New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Any jobs for a 17-year old?

TheGreenYoutuberTheGreenYoutuber Posts: 22
Brain Burst
edited September 8 in Off-Topic
I'm in Lima, OH. I wanna save up for the Quest and a budget gaming pc. Prefer $10/hr but at this point, I'll accept any job. Will work shady/barely legal jobs.
Edit: Just got hired at Captain D as a cook! I did the math and if I save 25% of my paycheck, I'll be able to buy a quest in 5 months!! Still open to shady/barely legal jobs as a side income.

Answers

• Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Well, you could try getting a job flipping burgers. Good luck on that though. Other then that, maybe a job stocking shelves or something at a local department store. If those don't appeal to you, and you have a setup capable of it, you could try making it big on Youtube or Twitch. But that's going to have an initial cost to set up if you don't already have video capture software, a webcam (not always required), and microphone (again not always required).

Keep in mind that a budget gaming PC is probably not going to be capable of VR. A VR capable PC is likely to set you back quite a bit too. Especially if you get it pre-built.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 369
    Trinity
     I live close to you in Steubenville. When I was your age and the grass was growing the way it is now. I knew there was work. Go knocking on your older neighbors doors if their lawns are a bit scruffy. I guarantee you'll earn $$ 
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,478 Valuable Player
    Check your local grocery store.  I am sure they will hire on a grocery packer/cart guy.
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Right now, I would not recommend going door to door trying to sell lawn care services. You know, due to the pandemic.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,011 Valuable Player
    Pixie40 said:
    Right now, I would not recommend going door to door trying to sell lawn care services. You know, due to the pandemic.

He should be okay if he follows social distancing and wears a mask. So every time he knocks on a door or rings a bell he stands 2m away and cleans the door knocker and doorbell afterwards.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    I haven't seen any signs of the OP, beyond the morning of Aug 29th.  My "conspiracy theory" is that FB did the math and determined he created his linked FB account when he was 11.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,841 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Pixie40 said:

He should be okay if he follows social distancing and wears a mask. So every time he knocks on a door or rings a bell he stands 2m away and cleans the door knocker and doorbell afterwards.
    Showing up with a mask on may even get funds quicker, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Neo
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Showing up with a mask on may even get funds quicker, lol!
    I jokingly told the guard at the bank... "Now I can cross going into a bank, wearing a mask; off of my bucket list!"  He laughed and said... "Just don't be Black when you do it!"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,011 Valuable Player
    That REALLY shouldn't have been a laugh out loud moment lmfao 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Neo
    snowdog said:
    That REALLY shouldn't have been a laugh out loud moment lmfao 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    The guard was Black, so I guess it was ok.  Sorta like only certain people can get away with using a particular word.
  • TheGreenYoutuberTheGreenYoutuber Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    wuzp said:
    I haven't seen any signs of the OP, beyond the morning of Aug 29th.  My "conspiracy theory" is that FB did the math and determined he created his linked FB account when he was 11.

How did you know???
    Neo
    edited September 1
    wuzp said:

How did you know???
    Your Oculus account is linked to your FB account, which says how long you've been a FB user.  That, and because you are soooo in love with your profile handle, your digital footprint is about the size of Texas.
    Brain Burst
    ohgrant said:
     I live close to you in Steubenville. When I was your age and the grass was growing the way it is now. I knew there was work. Go knocking on your older neighbors doors if their lawns are a bit scruffy. I guarantee you'll earn $$ 

I tried that. No one called...
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 330
    Trinity
    Advertise yourself locally online for whatever you can do. Handyman, Gardening etc.
    These days you do not have to run around with flyers etc. 
    Brain Burst
    Advertise yourself locally online for whatever you can do. Handyman, Gardening etc.
    These days you do not have to run around with flyers etc. 

I'm good with technology and fixing stuff. What jobs would you recommend?
    Brain Burst
    wuzp said:
    wuzp said:

How did you know???
    Your Oculus account is linked to your FB account, which says how long you've been a FB user.  That, and because you are soooo in love with your profile handle, your digital footprint is about the size of Texas.

Nah, I just recently made my FB account. What's wrong with my profile handle?