cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 - Graphics

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think that the visuals of Quest vs every other HMD on the market is going to be a very hot topic; and likely deserves its own thread! There are so many facets to a VR experience: Audio, Comfort, Library, Tracking Accuracy, etc.

But "visuals" are a huge driving force, especially now that we have VR visuals coming in multiple flavors (stand-alone, console, PC, link integration).

With that being said, this has been taken from the Arizona Sunshine image provided by the Quest 2 commercial. And yeah... I noticed how quickly the commercial "skimmed over" Arizona Sunshine. I think I can see why!

While Quest is an amazing product-line, VR Enthusiasts are still going to need an HMD that takes full advantage of those visuals. Hopefully this will come in the form of a new Rift.

Because... this is a big no-no for high-end experiences:

fohc5neqo1xe.jpg
18 REPLIES 18

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
When I use my Quest, I am still bothered by the SDE. I can clearly see little rectangles. I get used to it, but when I take my headset off, it is quite jarring to go back to hi-fidelity reality. I don't mind the actual graphics not being realistic or even ultra-crisp, but I need the display to be, for lack of a better term, "more Retina-like."

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

ShocksVR
Superstar
When I use my Quest, I am still bothered by the SDE

That's probably due to the Quest display being a Pentile OLED. Pentile displays tend to have really bad SDE.  That's why VR headsets are making the move to RGB LCD. RGB pixel layout just looks a lot better (clarity) and minimizes SDE.

The Rift S uses a RGB LCD, I fully expect the Quest 2 to also use a RGB LCD.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Well, that does look pretty janky, but I assume this still is from the current Quest 1 version of Arizona Sunshine with no optimizations to take advantage of Quest 2's additional oomph (I haven't bought Arizona Sunshine on the Quest, so I can't comment on how good a port it is).

Screen grabs are not a good representation of VR at the best of times, but this image is a crop of the screen mirror, showing mostly distant geometry, in motion, with YouTube compression on top... I wouldn't rush to take it face value as a good example of exactly what the Quest 2 can offer. In the same video we also see a shot of Red Matter, which is quite a good looking game (also Quest 1 version, presumably):
hh25roagsb24.jpg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Quest 2 could be awesome for 4K Netflix and for watching movies - I think many people would love hmds if they knew about the potential for watching movies. Maybe even my wife, lol. 

Personally XR2 or 835 are the same to me, none can handle any of the VR games I like. Quest 2 is only interesting combined with Link. 

But I'm getting slightly tired of the focus on new hardware. Both my Index and CV1 are awesome - and with res 200% or ss 2.0 I've been pushing 17 mill pixels per image in these hmds for years - which is more than 2 x 4k res. I do not need a 3rd hmd to rekindle my love for VR, I just want new great content to use in my current hmds. After 3 years I still can only think of Lone Echo when thinking of games that fully supports Touch, using both grab functions and the index finger. Not even Alyx fully uses Knuckles. I don't want new hardware, just want content that really uses the hardware I own.

Also let's take Arizona Sunshine - even the PCVR version looks really bad using Index, because pixel crawling is everywhere, textures aren't that high-res and performance isn't very good. Using CV1 the SDE removes all jaggies and makes the textures look much more high-res - and the game looks so much better - and performs great due to ASW 2.0. If I'm going to play Arizona Sunshine, I want oled with SDE, high-res lcd totally reveals all flaws and reduce immersion. The important point about high-res lcd hmds is that you need new games with extremely high texture res - like Boneworks and Alyx - to make them shine. 

All these new hmds sometimes seem like distraction maneuvers to keep us from realizing that VR needs more awesome content for the more than capable hmds we already own. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've never seen anything as bad as that screenshot on Quest - nowhere near. Where did it come from? I didn't buy Arizona Sunshine (which I think that is supposed to be) on Quest as I already have it on Oculus and SteamVR. Wasn't gonna buy it a third time - but if that is an accurate representation of what the game looked like in Quest then it was a right royal fuck-up and not in any way representative of Quest visual standards - though I'm sure plenty of people would love to use it as such.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nalex66 said:

Well, that does look pretty janky, but I assume this still is from the current Quest 1 version of Arizona Sunshine with no optimizations to take advantage of Quest 2's additional oomph (I haven't bought Arizona Sunshine on the Quest, so I can't comment on how good a port it is).

Screen grabs are not a good representation of VR at the best of times, but this image is a crop of the screen mirror, showing mostly distant geometry, in motion, with YouTube compression on top... I wouldn't rush to take it face value as a good example of exactly what the Quest 2 can offer. In the same video we also see a shot of Red Matter, which is quite a good looking game (also Quest 1 version, presumably):
hh25roagsb24.jpg

Red Matter is another game that shines using CV1 oled, and looks really bad using high-res  lcd hmds. I'm fully convinced Quest 2 uses lcd, interesting what users will think when blacks become grays and high-res reveals all flaws and bad textures - because sometimes the oled SDE is your friend. Have never seen the Quest version of Red Matter, only the Rift version (using both CV1 and Index, and I greatly prefer CV1 for that game).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This screenshot came from the leaked commercial. Right at the 1:51 timestamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQE662Yo-g

I feel like maybe this is just a bad Media shot. Or maybe the AZ version didn't work out too well in making this demo. Everything else looks solid about the visuals. This graphic just stands out like a sore thumb! lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

JD-UK said:

I've never seen anything as bad as that screenshot on Quest - nowhere near. Where did it come from? 

All the true 1:1 Quest ports on Rift look exactly that bad, no real textures just even-colored surfaces and polygon levels that take you back to Quake in 1996. It's not the road to the bottom, it is the bottom 😉

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
To be fair, shouldn't really judge Arizona Sunshine based on a screengrab from a low-quality leaked info-trailer. They should have put in the small text that usually accompanies these videos: - not indicative of the final product, or visuals subject to change, images not representative of final product etc.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.