cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't agree to the new terms of service

Michael_Jacobse
Honored Guest
I do not agree to the new terms of service I recently received. I don't want to ever use a Facebook account with my Rift S. 
I regard this change in terms to be a violation of promises made by the company that this would never happen.
How can I return my Rift S for a refund. I have contacted support about it too.
20 REPLIES 20

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
nryoi9zixyuk.gif
WAAAGH!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
- For some its a matter of concern regarding their feelings about Facebook
- For some its a matter of levity, for funny comments
- For some its a disappointment regarding an investment made and now to be abandoned
- For some its not important and they will support whatever
- For some its a brand new opportunity they look forward to trying

Its a interesting mix of positions - I wonder who will get the most from this... other than Facebook! 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

- For some its a matter of concern regarding their feelings about Facebook
- For some its a matter of levity, for funny comments
- For some its a disappointment regarding an investment made and now to be abandoned
- For some its not important and they will support whatever
- For some its a brand new opportunity they look forward to trying

We forgot one!

- For some it's an opportunity to log in the OculusVR.com Forum and help fan the flames of dissenting views.

kojack said:

The announcement says:

Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If
    you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will
    have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and
    Facebook accounts.

• If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

Starting In January 2023:

• We will end support for Oculus accounts.

• If
    you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue
    using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook
    account.

• We will take steps to
    allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games
    and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a
    Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support
    the app or game you purchased.

Yep! I have nothing to add. I just felt like the actual facts deserved to be seen at least twice amongst the hyperbole.
 🙂 

falken76
Expert Consultant

dburne said:

This was posted on FB a short while ago...

"If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted," a spokesperson replied.
"If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer."
This appears to apply to a wide range of violations, including infractions like violence, criminal behavior, and fraud, as well as using pseudonyms instead of real names, using a fake date of birth, posting graphic content or anything else Facebook deems objectionable."

Or perhaps if you post and have conservative view points....

I will no longer support Oculus, I'll keep using the Rift CV1.  The concerns over bans is what I was worried about and they'll do just like I thought.  It took me a damn month to get my business facebook page back because I logged in from a new laptop then that set off an investigation that required me to harass 3 of my friends to vouch for me, then they wanted ID and a utility bill.  The fact that a ban on their super liberal BBS can affect your gaming library that you paid real world money for is absolutely unacceptable.  It's their product to do with as they please and I expected them to tie everything into your facebook account.  The punative threat from a company that silences accounts that have political view points that the host company doesn't agree with is what I will not subject myself to.  I was going to get that new Modern Warfare exclusive they've been working on....  I'll skip it, I've got enough good games and they're all on steam so I won't be screwed if I were to lose access to my facebook account.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

Nope, that is fake news. I already shared multiple links to conservative view points, and all other views across the political and religious spectrum. Even Flat Earthers have their own Facebook Groups.

If you have chosen a headset other than Oculus or Facebook, then that's fine. But you should do so happily! Enjoy your new journey. I see no reason to start spreading untruths on an Oculus forum simply because you are choosing a non-Oculus path.

I mean... I don't own the Valve Index, but that doesn't mean I'm going to head over to the Steam Forums and claim that Valve only allows Flat Earthers to post! lol

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zenbane said:

falken76 said:

Nope, that is fake news. I already shared multiple links to conservative view points, and all other views across the political and religious spectrum. Even Flat Earthers have their own Facebook Groups.

If you have chosen a headset other than Oculus or Facebook, then that's fine. But you should do so happily! Enjoy your new journey. I see no reason to start spreading untruths on an Oculus forum simply because you are choosing a non-Oculus path.

I mean... I don't own the Valve Index, but that doesn't mean I'm going to head over to the Steam Forums and claim that Valve only allows Flat Earthers to post! lol

Fair enough, however that's why I used the word "perhaps".  I just don't trust the whole thing, I don't think they should ban you from your games if you get banned on facebook since you paid money for it.  But it's not really that big a deal since I don't buy my games through them anyhow because I just preferred steam since I used them for so long.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

Zenbane said:

falken76 said:

Fair enough, however that's why I used the word "perhaps". 

Adding perhaps doesn't really help when something is blatantly untrue though.

Here's a false statement:
  • falken is really a duck

Obviously, you're not a duck! You're a person. But what if I said this:
  • perhaps falken is really a duck

Did adding "perhaps" really help anything? 

falken76 said:
 I just don't trust the whole thing, I don't think they should ban you from your games if you get banned on facebook since you paid money for it.  

I guess it would depend on the severity of the infraction. However, it's all speculation anyway. None of this has been 100% set-in-stone confirmed by Facebook. Most of this type of rhetoric comes from people who are moving away from Oculus but want to twist things negatively in the process.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
All I know is I started the Gear, then moved up to the Rift, and now use the Rift S.  All of them without any problems and Very good at taking me into the room, game, and much more.  I use my Rift S as long as I can without a FB account because I see no reason to have one.

Antonyvw
Protege
I do not believe in giving Facebook a lot of information about me. So at present Im wondering if I should start planning to buy maybe the Vive instead of being forced to accept something that I did not agree to

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Antonyvw said:

I do not believe in giving Facebook a lot of information about me. 

You are already giving them your info with your current Oculus account. Even your post now is info that you just gave to facebook.

If you use their Social Media service for VR, then you still control how much info you give them. Just like you're controlling it right now.