New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Pinball FX2 VR on Sale

TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,870 Valuable Player
Just a quick note to let you all know that Pinball FX2 VR is on sale at Steam for the next ~40hrs.  Less than 1/2 the price compared to the Oculus store (cross buy with Quest though) and tables seem to be about 1/3rd Oculus prices.  You cannot add Steam bought tables to the Oculus version, and vice versa.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/547590/Pinball_FX2_VR/

Looks and plays very well with both my Vive Pro and Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop.  Controllers all work fine and you can use and Xbox wireless controller.  Plays fine with my Rift cv1 but I gotta say it's graphics are a bit disappointing, even with 2.0 SS.  I don't think it's native Oculus because I get the Steam Void when I start it up.  Maybe the Oculus Rift store version is better?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Comments

• JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,718 Valuable Player
    edited September 13
    I played it on CV1 and Index (Oculus and SteamVR versions) and was impressed with both. What I don't like is that you can't check out an add-on table before buying. I don't think you can get a refund on an add-on table from Steam and I know for a fact that you can't on Home (cos Cyber told us when I mentioned it a couple of years back).

As I didn't like the other two base game tables I decided to buy The Walking Dead add-on table. And it sucked! (imo of course - others may like it). This put me off ever getting another add-on table because its just throwing money away, and I just play the Mission To Mars every time.

Definitely the best computer pinball I've seen, though - even beating Pinball Fantasies on the Amiga, for which I have the GOG PC version and play it on my tablet. :)

edit: Oh me oh my! I just went along to have a look at this and see what the tables in Season 1 Pack looked like and saw "This content is already in your library" :o

Really? I had no idea! Maybe I tried them all and didn't like them? I don't remember (I am on old fart, after all) so I guess I know what I'll be doing this evening...

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    So interested... but at the same time, I've bought these tables too many times already.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,870 Valuable Player
    @JD-UK My favorite table is Wild West Rampage (with season pass 1 dlc).  Mainly because is has a very nice looking cowgirl, lol!  I have tried all the tables now and they all have their own charm.  Probably best to just play though one of them at a time and then move onto another one.  Given my pretty so-so gaming skills and short attention span these tables should last me a very long time imho.

Only about 18 hours left on this Steam sale (I'm sure there will be other sales every few months though).  Very good value compared to the Oculus store. I ended up buying;
    - fx2 Ultimate (came with season 1 tables) = aud$19.93
    - Universal tables = aud$14.47
    - Walking Dead table = aud$4.25
    - Total = aud$38.65

Compared to Oculus store (cross-buy with Quest btw);
    - FX2 (w/3 base tables) = aud$22.99
    - Season 1 tables = aud$38.99
    - Universal tables = aud$30.99
    - Walking Dead table = aud$9.99
    - Total = aud$104.96

So, pretty big difference in $'s, lol!  Much as I'd like to have the standalone Quest version it's way too expensive since none of the extra tables bought on Steam can be used on the Oculus versions.  The steam version already plays perfectly with my Quest wireless w/Virtual Desktop.  Plus, pinball games don't benefit much from wireless anyway.  I'll try to contact the developer and see if he will supply me Oculus keys for the extra tables.  If he does I'll probably spring for the aud$22.99 base Quest/Rift version.  I don't like my chances of getting this but I'll let you all know how I make out. 

I also managed to fine-tune my Rift cv1 settings (mainly by just using only higher in-game graphics) so it looks pretty good now.  Overall graphics are still best with my Vive Pro (w/200% SteamVR pixel density) but Vive controllers are a bit heavy/clunky to use compared to Touch controllers.  Works ok with my Xbox one wireless gamepad but I found that its flipper controls were sometime a little sticky/laggy.

Overall, a great collection if you're a Pinball fan!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    edited September 13
    Dag nabbit people, I didn't need to buy these tables a THIRD time! Just you wait, the Star Wars and Marvel tables are also going to be added as DLC, and I'll feel compelled to buy those too. All because you folks convinced me via a deep discount sale that's ending in a few hours.

EDIT: I'd bought all the Pinball FX2 tables on Windows 7, then again on X-Box One, and now I'm going to be buying them on Steam for use in VR too?! Why? Why do they do this to me?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,870 Valuable Player
    I found that the best Rift cv1 settings were OTT; SS=0.9, priority=high, asw=off, scaling=off.  Then, highest fx2 in-game graphics settings. Nice stable 90fps and low latency.