New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BREAKING - Quest 2 Video Revealled!

167891012»

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,184 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 16
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:
    I think it will depend on the developers willingness to include settings within their game to cater for both Quest headsets or not, model complexity and textures size etc.
    A simple 'Quest 1 or Quest 2' option in the app's menu would be ideal (or auto detect). Graphics sliders are the default way of thinking for PC games but we're in the hands of the developers as to whether they take the time to do it for Quest.
    Quest 1 SoC is just too weak and the jump will be party large. I assume some games could of course do this - but I have a feeling it will be a hard press not be able to support both without some really big cut in how the game works or looks. If Quest 1 has used a better SoC at the time of release - maybe it would have a better chance. As of what leaks there has been - it looks like a big enough change in performance I am not sure any dev creating with Quest 2 in mind will be able to go backwards to Quest 1 that easy. Plus - all the devs already wishing there was just a little more with the Quest 1 already so their games could "fit" with in the hardware specs.
    Variations in graphical complexity is a relatively simple thing to allow for within a single game.

I think storage would be the potential problem, Quest 1's would struggle to store many games if they include the large textures and model detail options that make the most of Quest 2's capabilities.
    Yes to a point - but you have many factors you have to deal with. I mean if it was that simple - we see more PC games going over to the Quest or Quest games not being resolid as new games if that was the case, yet it did happen and yet it took/taken many devs hours to "recreate" their idea on the Quest because of the fact it was such a large difference. I wouldn't say its simple so long as the hardware is with in generations - but this isn't. We're talking a big enough jump and future jumps where we will see large performance gains to come.

Correct, textures are going to get better, visuals (res), memory (6GB or more), better key hardware performance, etc. Its just too large of an upgrade to really say Quest 2 games (in mind) are going to be able to scale downwards f or Quest 1 so easy. While some games again could, larger titles are going to find it a bit harder to do/not be able to do.

Its both good and bad - mostly good - as the cost to upgrade is cheaper than Quest 1. Its just a fact though as hardware gets better older hardware will not see as much love going forward as the hardware ages out.
    Well yes, but we're not talking about PC games, just Quest 1 and Quest 2. The difference in capabilities may be big but not on the scale of PC to mobile
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 935
    3Jane
    kevinw729 said:

That so much needs the countdown tune. lol

• MradrMradr Posts: 4,149 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:
    I think it will depend on the developers willingness to include settings within their game to cater for both Quest headsets or not, model complexity and textures size etc.
    A simple 'Quest 1 or Quest 2' option in the app's menu would be ideal (or auto detect). Graphics sliders are the default way of thinking for PC games but we're in the hands of the developers as to whether they take the time to do it for Quest.
    Quest 1 SoC is just too weak and the jump will be party large. I assume some games could of course do this - but I have a feeling it will be a hard press not be able to support both without some really big cut in how the game works or looks. If Quest 1 has used a better SoC at the time of release - maybe it would have a better chance. As of what leaks there has been - it looks like a big enough change in performance I am not sure any dev creating with Quest 2 in mind will be able to go backwards to Quest 1 that easy. Plus - all the devs already wishing there was just a little more with the Quest 1 already so their games could "fit" with in the hardware specs.
    Variations in graphical complexity is a relatively simple thing to allow for within a single game.

I think storage would be the potential problem, Quest 1's would struggle to store many games if they include the large textures and model detail options that make the most of Quest 2's capabilities.
    Yes to a point - but you have many factors you have to deal with. I mean if it was that simple - we see more PC games going over to the Quest or Quest games not being resolid as new games if that was the case, yet it did happen and yet it took/taken many devs hours to "recreate" their idea on the Quest because of the fact it was such a large difference. I wouldn't say its simple so long as the hardware is with in generations - but this isn't. We're talking a big enough jump and future jumps where we will see large performance gains to come.

Correct, textures are going to get better, visuals (res), memory (6GB or more), better key hardware performance, etc. Its just too large of an upgrade to really say Quest 2 games (in mind) are going to be able to scale downwards f or Quest 1 so easy. While some games again could, larger titles are going to find it a bit harder to do/not be able to do.

Its both good and bad - mostly good - as the cost to upgrade is cheaper than Quest 1. Its just a fact though as hardware gets better older hardware will not see as much love going forward as the hardware ages out.
    Well yes, but we're not talking about PC games, just Quest 1 and Quest 2. The difference in capabilities may be big but not on the scale of PC to mobile
    mmm kind of my point its not that simple :P If its with in the same generation of hardware upgrades like an 980 to a 1080 sure a lot of games will support each other. To me base off the SoC its more like a 980 compare to 3080. While it might be able to play some basic games - it wont be able to touch the higher end games all that well.

While of course these are benchmarks from the company and not real ones - the jump in numbers are still pretty crazy. A 2x better performance is not really heard of ... more like 30% improve - that's double!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,707 Valuable Player
    DaftnDirect said:

An interesting point. 
    I wonder if selling the Quest-2 as a say "All-in-One" platform being both able to connect to a PC and also being standalone, and promoting this more, without the confusion of its difference against Rift-S would make for a sales sales opportunity?

Competing alongside the soon to be launched HTC Focus Elite (standalone), the Pico N3 (standalone), and proposed Lynx, Samsung, Panasonic and much rumored Sony (standalone(s)) all with XR2 processors. But at the Quest-2's unique piece point (minus the Link cables' obviously).
    We should know in a few hours ;)
    edited September 16
    Calibos said:
    FB/Oculus will not segment the Quest 1/2 game libraries.

