cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Mark of the Rift (general usability feedback)

RiftXdev
Explorer
Just thought I'd feedback a (sort of) issue I'm having with the development Rift. After extended usage I find that the Rift leaves a deep red mark on the bridge of my nose that takes about an hour or two to go. I don't think I have a particularly large nose, it's no button for sure but not a pinnocio either.

Just general feedback for the ergonomics of the future consumer model. If this was a consumer model I'd be displeased having it leave a mark on my face after use. As it's a devleopment kit this is obviously acceptable. I like to have the thing as close to my eyes as possible without it being painful. Having slightly more space for the bridge of the nose would be a win for me.

With this model I wear the mark like a badge of honor though. My work colleagues must wonder what is up with me when I turn up in the morning with a mark on my nose which then goes but magically reappears just after lunch :roll:
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
6 REPLIES 6

raidho36
Explorer
I have particularry large nose, so the nose bit instantly grinds into my nose. I even had to glue extra foam there.

Welby
Adventurer
Honestly i think that would be great simply to add the same "sponge" that are already used to have more comfort in the other part of oculus. With the same sponge on the "nose section",all will be fine,i think.

I've the same problem too,not the mark on the nose but sometimes isn't very comfortable for ym nose and i haven't a big nose too 😄

jf3000
Honored Guest
Actually modified my rift nose part and added some foam to which I shaped and cut out and stuck on, purely for the time I have been using it that part was most annoying.

RiftXdev
Explorer
I tried a single peice of tissue folded a small number of times to keep it thin and placed that across the bridge of my nose.

All this did was create a larger contact patch for the pressure to act across, so when I took it off I had a large dent on my nose instead of a deep thin one.

The fact is the body of the DK is touching the face already so attaching any form of cushioning to that point will only put more material in the same space and therefore apply more pressure, regardless of what material it is.

The only solution is to wind the Rift further away from the face and avoid contact on the nose, therefore losing in game FOV. That simply isnt going to happen now, is it?
DK1 | DK2

raidho36
Explorer
This is just a design flaw of a DK armature. I'm positive the release version will have larger nose cutout and will have a foam on it.

RiftXdev
Explorer
Yup, that's why it's worn as a badge of honor. You wont see that in the future!
DK1 | DK2