cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some (Worrying) Horizon Rules

Having seen the videos for Horizon, i've got to say i'm a little disappointed - I don't think it's what i'm after so it's unlikely i'll use it - not a problem.  Facebook laid out these observation and moderation tools in a “Horizon Safety Video” and explained them in further detail in an interview with Road to VR.

First, all the users in Horizon are involuntarily recording each other. The last few minutes of everything that users see and hear is recorded on a rolling basis. Facebook says this recording is stored on the headset itself, unless one user reports another, at which point the recording may be sent to Facebook to check for rule violations. The company says that the recording will be deleted once the report is concluded.

Second, anyone you interact with can invite an invisible observer from Facebook to come surveil you and your conversations in real-time to make sure you don’t break any rules. The company says this can happen when one user reports another or when other “signals” are detected, such as several players blocking or muting each other in quick succession. Users will not be notified when they’re being watched.

And third, everything you say, do, and build in Horizon is subject to Facebook's Community Standards.  So while in a public space you’re free to talk about anything you want, in Horizon there a many perfectly legal topics that you can’t discuss without fear of punitive action being taken against your account.

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-horizon-privacy-monitoring-moderation/

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I feel good about Big Brother listening in. Will hopefully stop ******** from grooming potential victims, or at least catch them at it when they try it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
I have seen many people sharing thoughts and opinions about things they know they won't use or buy in this forum. So I'm no different to anyone else.

I never said you were different to anyone else. I was just responding to you saying this, "I won't be using it myself because it's not my thing."

Although for the record, I rarely spend time giving opinions about things I haven't used or intend not to use. That's not really my thing.

That's all irrelevant though. We were talking about Horizon's recordings + live monitoring.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Moderators probably on cue when key words are ushered. Voice recognition can pick these up and a human mod can investigate without the participants knowing. I guess this really helps if people choose to be racist for example or plotting a terrorist attack. The other tools also are helpful for those being bullied or sexually assaulted verbally. Those on the receiving end can call up the moderator and the person caught in the act and IP banned whatever. 

That said, the element of fear might just be enough once this knowledge becomes widespread then it kind of polices itself. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I wonder if it would just be Horizons you were banned from, or if it would extend to your Facebook account for the Oculus Quest. I'm thinking it would be just from Horizons.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Facebook typically issues Warnings first, then temporary bans.

A full ban, even at the IP level, would take a lot of deliberate malintent.

But who is going to spend all that money on a piece of hardware just to get themselves locked out of using it? I'm sure there are some that have no problem wasting money this way, but they will be in the extreme minority.

I wonder how many of the consumers who believe all the "doom and gloom" hype are actually planning to use Horizons. My perception is that most of the 'negative predictions' come from consumers that have no interest in Oculus, Facebook, or Horizons.

Consumers typically need to convince themselves that another product/service is "bad" to avoid any buyer's remorse.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

I wonder if it would just be Horizons you were banned from, or if it would extend to your Facebook account for the Oculus Quest. I'm thinking it would be just from Horizons.

A good point - and many forums are discussing that at the moment. The consensus is that the FB warning would be reflected across your services. But it will be a long learning process and mistakes will obviously be made. The debate seems more on what will happen to ReVIVE and content owned by the account if problems happen. The big one is modded content in particular explaining possibly why the modding of Beat Saber was curtailed. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well now here's something that is actually factual. Granted, this is how all party systems work, but I imagine a lot of newbies won't realize this at first...

dog6gnz594v5.jpg

Luciferous
Consultant
Some good points made, I’ll probably give it’ a go. 

I was wondering if it’s a persistent world? Does your creations only appear when you do?  

I am not a fan of visiting people’s places via a loading screen, it would just be like rooms. Happy for fast travel but it all should be in actual locations. I think they should start building a persistent city. Not really looked at the detail but they need to give people incentive to build.

Imagine the land rush to build near the city centre, that would get people motivated.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kevinw729 said:

RedRizla said:

The debate seems more on what will happen to ReVIVE and content owned by the account if problems happen. The big one is modded content in particular explaining possibly why the modding of Beat Saber was curtailed. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Revive stop working in the not too distant future. If they want you to sign up to a Facebook account to login to Oculus VR headsets and play games, then I can't see how they will continue to allow you to use another VR headset and Revive that wouldn't require a Facebook account. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Agreed @RedRizla - its part of the reason that it does not seem to be a topic coming up at the moment. I think most owners are keeping their powder dry till they see the FC7 presentation, and see the first deployment, then I expect this to be a hot ticket item. Behind the scenes ReVIVE has been a very profitable platform for some developers, and with the door closed on this (including removal from the HL:A community), then thing will take on a brand new dimension. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959