A. Because it would create a shitstorm.
    B. Because the extra performance of the XR2 CPU and GPU Performance is mostly swallowed up by the increase in resolution to near 4k and the increase in refresh rate from 72-90hz.
    I'll read more - but just to cut off - its not that Facebook/Oculus will - it will be the customers and devs that will create the cut off between them. They already segment it off with the hardware (witch is normal) with coming out with better hardware for the price. Now, software will just naturally make use of the new hardware and that will segment off the game libraries over time. Also while true the new display will take more resources to run - the new GPU on the other hand is design for higher resolution in place as well. Meaning - it sounds like it will be a wash with still enough over all performance to pull way a head of the current SoC.
    I think we need to understand that this will be a highly curated ecosystem, and anything that could cause confusion will be addressed. For Facebook the idea of a new "non tech savvy" Quest 2 owner having a problem with their new purchase (mistakenly buying one game that does not work on their Quest 2) is not a situation that will be accepted. For the Quest 1 owners I think they will need to find a happy medium. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,365 Valuable Player
    synchromesh62 said:
    We are not really talking 8 bit to 16 bit here are we. Totally different technology. 

Personally, it feels like you are looking for any reason to avoid the obvious comparison. Arguably, the snapdragon leap is comparable to going from 8-bit to 16-bit.

The main point, though, is that there is no reason to retire a Quest 1 just because one purchases a Quest 2. That fact remains unchallenged.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,737 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:

I'm not sure if its doing a local browser timezone thing wrong or something, but that's off by an hour according to the countdown on https://www.facebookconnect.com/en (3 hours 33min remaining)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    edited September 16
    kevinw729 said:
    I think we need to understand that this will be a highly curated ecosystem, and anything that could cause confusion will be addressed. For Facebook the idea of a new "non tech savvy" Quest 2 owner having a problem with their new purchase (mistakenly buying one game that does not work on their Quest 2) is not a situation that will be accepted. For the Quest 1 owners I think they will need to find a happy medium. 
    They will more likely do what they did in the past and just have a recommend option - like this title was deign for Quest 2 in mind - but supports Quest 1 as optional. Simple Q2 image or something like that. They will let the devs do it so not to take responsibility for a title not being on both.

Plus at this point - why would they care  (long term here) about Quest 1 owners? Dont get be wrong as a Quest 1 owner - but their goal will be to push forward with their FB accounts - and  that means when you upgrade - you will more than likely be force to do the same with your account. Let alone, if you want the newest/replacing your device for any reason.
    kojack said:
    kevinw729 said:

I'm not sure if its doing a local browser timezone thing wrong or something, but that's off by an hour according to the countdown on https://www.facebookconnect.com/en (3 hours 33min remaining)

Yeah, as I am using a US clock App in the EU, and it thinks I am on UK Summer time its having "issues" but hey its close enough and its a free app :)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,533 Valuable Player
    Is somebody going to start a Facebook Connect 7 post? 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,365 Valuable Player
    Is somebody going to start a Facebook Connect 7 post? 
    hmm, yeah. probably a good idea lol
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 560
    Neo
    edited September 16
    Calibos said:

I predicted the XR2 and Res correctly and posted my thoughts before the Big leak. I also predicted an Official Oculus DAS (Deluxe Audio Strap). The reduced weight and size of the Quest 2 makes the fabric strap viable for casual Standalone use, makes it more baggable for transport than the Rigid strap of the Q1 and most importantly is partly responsible for the headline grabbing and enticing $299 base price. However, Oculus are well aware of all the Franken-Quests and Franken-Rifts using the Vive DAS that gifted HTC Revenue.

Mark my words, Oculus will announce a PCVR DAS for Quest 2. There will be an integrated extra battery in it if my intuition about the Code snippet that mentions, "Extra Battery Connected" is correct. Both Enthusiast Standalone and PCVR Quest 2 users will be initially enticed by the $299 base price, both enticed by premium Audio from an (high margin) Official Oculus DAS, standalone users enticed by longer gaming sessions enabled by the integrated battery in the DAS and PCVR users enticed because that battery is really there to help power the headset fully when in Wireless PCVR mode.

Looks like you're partially correct.  An Amazon listing was just posted on reddit, looks like the Quest 2 is getting a premium comfort strap addon. Doesn't look like it includes premium audio, nor a battery addon. But it did take some inspiration from the Vive DAS and Rift S halo.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,392 Valuable Player
    ShocksVR said:
    Calibos said:

I predicted the XR2 and Res correctly and posted my thoughts before the Big leak. I also predicted an Official Oculus DAS (Deluxe Audio Strap). The reduced weight and size of the Quest 2 makes the fabric strap viable for casual Standalone use, makes it more baggable for transport than the Rigid strap of the Q1 and most importantly is partly responsible for the headline grabbing and enticing $299 base price. However, Oculus are well aware of all the Franken-Quests and Franken-Rifts using the Vive DAS that gifted HTC Revenue.

Mark my words, Oculus will announce a PCVR DAS for Quest 2. There will be an integrated extra battery in it if my intuition about the Code snippet that mentions, "Extra Battery Connected" is correct. Both Enthusiast Standalone and PCVR Quest 2 users will be initially enticed by the $299 base price, both enticed by premium Audio from an (high margin) Official Oculus DAS, standalone users enticed by longer gaming sessions enabled by the integrated battery in the DAS and PCVR users enticed because that battery is really there to help power the headset fully when in Wireless PCVR mode.

Looks like you're partially correct.  An Amazon listing was just posted on reddit, looks like the Quest 2 is getting a premium comfort strap addon. Doesn't look like it includes premium audio, nor a battery addon. But it did take some inspiration from the Vive DAS and Rift S halo.

Note that the Elite Strap with battery, which does look cool, does not work with Link:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"