cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automobilista 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey gang,
So the other day I decided I wanted to get back in racing sims. Has been many years for me, and I wanted to check it out in VR. 
So I purchased a Logitech G29 wheel setup, and also purchased this recently released Automobilista 2.

I am having a blast this. It is gorgeous in VR and has a wide selection of both cars and tracks. I am currently cutting my teeth with the Formula V10
running practice laps until I can get decent enough I feel I could take on the AI.

I had never heard of this one, thought I would drop it here for others that might be interested. Appears to be pretty hard core racing sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JVg1ftqwd20&feature=emb_logo

30 REPLIES 30

Dogmanbird
Protege
it's just the case fans - the faster you drive, the hotter the cpu, the harder they blow

but the computer shuts down every now and then

Dogmanbird
Protege
i kids of course  🙂

lensmandave
Superstar
The fans are controlled with an Arduino motor controller board driven by the SimHub app. SimHub takes telemetry from racing sims to drive motion platforms, cockpit displays etc. It's all clever stuff, I have 'wind curving' programmed so extra air blows from side to side according to lateral g forces 🙂
SimHub also drives my old Buttkicker, not using audio output but using various dynamic telemetry from the car. So you can have high frequency vibrations from rumble kerbs, road surface detail, suspension deflection...the list is long.
The wind effect isn't 'realistic' of course, you don't fell wind in a tin top or when wearing a racing helmet, but the immersive feeling of speed and acceleration is very convincing 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Wish I could set my Buttkicker up again, but If I do the guy in the flat below will attempt to kick my butt. I had it setup for 1 hour before he complained last time. Hopefully, I'll get to use it when I move because these Bass Shakers really make VR feel much more realistic. 

saami81
Rising Star
There can never be enough good racing sims for VR. Actually without VR they arent good for me. Thanks @dburne i must check this one out. I hope it is as good as Assetto corsa or iracing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

saami81 said:

There can never be enough good racing sims for VR. Actually without VR they arent good for me. Thanks @dburne i must check this one out. I hope it is as good as Assetto corsa or iracing.

You are most welcome!
I wish I could compare but really have no idea on the others as I have been out of racing sims for so long.
I can say though so far I am having a blast with this one. Really surprised how good performance is.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing I will mention gang that had me somewhat confused when setting this game up as I was not aware.
This game has both settings for VR and another settings file for 2d Monitor.
First thing I did was go setup some button assignments in 2d on the monitor, then when I went to drive the car in VR my assignments were not there.
After doing some searching found this tidbit of info out.

Pretty neat feature especially for those that might like to play it in both 2d and VR, just caught me off guard.

lensmandave
Superstar
Interesting discovery Don. I had no idea that existed.
BTW have you done the VR sharpening tweak to the ini file?
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it is really neat, and I forget to mention when launching it in VR you can still use the desktop to input the assignments, as the desktop image is active as well. I found it easier to do that way.

No, not familiar with that tweak? 

lensmandave
Superstar

dburne said:

Yeah it is really neat, and I forget to mention when launching it in VR you can still use the desktop to input the assignments, as the desktop image is active as well. I found it easier to do that way.

No, not familiar with that tweak? 

It's an edit to a config file that tweaks the image sharpness with no impact on performance.
Go to your documents/Automobilista 2 folder and find the graphicsconfigoculusdx11 XML file
Open it in notepad and scroll down to the bottom...

<prop name="GraphicsLevel" graphicslevel="4" />
        <prop name="SuperSampling" supersampling="0" />
        <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
        <prop name="VRSuperSampling" vrsupersampling="0" />
        <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.000000" />
        <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
        <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />
    </data>
</Reflection>

Edit the value in the line      <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.000000" />
The game default is all zeros : "0.000000"
Try values from "1.500000 to "2.500000" I settled on "2.000000" but experiment and find your sweet spot:)

BTW the in game super sampling doesn't seem to work. I can't see any visual difference or any impact on performance.
Have fun 🙂
Dave