cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRADE IN

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Facebook,

Will you be offering a TRADE-IN for Quest 1? Some of us only just purchased and received this set after a long wait. Now a much better and cheaper version is coming out. 
In good faith, it's the right thing to do. - Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

krazycanuck2011
Honored Guest
I have to agree, I literally just received my Quest for my sons birthday which is coming up soon, now I find out there is a cheaper Quest 2 which is more capable. I would expect Facebook/Oculus to offer an upgrade route for this....

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If you haven’t opened it yet, it should be straightforward to return it for a refund.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
It's pretty unlikely there will be a trade up option.  Personally I'm going to wait for a few weeks after it's released to see if it's worth the upgrade; they said a while back that the controllers would be backwards compatible so I want to see what that looks like first.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

falken76
Expert Consultant
Nope, Atari didn't offer trade ins for their new consoles, Nintendo didn't offer a trade in for those that bought an NES right before the SNES came out same right down the line, Sega didn't offer a trade in for those that got an SMS right before Genesis/Mega drive came out, Sony didn't offer a trade in when they released each new PS, and neither did Xbox.  Why should this be different?

AngelsVenom
Protege

falken76 said:

Nope, Atari didn't offer trade ins for their new consoles, Nintendo didn't offer a trade in for those that bought an NES right before the SNES came out same right down the line, Sega didn't offer a trade in for those that got an SMS right before Genesis/Mega drive came out, Sony didn't offer a trade in when they released each new PS, and neither did Xbox.  Why should this be different?

The answer is simple. They made a new product when the previous one is still in beta(some functions).
For me this is unacceptable. Also i have proof of this. An email directly from support oculus.

ilvosjba5wyp.png

Casting will probably still be in beta with Quest 2, as you say, some functions are in beta, they're developed alongside the hardware, I'm not sure that adds to the argument for or against trade-ins.

AngelsVenom
Protege

Casting will probably still be in beta with Quest 2, as you say, some functions are in beta, they're developed alongside the hardware, I'm not sure that adds to the argument for or against trade-ins.

Let me give you an example. 15 years ago let's say when developers were creating a video game they did internally the beta testing so they would give the players a "perfect" game. Now of course this doesn't happen but eventually the product becomes "perfect" just with external help. 
So let me make a simile for you.
I create a game and i sell it to you and everyone else but the game is still in beta phase. Pretty common until now right?
But one day i decide that i will ditch this game and create a better one(same genre). How would you react to that?!
I would be furious!

So yeah i am correct and you are wrong. The problem here is of course that very few people know the fact that i mentioned above so very few people are being furious and that's good for business and that's why facebook will not do anything about compensating anyone. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Software features being in beta have nothing to do with hardware releases. The Quest 1 will still be supported, and eventually those software features will come out of beta and be usable on it. Both Quest 1 and Quest 2 run on the same software. You don't have to stop using your Quest 1 just because there is a newer model coming out.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

falken76
Expert Consultant

falken76 said:

The answer is simple. They made a new product when the previous one is still in beta(some functions).
For me this is unacceptable. Also i have proof of this. An email directly from support oculus.

ilvosjba5wyp.png

Still doesn't matter.  That's one portion of software which will probably work on both quests and these headsets will constantly have something in beta.  Facebook will absolutely not offer a trade in program.  The product has been out a while already.  I personally think they move forward and discontinue items way too fast. (My CV1 is going to die someday because I can't buy a replacement cable).  It certainly isn't the norm that a company offers a trade in on old hardware for the new one that is coming out, so I would not expect an offer from facebook.