cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I bought a HMD other that Oculus Rift ?

bobd14
Protege
With several HMD  on the market lately, & OR being closely link with face book, my next purchase may be from a different manufacturer.   What happens to the apps that were bought at the oculus store...lost ? 
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

bobd14 said:

With several HMD  on the market lately, & OR being closely link with face book, my next purchase may be from a different manufacturer.   What happens to the apps that were bought at the oculus store...lost ? 

No , you will still own them and they will remain tied to your account.
Might can get some of them to play on the other device via Revive. Or if you still have your Rift of course you can play on it. 

DominatorVIP
Adventurer
You'll still own the games, if you had bought the games from a 3rd party, like Steam for example, then you may be able to play them with a different HMD, but since it sounds like you bought the apps straight from Oculus, I doubt you'll be able to use them again unless you buy another Oculus headset. But if you ever do get another HMD from oculus, then the games will still be there (assuming they aren't removed from the store for whatever reason) and you can replay them whenever you so please.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

bobd14
Protege
I shouldn't have said lost.  I know they would be available if I install  rift software.  With a different manufacturer I couldn't run any rift store apps then, right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

bobd14 said:

I shouldn't have said lost.  I know they would be available if I install  rift software.  With a different manufacturer I couldn't run any rift store apps then, right?

Possibly via Revive.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Revive program dburne mentioned is a program that lets other headsets (vive, index, etc) run oculus games.
It's not perfect and not all games work flawlessly in it, but many are using it to run oculus exclusives or keep running things after moving to a different headset.

It's not a guarantee though.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

The Revive program dburne mentioned is a program that lets other headsets (vive, index, etc) run oculus games.
It's not perfect and not all games work flawlessly in it, but many are using it to run oculus exclusives or keep running things after moving to a different headset.

Has there been any indication that this will cease to be usable after October?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kevinw729 said:

kojack said:

Has there been any indication that this will cease to be usable after October?

I've heard nothing so far, but shit would really hit the fan if people are denied using Revive to play games they've purchased from the Oculus store.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:
I've heard nothing so far, but shit would really hit the fan if people are denied using Revive to play games they've purchased from the Oculus store.

I agree the eruption from this would be tectonic, but that is partly why I was surprised we have not heard a denial that this is even a thing. I have to deduce that the focus is wholly on FC7 being positively received. So they will do anything to ensure maximum positive optics, and then deal with the bush fires after the event - issues hopefully kicked into the long grass by ensuring positive coverage and positing, (kind'a like what we discussed in the PM). 😉 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959