cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.1 ports: graphics card or motherboard

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
I am new to VR and will be using it in my x-plane 11.41 set up.  MY system is OS: Win 10(54 bit). Motherboard:  ASUS Tuf 2390M-Pro. Graphics card:ASUSGefource RTZ 2070. . CPU I9 I am presently running three monitors off of the DP ports on the Graphics card.  The question is: when set up the Rift S, whichUSB port should I use: there is a 3.1 (Gen2 on both th e motherboard and a USB 3.0(?) on the Graphics card.  I''d like to know before I start plugging things in.  Any help you VR experts could give me would be appreciated.  .  :
17 REPLIES 17

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
Sorry. I sometimes type too damn fast...Of course the OSis 64 bit.  I don't think Microsoft even put a 54 bit out....

Richooal
Consultant
I don't think nvidia put out a RTZ either. 😉

Rift S *must* be on a DP.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
You are correct: It is RTX.and EVGA was the brand.  I understand that Rift S using DP, but it also has a USB connector (for power?), My question is where does that get plugged into, given that both the motherboard and the graphic card have 3.0 and 3.1 USB ports.  My present setup also is using three monitors all connected to DP ports on the card.  That leaves the USB port available.  While I can, of course disconnect one of the monitors to free up the DP for Rift, or I can put a DP hub on it and switch it over to the Rift when I want to go VR.  

Richooal
Consultant
Don't know how the hub would sit with the Rift S, here's a pic from oculus about connections...............

fruddukjvjla.jpg

Also I'll tag in a helpful X-Plane user @TomCgcmfc

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
Richoal, thanks for your help.  The image you mention did not come through. 

Richooal
Consultant

The image you mention did not come through. 

I can see it there in the post, it starts.....Your Oculus Rift S uses USB 3.0........etc.

You'll find the info here..........
https://support.oculus.com/1225089714318112/
under the heading "What type of connections does Oculus Rift S need to connect to my computer"

PS, I'd remove the email address if I was you.

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
May I assume that the USB is used to provide power to the headset?

kojack
MVP
MVP

May I assume that the USB is used to provide power to the headset?

The USB connection for the Rift-S is used for power, audio, receiving the 5 camera video feeds for tracking, communicating with the touch controllers (read their inertial tracking and controls and send vibration values) via the wireless receiver in the headset, reading the headset's inertial tracking chip, etc.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
then what does the dp connection do?