cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.1 ports: graphics card or motherboard

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
I am new to VR and will be using it in my x-plane 11.41 set up.  MY system is OS: Win 10(54 bit). Motherboard:  ASUS Tuf 2390M-Pro. Graphics card:ASUSGefource RTZ 2070. . CPU I9 I am presently running three monitors off of the DP ports on the Graphics card.  The question is: when set up the Rift S, whichUSB port should I use: there is a 3.1 (Gen2 on both th e motherboard and a USB 3.0(?) on the Graphics card.  I''d like to know before I start plugging things in.  Any help you VR experts could give me would be appreciated.  .  :
17 REPLIES 17

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
I'm sorry to seem a bit dim here, but I started this thread asking should I connect the usb line to the usb port on the graphics card or to the usb port on the motherboad?  On the motherboard I have both 3.1 and 3.0, while on the card it is not clear.  

kojack
MVP
MVP

then what does the dp connection do?

The DisplayPort connection is for the video from the PC to the headset. Everything else (both to and from the headset) is over the USB.

I'm sorry to seem a bit dim here, but I started this thread asking should I connect the usb line to the usb port on the graphics card or to the usb port on the motherboad?  On the motherboard I have both 3.1 and 3.0, while on the card it is not clear.  

The usb port on Nvidia graphics cards is effectively just a standard usb port. It does have an extra mode made especially for VR, but no consumer VR headset (such as Rift) supports that mode and it's been discontinued.
I don't know what the state of usb-a to usb-c adapters is (which you'd need to plug a Rift into the graphics card port). I just tried connecting my Rift-S with an adapter and my PC instantly died and wouldn't turn back on until I had fully cut power to it. So, umm, I'm not trying that again. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
So,   it.  sounds that it would be better to use the 3.0 USB port on the motherboard?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, probably the safest bet.

Also, there can be trouble with Gen 2 ports. My motherboard has a 3.2 Gen 2 USB-C and a 3.2 Gen 2 USB-A port. If I plug the Rift into the Gen 2 USB-A port the vibration of the controllers gets messed up (lags, or doesn't turn on/off correctly).
Others have reported the same thing.
A Gen 1 port (either USB 3.0, USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.2 Gen 1, they are all the same thing, the committee keeps renaming the standard) seems the most reliable. Although even then you may need a powered Hub, many motherboards can't reliably handle the Rift-S's power requirements.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
My motherboard has has four  3.1 Gen 1 (Type A), one 3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) and one 3..1 (Type C).  Which would you suggest I try first? I do have a powered 3.1 (Type C) hub.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

My motherboard has has four  3.1 Gen 1 (Type A), one 3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) and one 3..1 (Type C).  Which would you suggest I try first? I do have a powered 3.1 (Type C) hub.

You are probably best to try all of these and see which works best for you.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
That's sounds like a plan.  My rift-s is supposed to arrive next week and we'll see which port works best without blowing up my computer!  Thanks to all of you for helping. 

dan_landis_77
Honored Guest
Hi, it's me again.  Questionsfor somebody who is running x-pl;ane with three monitors.1) Before connecting rift-S, should I disconnect all three of the monitors from the graphic card? Or, can I leave the center one connected and put the rift on one of the other ports?  2) I would like to continue to use my Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant rather than the rift S remotes. The Honeycomb and throttle give a more realistic experience, similar to actually flying my old 172.  How can I do this?  3) Right now (pre VR) I send location information to an IPAD which has charts on it and I am able to follow my flight on that display.  Is there a way to bring that information into the VR?  4) Have any of you run the new 11.50 with rift?  If so, any bumps to watch out for?

My rift-s should arrive on Tuesday (God and the USPS willing) and I plan to spend a day or two getting it setup.  I'd appreciate any comments so I don't go around inventing the wheel.

Thanks much. 

Dan