New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook Connect 7 - Stuff n Thaangs

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,769 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Calibos said:
    Rift S is dead next Spring. Told Ya!!

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-killing-oculus-rift/
    Obvious. I think most people knew this was coming. But what it ultimately means is all the prototype tech we've seen will hopefully make it into Quest 3/4/5 etc. 

Really, I think some people still believe Rift -S 2 is coming. I agree that there won't be a Rift -S 2 and that this will be an all in one Oculus Quest. 

I'm waiting on the discussion.. Decisions, Descisons, PC-VR or all in one!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,365 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Calibos said:

Obvious. I think most people knew this was coming. But what it ultimately means is all the prototype tech we've seen will hopefully make it into Quest 3/4/5 etc. 

Really, I think some people still believe Rift S is coming. I agree that there won't be a Rift S and that this will be an all in one Oculus Quest. 

I'm waiting on the discussion.. Decisions, Descisons, PC-VR or all in one!

I'm still hopeful, of course. But we'll find out today, right? I normally dismiss 2nd hand info, but considering that the author of that "Killing Rift" article is from Heaney, then I feels like it carries a bit more truth to it. I doubt Heaney would post something that he hasn't confirmed.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,022 Valuable Player
    Calibos said:

Yeah I have been saying it was all moving to Quest for a while now and got a lot of pushback on it.
    This one is no surprise to me.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Neo_33Neo_33 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Ordered the 64 GB version with carrying case. Will probably ask for the head strap accessory for Christmas. 
    edited September 16
    From RoadtoVR:
    "On Quest 2, the screen door effect is basically invisible."

Lenses are the pretty much the same. Same fov, sweet spot and god rays.
    Sound is about equal to Quest.
    "When I use the soft strap I find that there’s more pressure than I’d like on my forehead."
    "The good news is that the Elite Strap design is excellent—I’d say Oculus’ best headstrap yet—which makes me really wish they just included it by default."
    "The Quest 2 controllers are actually a bit larger than the original Rift CV1 controllers as well."
    "The Quest 2 haptics are notably more powerful than their predecessors."

Quest 2 controllers aren't compatible with Rift-S or Quest.

You can't change IPD while wearing the headset, so its inconvenient to test if you don't know your IPD already (ie. most people new to vr).

Same cameras, but slightly better low light.

Quest 2 will use 90Hz for the UI, but not for games. Game 90Hz will be released later.

(Bits not in quotes are my summary)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,270 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Yeh announcing some good games on the horizon. Now the stinker will be if they stop revive from working. That will then force people to buy the Quest 2 if they want to play them (that's if they are exclusive). At least MOH comes to Steam as well. Hopefully this is indicative of the other games as well.

System Specs: RTX 3090 , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,539 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Zenbane said:

Quest comes with optional Halo strap. Nice!

See I don't like halo straps - and to me, that isn't a halo strap. The halo strap on the Rift S (the one I don't like) is a complete circular strap/band with the headset attached to it. This one is an extended semi-circular strap with the headset an integral part, very similar to the Index, which to me is the best one - so I don't have a problem with this one, I would probably really like it.

But I won't order until next year. I'm happy with Quest 1 and Index for now - it covers all my needs. Next year, all the extra goodies should be available for Quest 2 as well, so best to wait, I think. That also gives the opportunity to watch and read all the reviews and opinions and make an informed decision.

• CalibosCalibos Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    Ordered 2x 64gb HMD's, 2x Elite Headstrap with Battery and 2x Link Cables. RIP my Visa @ €1200.

One for me and one for Bro.

Diappointed with Audio Solutions. DOn't like in ears and the Logitech Gaming PRO is literally the same as the regular version except with short cable. Even the promo photo's look silly.
    nalex66 said:
    Huh. $80 CAD more for Quest 2 256GB than Quest 1 64GB.
    Here the Quest 64GB was $649au.
    The Quest 2 256GB is $639au.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,022 Valuable Player
    Yeh announcing some good games on the horizon. Now the stinker will be if they stop revive from working. That will then force people to buy the Quest 2 if they want to play them (that's if they are exclusive). At least MOH comes to Steam as well. Hopefully this is indicative of the other games as well.

Great regarding MOH coming to Steam! 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,908 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    (Mod edit: There's no place for sexist jokes on these forums.)
    edited September 16
    F*** Meeee. That tested "review" is an infomercial. No respect for those guys now calling it a review.  Incredible. At least he admits that Link isn't up to scratch though.

Try this review

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

THE TAKEAWAY: BULLET POINTS FOR THIS REVIEW

A better screen, both in pixel resolution and refresh rate.

90Hz, but when? Facebook isn't clear about higher frame rate support.

More powerful wireless-VR hardware, which powers nifty under-the-hood tricks.

Less battery life. You'll barely exceed two hours of gaming on a single charge.

A cheaper, flimsier headstrap. You can pay more for a nicer one.

A baffling change to the "IPD" slider. Only certain skulls need apply.

The controllers are the same... but worse. I'm a bit shocked by this one.

The F-word. Yeah, we'll get into that.

• synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Well !!
    I did not get the impression the Quest 1 will stop being supported any time soon which is great news although obviously you cannot really sell the Quest 1 for a higher price than the new Quest 2 so i doubt there will be any more available.
    Could be a win win all round. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,938 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    nalex66 said:
    Huh. $80 CAD more for Quest 2 256GB than Quest 1 64GB.
    Here the Quest 64GB was $649au.
    The Quest 2 256GB is $639au.

I realized after the fact that the difference basically equals the sales tax that they've previously included in the price. It will be interesting to see if other retailers list it at the Oculus store prices ($459 and $629 CAD) and then add tax on top, or if they have a lower list price plus tax.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,365 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Calibos said:

Yeah I have been saying it was all moving to Quest for a while now and got a lot of pushback on it.
    This one is no surprise to me.

But you did also say that the Oculus name/brand was getting removed. You and kevin doubled down on that quite a bit. Yet it turned out to be false.

If the Rift = Dead prediction turns out true, then cool. 1 out of 2 predictions aint bad.  :)
    I don't know about other regions, but for me the battery strap is listed as Unavailable. But Zenbane's pic showed it added to the cart.

So the default strap is worse than Quest 1 and weight is barely lighter (probably the strap difference makes up a lot of that). I'm already concerned about it hurting my face like Quest.
    The battery strap should help (more weight to the back to balance). But a rigid strap with larger box on the back (compared to Quest 1) sucks if you want to watch movies while sitting in a high back chair or lying down.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,533 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    I think them saying we have a much better way to play pc-vr content than the Rift leaves much to the imagination. Sticking the knife in the Rift S users seems a little unnecessary. 
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Just watching the unboxing in another thread i can see " White" being a big issue and getting grubby very quickly especially that fabric strap in fact the reviewer commented he could already see marks.
    IPD adjustment seems very cheap and clicky ( perhaps im wrong ) but externally it does have a cheaper plastic look which is fair enough considering the price.

I probably will get one later but i think i will let others do that first and see what they think.
    :)
    OmegaM4N said:
    Oh so the Rift is dead, in the future at least. Well at least we won’t have to argue about that anymore.
    I spit my coffee out when she trolled Rift S users by telling them the best way to play PCVR was with the Quest II and the link cable...that was just mean. lol
    Well, the Rift-S isn't even the best Rift for PCVR. :)
    I was just playing Audica while waiting for the conference. I've got a Rift-S and Quest connected to my PC, but I used my CV1.

(I do like the Rift-S for things like Elite Dangerous, but that will become the job of the Reverb G2 I ordered today. My CV1 is still the go-to headset for dark games and things with good audio)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,769 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    kojack said:
    I don't know about other regions, but for me the battery strap is listed as Unavailable. But Zenbane's pic showed it added to the cart.

So the default strap is worse than Quest 1 and weight is barely lighter (probably the strap difference makes up a lot of that). I'm already concerned about it hurting my face like Quest.
    The battery strap should help (more weight to the back to balance). But a rigid strap with larger box on the back (compared to Quest 1) sucks if you want to watch movies while sitting in a high back chair or lying down.

Shaving things off makes things cheaper that's why you have to pay for these comfort addons. A single LCD display will have saved them some money instead of using Oled displays too.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,539 Valuable Player
    I'm chuckling at the memory of all those who were praying that MoH would not be made for Quest 2 - now it may look better in that than anything else. Of course they will disagree - but I don't care - mirth!

Just watching the unboxing in another thread i can see " White" being a big issue and getting grubby very quickly especially that fabric strap in fact the reviewer commented he could already see marks.
    The Quest's fabric body gets dirty from handling and is much harder to clean than a removable strap.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 935
    3Jane
    kojack said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Oh so the Rift is dead, in the future at least. Well at least we won’t have to argue about that anymore.
    I spit my coffee out when she trolled Rift S users by telling them the best way to play PCVR was with the Quest II and the link cable...that was just mean. lol
    Well, the Rift-S isn't even the best Rift for PCVR. :)
    I was just playing Audica while waiting for the conference. I've got a Rift-S and Quest connected to my PC, but I used my CV1.

(I do like the Rift-S for things like Elite Dangerous, but that will become the job of the Reverb G2 I ordered today. My CV1 is still the go-to headset for dark games and things with good audio)

You know i had made peace somewhat with the fact that the Vr industry are going to ditch oled and go for the cheaper LCD, but now you have poked my OCD on the matter again. lol
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,938 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:

Yeah, the battery strap is not yet available in Canada either. I was thinking that I should have ordered one of the Elite straps, then noticed that the battery one includes the carry case (which I already ordered). I wonder why they would bundle it like that, when it's presumably the same case (which says it fits both versions of the Elite strap).

Anyway, the basic Elite strap can be ordered on its own, so I can always get it later after trying the standard strap. I already have a nice Anker battery pack I can use, so I don't know that I need one built into my headstrap.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited September 16
    snowdog said:
    I want to work at Facebook, going by the women appearing on this stream they seem like really nice work colleges . 😎😂
    Lol I can tell you're from the old school, but in these times you cannot publicly say things like that man and not expect any "consequences".

:D