisting my Vive Pro and Rift cv1 tethered cables.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

After lots of climbing around and pushing buttons (including notes C G C) I finally got through all the Demo.  Pretty good for me, lol!  Looking forward to the final version of this.

TomCgcmfc said:
    After lots of climbing around and pushing buttons (including notes C G C) I finally got through all the Demo.  Pretty good for me, lol!  Looking forward to the final version of this.
    Nice - did read your post earlier, but got caught up in all the Quest 2 stuff - good to read you solved the climbing puzzle! 

I'm not that fond of the climbing, but the game feels like a great experience - and if it takes some climbing, so be it, lol. 

Just a heads up, the demo has been taken down now and in my case it is no longer playable.  Seems like a funny move for the developer to do.  Maybe there is a good reason for doing this, who knows?

A final version should be out soon.  I’ll probably wait for a few reviews before buying it.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Just a heads up, the demo has been taken down now and in my case it is no longer playable.  Seems like a funny move for the developer to do.  Maybe there is a good reason for doing this, who knows?

A final version should be out soon.  I’ll probably wait for a few reviews before buying it.
    Performance was very bad with the demo - I'm guessing it did not represent final quality and devs may be nervous the demo might scare customers away (leave a bad first impression)… But that's just my best guess - also lcd hmds did not look very good - I recommended that the devs checked the game, especially lighting and textures, thoroughly using lcd hmds like Index, and they responded they would. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,199 Valuable Player
    Oh wow, textures look really nice. I'm not the greatest fan of music puzzles myself but I did enjoy the one in Form like Zen. I'm anxious to play through Form again with a higher res headset. But as far as Ionia, added it to my wishlist.