cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Ti work

YT-TuffBoySyn
Honored Guest
this is what my laptop has and in the app the it reads the USB and it has a check mark but the Display port doesn't and won't read. I don't if its just incompatible or I'm just not doing something right.
24 REPLIES 24

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
So I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get my Rift CV1 setup on my Alienware. It seems that the HMD isn't registering the 3.0 USB ports. I know that my ports are all 3.0, but the HMD sees them as 2.0 for some reason. And when I switch things around, the sensors acknowledge the 3.0 version, but not the HMD.

I'm sure I can figure something out to get it working. But that's where I'm at for now!
🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

So I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get my Rift CV1 setup on my Alienware. It seems that the HMD isn't registering the 3.0 USB ports. I know that my ports are all 3.0, but the HMD sees them as 2.0 for some reason. And when I switch things around, the sensors acknowledge the 3.0 version, but not the HMD.

I'm sure I can figure something out to get it working. But that's where I'm at for now!
🙂

I used to have this problem on/off with my AW 17r4 laptop and cv1 w/2x sensors (3x sensors did not work well, not enough bandwidth).  That is, sensors recognized usb3.0 but headset 2.0.  I found that if I just unplugged the headset usb and plugged it in again it would often then register it as 3.0.  Actually I never could tell the difference so I just ignored it for a while.  I eventually bought a powered usb3.0 hub and connected both sensors to it and my headset usb to my laptop usb3.0 (found one that seemed to work best).  This worked well but again, it would occasionally show 2.0 but I just ignored it since I could not see any performance differences anyway.  I came to the conclusion that it may just be a device reporting error with the Oculus App.  Either that, or the performance difference with the cv1 headset @usb2.0 vs 3.0 is not significant.  I recall Cyber saying as much.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Thanks for the Feedback, Tom! The main issue I'm having is that my Rift won't actually turn on. The little inside sensor light responds, but when I put the HMD, the screen stays dark. I assumed that this 2.0 USB is the issue.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@Zenbane could also be a hdmi and/or cable issue.  I’m sure you’ll figure it out eventually mate.  Might be worth trying a different nvidia driver.  I’m using 442.19.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Thanks for the Feedback, Tom! The main issue I'm having is that my Rift won't actually turn on. The little inside sensor light responds, but when I put the HMD, the screen stays dark. I assumed that this 2.0 USB is the issue.

Hmmm, this makes me think my CV1 may still have some life in it yet. I've been dealing with this same problem with my system in my Signature. For the past many months my CV1 has been showing the same...not connected to USB 3.0 even though it is. It has ran fine for months showing only connected to USB 2.0 but late last week went all black screen. I tried switching all my USB ports around + even installed another USB 3.0 card I had but HMD wouldn't connect to USB 3.0 and remained black screen. Also tried different HDMI ports but nothing helped. I also tried a few different Nvidia drivers but nothing helped. It leads me to think there has been a recent Windows 10 update that has fff'd everything up. Oculus is saying they haven't changed anything affecting USB. Looks like I may try to install the CV1 on my 980Ti system and see if it still works there.

Good luck getting yours to work with your Alienware!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Hmmm, this makes me think my CV1 may still have some life in it yet. I've been dealing with this same problem with my system in my Signature. For the past many months my CV1 has been showing the same...not connected to USB 3.0 even though it is. It has ran fine for months showing only connected to USB 2.0 but late last week went all black screen. I tried switching all my USB ports around + even installed another USB 3.0 card I had but HMD wouldn't connect to USB 3.0 and remained black screen. Also tried different HDMI ports but nothing helped. I also tried a few different Nvidia drivers but nothing helped. It leads me to think there has been a recent Windows 10 update that has fff'd everything up. Oculus is saying they haven't changed anything affecting USB. Looks like I may try to install the CV1 on my 980Ti system and see if it still works there.

I'm using Oculus v20 with the latest win10 2004 with current updates and nvidia 422.19.  No USB3 problems with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

TheGreenYoutube
Protege
VR on a GTX 1050ti is like driving with 3 wheels. It's possible, but not as enjoyable. Never play on "minimum" specs. Use recommend specs instead. Also, laptop graphic cards are a little bit weaker than their desktop counterparts. If you really wanna do VR, buy a quest, sell your laptop and buy another one with at least a GTX 1060/RX 570/470, or buy an eGPU(external graphic card).

Digikid1
Consultant

VR on a GTX 1050ti is like driving with 3 wheels. It's possible, but not as enjoyable. Never play on "minimum" specs. Use recommend specs instead. Also, laptop graphic cards are a little bit weaker than their desktop counterparts. If you really wanna do VR, buy a quest, sell your laptop and buy another one with at least a GTX 1060/RX 570/470, or buy an eGPU(external graphic card).

So basically the same thing  I said. 😛

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

TomCgcmfc said:

Zenbane said:

I'm using Oculus v20 with the latest win10 2004 with current updates and nvidia 422.19.  No USB3 problems with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

I'm always weary of upgrading windows to the latest release due to how many times they have screwed up everyone systems with botched releases...LOL!!! I've deferred full number upgrades for the maximum year...but will see, I might do the upgrade now that things have settled...when I have some time... Cheers!!!

Out of curiosty...why Nvidia 422.19 instead of latest 452.06 or anything in between?

OP...apologies for hijacking your post... o:)

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Zenbane said:

I'm always weary of upgrading windows to the latest release due to how many times they have screwed up everyone systems with botched releases...LOL!!! I've deferred full number upgrades for the maximum year...but will see, I might do the upgrade now that things have settled...when I have some time... Cheers!!!

Out of curiosty...why Nvidia 422.19 instead of latest 452.06 or anything in between?

OP...apologies for hijacking your post... o:)

I always try nvidia latest updates (using ddu btw) and after I check out my VR performance (Rift cv1 and Vive Pro)  So far I have not found anything better than 442.19.

Win10 2004 now seems nice and stable (finally).  Seems to have slightly better usb support than 1909 now.