cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift S, can't get past Sensor Check and tried for 2 hours, tried everything I could.

Alfonso2jz
Sightseer
I tried many things, I checked if my cables were secure, tried to unplug them, plug the usb cable, then wait 10 seconds to plug the DIsplayport in, tried to Repair oculus app, restarted my computer, checked that camera was enabled in windows settings, checked to make sure windows won't turn off the device for power, I tried running the oculus Driver tool as well. I use a pcie card with 4 usb 3.0 ports, I tried all 4 ports, didn't fix it. I never used the Rift S before, and it just came out of the box brand new.b5xt74s2cryr.png
5 REPLIES 5

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I just got my Rift S last week after my CV1 stopped showing anything on screen (long story). Anyway, I also had the same initial problems getting the Rift S to work in my system. I believe it has to do with most USB 3.0 cards or built in USB 3.0 on mb's (and Windows 10 updates). After lots of issues trying to get it to work, I had to then keep changing USB 3.0 port every time i booted up the system (very irritating). Since my mb (in signature) has built in USB 3.1 type 'C' port (never used it), I decided to buy a USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 hub to see if that would take care of the issues...long and behold...it fixed my USB problems with the Rift S (but not the Rift CV1).

So, if your can't get it working properly, first...swap all your ports around (both HDMI + USB 3.0) until you get a proper connection (also remove everything USB attached to your system unless it's required for Kb + ms, then plug back in 'after' getting the Rift S working). Each time you change a port you will need to wait for the Rift S to let you know if it worked or not. Second, I suggest getting a PCIe USB 3.1 card for your system if it doesn't have built in USB 3.1. Another person here also has had success with a PCIe USB 3.1 card so that should solve further issues. Cheers!!

Also, what are your system specs, that helps for troubleshooting.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Alfonso2jz
Sightseer
I tried that aswell, I swapped all of the Displayport and Usb 3.0 ports, The card I use is a usb 3.0, I'm not sure if 3.0 or 3.1 is required, I bought the card for the time I had my quest for link, I got past the headset sensor check, but now, when I play a game, my Rift S' tracking would randomly freeze up, like my controllers and movement everything, or it would teleport me far away, then ask me to re draw my new playspace, most of the time it happens, I have to disconnect the cables, then I have to work my way around that sensor check when I remove the Rift S and re add it to set it up, so now it's the tracking issues. My system specs are:
Intel i7-2600
rx 570 4gb
500w evga psu
1tb WD Blue hdd
16gb 1333mhz ddr3
FebSmart 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I has similar issues as you described (even had VR video upside down in HMD). I also tried a PCIe USB 3.0 card in my system before going with the USB 3.1 hub, but that didn't help...USB 3.1 did (at least for me). Windows 10 seems to have issues with some USB3.0 items based on original USB3.0 I suppose.

-If you can, try to return the USB3.0 card or exchange it for a USB 3.1 card (might need a USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 hub too though unless new card also has 3.0 ports) (do this last if nothing else works).

-Also, which # version of Win 10 are you using? Might be worthwhile upgrading Win 10 if using an older version (do this second).

-Also, upgrade video drivers to latest in case it's a port issue (due this first).

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Alfonso2jz
Sightseer
My video drivers are all up to date, and the Windows 10 version is 1909, and are you sure the Rift S cable will work with a Usb 3.1 Type A port? Is 3.1 going to power the headset better than 3.0?

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
It won't work directly with the USB3.1 port. There will either be USB 3.0 ports on the card besides the USB3.1 or a USB3.1 hub will be needed that plugs in to the USB3.1 port (either 'A' or 'C') that has USB3.0 ports also. The reason I mention using a USB3.1 card is due to that being the latest standard and has replaced USB3.0 although still supports USB3.0 use. It will provide the best compatibility with recent devices.