cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nausea thread - how do i get used to the rift?

slugger
Honored Guest
hey there,

i read a lot posts about getting vr-sick and nausea from using the rift but also nearly everyone mentioned that it's getting better every day. so ... not for me it seems ... and that's a shame. it also seems this topic isn't very popular even it's probably affecting a lot people.

im having my rift since 3 days now but unfortunatly i really can't use it for longer then a few mins (which makes developing for it pretty hard). even on day 3 after like 5mins of playing half life 2 (which is giving me the best experience so far) i can't use the rift for the rest of the day because im feeling pretty dizzy. i never tried pushing trough it because i know it would make things worse.

standing still and just looking around seems to be ok (more or less), but as soon as i start walking it's like im trying to read a book while sitting in the car (some ppl might understand what i mean).

for now it seems like im making little to no progress in getting my vr-legs. i also thought about buying pills against seasickness but taking pills to use the rift can't be the right way.

does anyone have an idea how to ease this kind of reaction to vr or is there anyone who also got dizzy very fast and can tell how long it took them to get their vr-legs?
176 REPLIES 176

RedAndBlue
Honored Guest
"JCat" wrote:
@RedAndBlue -

Thank you for your extensive reply. I'm prepping for the big day Monday, and will start off on the recommended demos and work my way up to insanity. 😄

No problem, I know how much I was scouring the forums to prepare before I got my Rift. Have fun when you get your new toy! Just remember, if you get nauseous: "It gets better!"

AryaX
Honored Guest
In the Tuscany demo it seems that if I move around at all, it only takes seconds until I start to feel rather nauseous.
But if I lower the default FOV from the 111 to somewhere around 90 it doesn't feel quite as bad (I still get nauseous
over time and some movements accelerate it but in general it takes much longer) and if I take the FOV somewhere
well under 90, its back to being virtual vomiting medicine again...

So it seems to me the "VR sickness" is at least partially about the game using wrong FOV... :roll:

The Oculus Config Util, that came with the Tuscany Demo gives me some measure of my IPD but what about FOV ??
Is there are any program for measuring your exact FOV with the Rift ??

geekmaster
Protege
I close my eyes while turning with an external controller, turning only in small steps. Dynamic FoV reduction based on turning speed may also help, as does dimming the screen somewhat while turning. Another software trick that may work is "black-frame insertion" while turning.

Here is a "black frame insertion" demo, so you can see how it could help with turning in VR:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes&count=2&equalizer=1

Black-frame insertion simulates in software some of what an OLED display can give us (or a strobed backlight), but at a reduction in frame rate. But it increases stroboscopic effects, although it has been reported by some that stroboscopic motion ghosting causes less nausea for them than perceptual motion blur.

And here is a demo for perceptual (eye-tracking) motion blur (a common complaint in the Rift):
http://www.testufo.com/#test=eyetracking

So, yeah, some of these can be compensated to some extent in software, bur for now, I just turn in baby steps and close my eyes while turning with a controller. No motion sickness that way.

Nevolmon
Honored Guest
I wonder if acupressure wristbands would help? I used to use them to cope with seasickness as a kid when my dad took me offshore fishing. Basically just a tight wristband on each wrist that somehow helps with nausea.

geekmaster
Protege
"Nevolmon" wrote:
I wonder if acupressure wristbands would help? I used to use them to cope with seasickness as a kid when my dad took me offshore fishing. Basically just a tight wristband on each wrist that somehow helps with nausea.

Solution for motion sickness (Sea bands): viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3534

Motion sickness bands & Rift: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17544

But we do have what appears to be a potential "local celebrity" endorsement:
"At http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult-Wristband-Color-1-Pair/dp/B001F731N0 ). Granted, they still might be placebo, but that doesn't mean they don't work. Previously I had only clocked around 30 minutes in TF2 before feeling a little off balance. Lately, I've been feeling fine with the Rift, I guess I have gotten used to it. I don't know. But I think the bands might help.

EDIT: And like other threads on this polarizing topic (such as those linked above), prepare yourself for the potential hot debate (or flame war) to follow in this thread, unless those who participated in the above threads have mellowed with time.

mscanfp
Honored Guest
Sea Bands work for me at Great Adventure. Not feeling nauseous trumps knowing for sure whether or not it is a placebo effect.

Mike
Like to read? Cool, check out my author page on Amazon. I run free promotions all the time, and you might read something you like, http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Scanlon/e/B00KDPB88U/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

RedAndBlue
Honored Guest
"mscanfp" wrote:
Sea Bands work for me at Great Adventure. Not feeling nauseous trumps knowing for sure whether or not it is a placebo effect.

Mike

Yeah, don't take the red pill! 😄

kimjoel
Honored Guest
"Pingles" wrote:
I think it's interesting that we have folks who DO get car sick who don't seem to get VR sick.

And others that DON'T get car sick getting VR sickness.

VR sickness seems to be a different animal and may be hard to fight for folks that get it bad.

The last unscientific poll we did (MTBSD) found that most folks had no trouble at all, some had trouble for a while and a small percentage continued to have issues.

I truly think it would be worthwhile to make a VR sickness testing app. An app that gave a menu of different scenarios to try so people could test themselves in different situations. Perhaps it could be used to pinpoint exactly what teh culprit is as far as game environments go. The app could even dump results back to a server to compile information. If you used personal IDs you could even track the effects over time.

I get zero seasickness on boats or scuba diving, even with severe waves. I have a private pilots license and do aerobatics without getting any nausea at all. I lasted about 20mins in the rift before I felt so sick I had to take them off. As long as I have my eyes open and can see a horizon, I get no sickness no matter the activity, except on the rift!

I think the mismatch of acceleration between the visuals and the inner ear is what causes it for me. As long as I am not moving in the rift it is okay. As soon as there is any in game acceleration that the rest of my body cannot feel, it protests quite violently. My mum gets motion sickness so severely she can't even ride a boat. The old lady spent hours in the rift no problems and I left it at her house for now.

planetarian
Honored Guest
discovering the intense nauseous feeling that the rift causes me was perhaps the saddest moment in recent memory for me. I've had my rift for several months now, and was eager to start playing with it and see what could be done with it, but to my despair it's simply sat upon a shelf most of the time.

I've been looking forward to widely-accepted HMDs and VR and such for ages, and now that it's finally here I can't enjoy it. Within seconds of launching a game I feel terribly carsick, to varying degrees depending on the game, but it's gotten to the point where even imagining myself playing the Rift makes me feel nauseous.

I've never had problems with boats, roller coasters, etc... but I'm the kind of person that starts feeling intense nausea if I start reading in a car. This is that very same feeling. It's quite terrible =(

drash
Heroic Explorer
Sorry to hear that planetarian! I'm hoping the new display tech in the Crystal Cove prototype solves that for you.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com