cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an app for Occulus Quest that can help kids improve their reading skills?

kathy_day_9693
Honored Guest
My niece is 10 years old and struggles with her reading. I've helped her read books but she quickly becomes bored. I've read that a VR environment can improve kids' reading skills because it's fun and immersive but I can't seem to locate any Occulus Quest games for this purpose. Any recommendations? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Richooal
Consultant
My recommendation is stick with the books. Generally more screen time does not improve reading or writing.
Plus, there's this...................

xtg6bw9yqy2o.jpg

If it was me, I'd be letting my brother/sister decide on using VR (or not) for 10 yr olds. It forces the eyes to constantly focus at around 1 to 1.5 metres and removes eyeball divergence.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

falken76
Expert Consultant
You should be the "app".  Let VR be the reward and give her a reading assignment to complete. And don't be weak, if she doesn't do it right, no reward.

Digikid1
Consultant
Actual BOOKS are the BEST method for learning how to read.  Technology will never be able to replace good old fashioned BOOKS.

kathy_day_9693
Honored Guest
Listen, I understand what you're saying - I'm the daughter of a librarian and an author.  I love books. My house is filled with books. But there has been some research that suggests VR can help kids with reading issues. (Apparently, I cannot provide links yet because this board says I have to be around for a little while longer before I can post links.) 

Thank you for your thoughts and I'll be moving on...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Reading books with my own eyes bores the hell out of me and nothing will change that. That's why I chose to get audible from amazon and have people read books for me. It's good education even if it's someone else reading the book for you.

Double_Shot
Adventurer

Listen, I understand what you're saying - I'm the daughter of a librarian and an author.  I love books. My house is filled with books. But there has been some research that suggests VR can help kids with reading issues. (Apparently, I cannot provide links yet because this board says I have to be around for a little while longer before I can post links.) 

Thank you for your thoughts and I'll be moving on...

That's one of the problems with forums for any hobby - a lot of people like to type stuff just to look smart and never bother to try to answer the questions at hand.  Good luck with your search for an answer.  I wish I could help.

For real.... They offer no insight, just make some useless comment that ties up a few kb of the internet so they can let the world know what a purist they are without any evidence or even common sense to support their condescending claims. I'm interested in the same thing. And if I can incorporate it into something he actually enjoys doing, then he'll be more inclined to show interest in it. I like to read myself, but life is busy, and you have to adapt sometimes. 

hazelaiken
Explorer

You can explore various VR experiences and games that can indirectly enhance reading abilities of your daughter. Here are a few recommendations from my end. VirtualSpeech VR, Wander, Ocean Rift, Job Simulator and Google Earth VR. For more info visit Glitch Text Generator